Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

At what age can you start weight lifting?

Dr.Chowder

Dr.Chowder

Mar 24, 2023
Very true.

Not to take this off into a rabbit hole, but it might be a good idea to talk about AAS sooner than later. My son (18) started talking a lot about steroids the last couple years. I would let him just run his mouth for the most part and correct him occasionally. He had no idea I used. Well this year he said some of his friends were using tren and were injecting insulin in the locker room right in front of him before their workout. Before he went out and did something stupid I sat him down, went over my 20+ years of use and told him when it did come time for him to consider AAS (still several years away) I will be there for him. He has not brought it up since.

If you don't think AAS is in your high schools then you are blind. This is rural MO. Not a big school in CA, TX or FL. I couldn't even imagine the use in the big schools.
Thanks for your comment here. It was very insightful to me and I actually read it out loud to my wife because we have a 13 year old that is well into puberty so I have been doing simple weight lifting with him to start him right like everyone else here. I really appreciate you being considerate enough to think of this topic and bring it up because I wasn't thinking about AAS pressure in school at all until I read this.

L

lamarclark09

Mar 13, 2023
It’s the right decision. At this age or for any beginner, Strength training is all about building a foundation, not just weight lifting. Strength training has become a valuable part of the overall fitness world. Young athletes can begin their strength training at around 12 years. It includes many benefits like strengthening bones, reducing the risk of injury and more.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
I have not really looked up the best or recommended age to start lifting for kids. I did notice that Dr. Karl Nodolski has his kids lifting weights, and they are young. I would probably still concentrate more on cvardio exercises because from what I see, most kids, especially after this Covid BS, are worthless in cardiovascular exercises. About a third of the 5th graders at my school could not complete the mile under 15 minutes by either walking/jogging or running. It's pathetic. Gaining size is cool, but if they can't even do anything without getting tired, it doesn't help them much...imo. At young ages, they should be running circles and not getting so tired in sports and physical activities like they are right now. This of course does not apply to those kids who have it together, but it's what I am seeing out in the field right now. They are effin' lazy, and they complain when having to do anything physical.

I think cardiovascular exercises combined with some light strength training would be best for them.<-----opinion, not based on facts.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Back in the mid-90's when I was in high school, a large portion of the boys were already using AAS. There were a handful of girls as well, sadly. It's been a thing for a long time now so I agree on keeping an eye on them in that age range. There were actually a few guys who used them in junior high/middle school as well believe it or not. They all used orals.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
I don't think there's a set age. The way I've looked at it is yes weightlifting puts some stress on the skeletal structure but if done correctly it would be in a positive way. I know years ago there was some blabber about stunting growth by lifting weights too soon which I have never seen any proof that that is even a factor.

But I think about the way kids play they jump off swings they jump out of trees they do all kinds of stuff that put a lot more stress on their structural frame than weight lifting properly would ever do and they have an outlawed playgrounds as of yet.

My grandson was lifting weights when he was seven or eight. He is almost 15 and he's bigger than I am. Didn't stunt his growth whatsoever

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic