SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

A fun experiment

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Hey GS,

Was solely your hemoglobin high on your blood work, or did you say elsewhere that your iron levels were also high? Just curious whether you, or others, that have more experience on the carnivore lifestyle notice this as a common occurrence.

If your doc suggested it was due to high quantities of red meat, what percentage of calories on the carnivore diet consisted of red meats vs. other carnivore compliant foods?

The reason I'm asking is that I've been chewing on the carnivore diet protocol for the last couple of months, and while I haven't yet pulled the trigger, I'm giving it some serious thought. Thanks in advance.
I did speak with a Dr about it. I was pretty honest with him. (He is a TRT friendly Doc) He said that in his opinion the combination of TRT+High Red meat and the fact I had not given blood in a while is what did it. They limit me to every 56 days and he said I need to be in there on the dot. I'm also going to take it on myself when I'm back on carnivore to sub some of the beef with other sources. Even before carnivore I hovered around 17-17.5. He also wants to see me next month to see where I'm at.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
So you can ask your Doc this, but all that iron is collecting in your liver. You’ll need to be pretty strict with donating for a few years and not eating anything with iron in it. It took me about 3 years of doing the above to actually be at the high end of normal when I went to donate. Your liver will slowly release that iron. The last thing you will want are liver issues.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
So you can ask your Doc this, but all that iron is collecting in your liver. You’ll need to be pretty strict with donating for a few years and not eating anything with iron in it. It took me about 3 years of doing the above to actually be at the high end of normal when I went to donate. Your liver will slowly release that iron. The last thing you will want are liver issues.
Yeah If I remember correctly he said he would like to see me at 16 or below. He also mentioned some other tests he would like to do when I go back next month.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
I figured I’d include this as it relates to a couple things going on here that at least a couple people are sincerely interested in: trt / test use, carnivore diet (red meat specifically at question), iron and hemoglobin levels.

So I’ve been 95%+ (on average) carnivore ever since 6/1/2018. In that time I’ve discovered that with the amount of red meat in my carnivore diet — currently an approximate 1.5-2lbs red meat included most days of the week (been much more in the past), the “trt” dose ceiling for keeping both my hemoglobin (hg / hgb) and hematocrit (hct) levels within “normal” range, is 150mg every 5 days. If I go over that 2 or 3 consecutive weeks, my blood markers creep into the “high” / flagged range.
Ferritin levels (a measure used for iron load / buildup) typically ranges between 150-200 for me no matter the red meat, liver or test dosage I’m at. “Normal” high end / max for an adult male is in the 300+ range.
I include liver (1-2oz) most days of my diet, and being an organ meat, it is generally considered to be most problematic for iron sensitive people.

We all vary in our responses, but I figured I’d include how it all functions for me personally.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I figured I’d include this as it relates to a couple things going on here that at least a couple people are sincerely interested in: trt / test use, carnivore diet (red meat specifically at question), iron and hemoglobin levels.

So I’ve been 95%+ (on average) carnivore ever since 6/1/2018. In that time I’ve discovered that with the amount of red meat in my carnivore diet — currently an approximate 1.5-2lbs red meat included most days of the week (been much more in the past), the “trt” dose ceiling for keeping both my hemoglobin (hg / hgb) and hematocrit (hct) levels within “normal” range, is 150mg every 5 days. If I go over that 2 or 3 consecutive weeks, my blood markers creep into the “high” / flagged range.
Ferritin levels (a measure used for iron load / buildup) typically ranges between 150-200 for me no matter the red meat, liver or test dosage I’m at. “Normal” high end / max for an adult male is in the 300+ range.
I include liver (1-2oz) most days of my diet, and being an organ meat, it is generally considered to be most problematic for iron sensitive people.

We all vary in our responses, but I figured I’d include how it all functions for me personally.
Thanks for this! I actually spoke with a mutual friend of ours Dr. Baker a few days ago about it. Of course with the standard disclaimers out of the way (giving an assessment over the phone based on what the other Dr had said) he said he thought it might be more related to my TRT dose than diet. I've have reduced my test from 250mg per week to 200mg every 10 days.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Thanks for this! I actually spoke with a mutual friend of ours Dr. Baker a few days ago about it. Of course with the standard disclaimers out of the way (giving an assessment over the phone based on what the other Dr had said) he said he thought it might be more related to my TRT dose than diet. I've have reduced my test from 250mg per week to 200mg every 10 days.
Having reduced your test to 200mg every 10 days is good. Though I’d recommend splitting that up as 100mg every 5 days.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Having reduced your test to 200mg every 10 days is good. Though I’d recommend splitting that up as 100mg every 5 days.
Do you think it would make much difference considering I'm taking Test U?

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Do you think it would make much difference considering I'm taking Test U?
With test U, likely very little. But “may” possibly be one more additional step that helps tip things to your advantage with regard to a healthy blood homeostasis.
Particularly if your test U is from a UGL, I’d rather error on the side of caution and use it like a test e or c dosing regimen.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Very helpful and constructive conversation. Thanks guys, much appreciated!

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Today's weight 213.7

Most of the aches and pains I got rid of on carnivore are back. Food and sugar cravings are insane. Still in a caloric deficit. Food so far was a double quarter pounder wit cheese and apple pie. Supper will be a bag of trail mix. That should put me at 3080 calories for the day. 920 less than baseline.

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
GL, what’s your goal weight?

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
GL, what’s your goal weight?
I don't have one. I'm purposely putting myself in a caloric deficit so as to not gain weight. I'm eating on average 1,000 calories per day less than I was. Weight today 214 even. That's a 14 pound gain over the last 12 days by dropping my calories drastically and changing the macros.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic