Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

10 Top Plant Protein Sources

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
How would these protein sources compare if you replaced some of your protein sources of meat with these ?

I'm not a huge meat eater. I like steak, but its high in calories and cholesterol.

I was kind of hoping for a different protein source that doesn't need to be cooked.

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2013
Meat has an amazing AA profile, but in regards to a high protein diet and the inanely large amino acid pool ingested over the course of the day, saying one protein source is better than the other becomes moot from a body comp standpoint.

Oh, dietary cholesterol has nil effect on blood cholesterol ;)

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
what's wrong with cholesterol? YOu don't like producing testosterone or something?

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
How would these protein sources compare if you replaced some of your protein sources of meat with these ?

I'm not a huge meat eater. I like steak, but its high in calories and cholesterol.

I was kind of hoping for a different protein source that doesn't need to be cooked.

To add to what Diesel said, based on what we currently know, it's the trans fats that raise cholesterol. I know there are currently some new findings that might help us pinpoint more accurately what causes it as well though.

Notice you don't see any nuts up there! If you look at the protein profiles as well as the omegas, calorie for calorie, they are WAY better than nuts.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
what's wrong with cholesterol? YOu don't like producing testosterone or something?

All of my cholesterol profiles are bad and the dr was telling me how important it is to get it down and prescribed Crestor.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
To add to what Diesel said, based on what we currently know, it's the trans fats that raise cholesterol. I know there are currently some new findings that might help us pinpoint more accurately what causes it as well though.

Notice you don't see any nuts up there! If you look at the protein profiles as well as the omegas, calorie for calorie, they are WAY better than nuts.

Also, just to add some more to my question. I get tired of checking to see if the chicken is thoroughly cooked. It would be nice to just open a package and get your protein, or not have to worry about Salmonella.

So let's use my protein macros as an example.

I need 265g of protein for the day. If I consume 165 grams of protein from meat sources, that leaves me with 100 grams to fill in.

If I fill in the 100 grams with plant sources, are 100 grams of plant sources equivalent to 100 grams of meat sources ?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Quinoa and lentils are great sources of carbs. Far better imho than rice be it brown, wild, etc....

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Also, just to add some more to my question. I get tired of checking to see if the chicken is thoroughly cooked. It would be nice to just open a package and get your protein, or not have to worry about Salmonella.

So let's use my protein macros as an example.

I need 265g of protein for the day. If I consume 165 grams of protein from meat sources, that leaves me with 100 grams to fill in.

If I fill in the 100 grams with plant sources, are 100 grams of plant sources equivalent to 100 grams of meat sources ?

If you eat a variety, then I would say this will be a good diet in general. Eating 165g of meat sources alone is a great thing, then you add in the plant sources and I think it the long run, it will be a healthier option, without the penalty of losing muscle gains.

Originally it was thought that you had to sit down and eat certain plant based proteins in one sitting. Then, the doctor who wrote that recanted and realized you can get what you need through out the entire day instead and you will be good to go. It is equal? No, simply because of the nutrients. There are things you get in meats that you can't get in plants alone (B vitamins, vitamin D...). Once you get those from your meats though, then the plant based ones will rival that of the meats.

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2013
All of my cholesterol profiles are bad and the dr was telling me how important it is to get it down and prescribed Crestor.

Cutting out dietary cholesterol won't have any effect. If he wants to prescribe you a statin, then its hereditary.

Before you go the statin route, grab some Nimbus cadence and get a lipid panel done again in a month or two.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011

It is not hard to cook chicken Turbo and if you cook thighs instead of breast or tenderloins you'll find the meat to juicier b/c of the fat content in it. The fat also isn't bad for you. Don't get caught up on all the bullshit out there these days.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Get a digital food thermometer too, Turbo. They are really fast and accurate. Chicken should be about 165 degrees. The FDA says 180, but don't do that unless you want to eat rubber.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic