Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

How much do you save?

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
I am far more of a saver and investor than a big spender.

I read "The Millionaire Next Door" back in '96 or so when it first came out, and it had a tremendous impact on me.

I max out a SEP IRA each year, and put away as much cash as I can each week into taxable investment accounts and some in a savings account. I'm pretty good at this investment stuff.

I put just enough into my checking account each week to pay the bills and have a little spending money. I use a credit card perhaps 1-2 times a month for small purchases, then pay it off at the end of the month.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
30% of net income/month back into futures trading account. S&P500 e-mini. Been at it 9 years.

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
I have 10% in 403b, A roughly 10k starting fund which I have put in various IPOs, B-stocks, Direct investments (Hylete and a few Marijuana start-ups). I have a parade of classic motorcycles I buy for peanuts and restored (best returns of all my investments.) I'm also 47 with dual incomes and 1 kid which helps a fuck-ton :)
Guess I'll go ahead and buy them Hylete shoes I've been eyeballing....

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
I don't really know much about finances. I'm pretty good at making money and that's where I stall. I had $100k in a box that I kept for rainy days; I called that my 'savings'. I got wiped out in 2015-16; like down to single digits in checking account, wiped out. $100k goes quick with a wife, two kids and status quo American life. Building back out of zero now. Kept house; still have two decent vehicles (had to trade in the luxury cars)....so not totally dead. I think 10% will be our min target moving forward. Cool thread, OP.

Oh yeah....household is single income w/ 4 dependents.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Guess I'll go ahead and buy them Hylete shoes I've been eyeballing....
I got a free pair of the Grey/Red coming (investor perk) and bought a pair of Navy. If you really are interested, get 'em now before they meet the finance goals and they're like $80. I get investor pricing on everything else so the Black ones(out now) are $90 for me (50% off retail all the time and free shipping) if you were looking at them. PM me and I can buy them for you and you can PayPal me a gift for the cost.

They fit like the old New Balance Minimus cross trainers and weigh next to nothing.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I am far more of a saver and investor than a big spender.

I read "The Millionaire Next Door" back in '96 or so when it first came out, and it had a tremendous impact on me.

I try to tell all my people that you can control your costs much better than you can control your income. You see the light bulb go off for some, and others just look at me like I've got horns growing out of my head! LOL

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I try to tell all my people that you can control your costs much better than you can control your income. You see the light bulb go off for some, and others just look at me like I've got horns growing out of my head! LOL
Can you call my wife for me please TG2, I say the same thing every damn day as another box comes from Amazon.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Can you call my wife for me please TG2, I say the same thing every damn day as another box comes from Amazon.

You'd say "doctor, heal thyself", as my wife is presently remodeling our kitchen... holy shit!

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I was pretty good at saving, still have my pension and Roth IRA. Had some crazy issues happen a few years ago so I ended up with a nice chunk of debt. Working to get that all paid off. Haven’t been able to put as much into savings and my Roth like I wanted to. However, 10-20% is my goal into savings and investing.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012

Warren Buffett drives a car that costs well under $100k and lives in a home worth barely $1 mil.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Just curious as to what some of you guys are putting away. I never know if I am saving more than the average person or less and any article you read never really answers the question. I currently put about 11% pre-tax in a 401K and then 10% post-tax in a stock plan which I use as a sort of forced savings.
I know much of this is based on salary and lifestyle, but interested to see some of the responses.

If its not too personal, for the 10% stock plan, do you do your own picks or work with a broker?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic