Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

Bench press strength training for ORM

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Your the first person who has ever 'replied' to a post I made about DC training. The first time I used it I had a big increase in my bench. An all time high. I was gaining strength so fast I ended up hurting my shoulder and needing surgery for a tendon repair. I haven't used it since but my shoulders are finally good to go, thanks to BPC157. Highly recommended. I didn't use tb500 with it because I'm on GH.
I had a similar experience. I started in DC in 2007 and was benching 225x10 to start. After about a year I was doing 405x8. I too was getting stronger than my joints could handle, so I changed it up. I would do the standard DC rep range for one month then go to a 20-25 rep range the next month. I tried this for about six months and started seeing some improvement. Ended up going on a long deployment to Afghanistan on a COP with no weights. I ended up just running circles around the COP and doing bodyweight exercises, dropped from 255 lbs to 195 lbs that deployment. Took 10 years off from any serious lifting due to injuries. Started DC back up in March 2020. I have had to modify it a bit, being older now, but still my favorite training style.

Reactions: ceo
S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
I had a similar experience. I started in DC in 2007 and was benching 225x10 to start. After about a year I was doing 405x8. I too was getting stronger than my joints could handle, so I changed it up. I would do the standard DC rep range for one month then go to a 20-25 rep range the next month. I tried this for about six months and started seeing some improvement. Ended up going on a long deployment to Afghanistan on a COP with no weights. I ended up just running circles around the COP and doing bodyweight exercises, dropped from 255 lbs to 195 lbs that deployment. Took 10 years off from any serious lifting due to injuries. Started DC back up in March 2020. I have had to modify it a bit, being older now, but still my favorite training style.
Not only does it work freakishly well, but he gives you definitive times to either inc. weight, reps, or when to change your lift if your not making either of those gains ie. flat bb bench to flat db bench. Extremely well thought out program. At first it seems really confusing, but once you break it down and start using it, it's really a very basic program.

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
I’m not a power lifter but the sport is very interesting to me. I have listen to a lot of Dave Tates Table Talk podcasts and learned a bit. Highly recommend. He interviews a lot of pros and gets into detail of their training. One I recently listened to was with the guy that holds the bench record. I was surprised to learn how important strong legs are for bench and things like that. Two exercises I haven’t heard u mention are incline bench and squats in your training. Sound very important for bench from what I hear. Although incline bench my be bad for your shoulders. Maybe that why u don’t do them? They go over form and everything. Like how they show someone how to lift properly and their lift goes up by like 100lbs instantly. Things u don’t realize that can make a big difference. How you push off your feet. Idk, u probably already know all this stuff but very interesting to me me and I still have a lot to learn.

I’m also curious about your surgery. I said they removed part of your thyroid. So you are now on thyroid medication? That can take some time to dial in. And I would bet once u do that can help as well. If you’re interested I can find this article on taking your thyroid medicine in line with your circadian rhythm to better replicate what happens naturally. Let me know. If your dosage is too high you’re gonna be more catabolic and could be affecting your strength too. Something your gonna have to play around with to find what works for you and could take years.

3084life

Mar 29, 2023
I’m not a power lifter but the sport is very interesting to me. I have listen to a lot of Dave Tates Table Talk podcasts and learned a bit. Highly recommend. He interviews a lot of pros and gets into detail of their training. One I recently listened to was with the guy that holds the bench record. I was surprised to learn how important strong legs are for bench and things like that. Two exercises I haven’t heard u mention are incline bench and squats in your training. Sound very important for bench from what I hear. Although incline bench my be bad for your shoulders. Maybe that why u don’t do them? They go over form and everything. Like how they show someone how to lift properly and their lift goes up by like 100lbs instantly. Things u don’t realize that can make a big difference. How you push off your feet. Idk, u probably already know all this stuff but very interesting to me me and I still have a lot to learn.

I’m also curious about your surgery. I said they removed part of your thyroid. So you are now on thyroid medication? That can take some time to dial in. And I would bet once u do that can help as well. If you’re interested I can find this article on taking your thyroid medicine in line with your circadian rhythm to better replicate what happens naturally. Let me know. If your dosage is too high you’re gonna be more catabolic and could be affecting your strength too. Something your gonna have to play around with to find what works for you and could take years.
I'm definitely NOT a powerlifter, I'm a bench guy. A little supporting info... I had a major injury to my right knee when I was 15 that left me with a nasty limp and limited normal movement in that joint. 35 years later and a couple surgeries later its a functional knee but not a very stable one. During those last 35 years of modifying movements to accommodate the knee has left me with hip issues, so leg work is out, unless I want to suffer for months after. I do air squats with a 45 pound plate to keep some muscle, but nothing even remotely close to the upper body. I'm the poster child for "skipped leg day", but my ability to walk and live without pain is more important to me than a squat or DL number. If anyone is interested last PRs on them were 350\390, I was in pain for 3 months after. I could hire a PT or DR to help with it but I'm 54 years old, I'm ok with where I am. But yes leg drive is a major component to a heavy bench for me so some leg strength is needed. As for Incline, that would be the death of me using any more weight than the bar, but I do a lot of accessory work that wasn't listed, I was just covering the heavy stuff, there's a lot that's done with bands, DBs and cables that I didn't type out.

As for the thyroid... 1/2 of it was removed, and levels are a tad low but nothing to worrisome. I'm scheduled for tests every 6 months. My issues was with clearing the anesthesia. I felt like I was still in recovery 9 days post, it drained everything out of me. I wasn't eating, or able to lift, I was walking like I was drunk. It really took about 3 weeks before I felt 90%. I'm still not sure if I'm 100%, and that alone is scary, but for another thread.

Backing up... I take what the pros say with the grain of salt. Many of them forgot what they were doing when they were at my level, and the steps they took to get where they are now. While the fundamentals are basically the same, there's a huge difference between a 500 pounder benchers workout and a 300 pound benchers workout, add in a sprinkle of pharmaceutical assistance and it's a whole nother world. I'm not saying that one can't benefit from their knowledge, but modifications need to me made for a lifter that's not as skilled.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I'm definitely NOT a powerlifter, I'm a bench guy. A little supporting info... I had a major injury to my right knee when I was 15 that left me with a nasty limp and limited normal movement in that joint. 35 years later and a couple surgeries later its a functional knee but not a very stable one. During those last 35 years of modifying movements to accommodate the knee has left me with hip issues, so leg work is out, unless I want to suffer for months after. I do air squats with a 45 pound plate to keep some muscle, but nothing even remotely close to the upper body. I'm the poster child for "skipped leg day", but my ability to walk and live without pain is more important to me than a squat or DL number. If anyone is interested last PRs on them were 350\390, I was in pain for 3 months after. I could hire a PT or DR to help with it but I'm 54 years old, I'm ok with where I am. But yes leg drive is a major component to a heavy bench for me so some leg strength is needed. As for Incline, that would be the death of me using any more weight than the bar, but I do a lot of accessory work that wasn't listed, I was just covering the heavy stuff, there's a lot that's done with bands, DBs and cables that I didn't type out.

As for the thyroid... 1/2 of it was removed, and levels are a tad low but nothing to worrisome. I'm scheduled for tests every 6 months. My issues was with clearing the anesthesia. I felt like I was still in recovery 9 days post, it drained everything out of me. I wasn't eating, or able to lift, I was walking like I was drunk. It really took about 3 weeks before I felt 90%. I'm still not sure if I'm 100%, and that alone is scary, but for another thread.

Backing up... I take what the pros say with the grain of salt. Many of them forgot what they were doing when they were at my level, and the steps they took to get where they are now. While the fundamentals are basically the same, there's a huge difference between a 500 pounder benchers workout and a 300 pound benchers workout, add in a sprinkle of pharmaceutical assistance and it's a whole nother world. I'm not saying that one can't benefit from their knowledge, but modifications need to me made for a lifter that's not as skilled.
There is a lot of truth behind the difference in training between someone who is benching 300 and 500 lbs. I was reading the program posted on someone else's log where they would train a body part 3 times a week at moderately heavy weight, performing 30-50 reps over a number of sets each day. For someone with a 300 lbs max, lifting 85% of their max that many times per day may (probably still not likely) recover by their next workout. For someone with a 500 lbs max, there is no way in hell they will recover by the next workout. They will not even be recovered by the next workout.

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022

Sorry to hear about your knee. Yeah, makes sense. I figured you knew what U were doing. Wasn’t trying to imply otherwise. But we can always learn more is all. Could be that one thing that makes a difference for a new PR.

Good deal with the thyroid and not needing any medication! That’s crazy about the anesthesia! Hope it gets better brother.

3084life

Mar 29, 2023
Sorry to hear about your knee. Yeah, makes sense. I figured you knew what U were doing. Wasn’t trying to imply otherwise. But we can always learn more is all. Could be that one thing that makes a difference for a new PR.

Good deal with the thyroid and not needing any medication! That’s crazy about the anesthesia! Hope it gets better brother.
All good brother! I completely agree, when we are done learning we should be dead. I'm still feeling a bit off but getting better.

3084life

Mar 29, 2023
So today was another heavy bench day, and 435 went up, it was not pretty at the top so I have work to do still, but it want up after a comp pause so something I'm doing is working. I also hit a PR with sling of 665, it feels amazing to hold that kind of weight. I have only 27 days until my next meet and right now I'm going to be happy with a 420-430, and extend my time to hit that 450 for the record to the next meet in 3 months. I'll just use the meet as another heavy training day to reset %'s for training days. I'm worried about how the joints will feel when the NPP is nolonget working its wonders on them. I may end up having to do a maintenance dose, time will tell.
One issue I know I'm having is my last 700 equipped bench attempt I popped my navel, so to keep my innards in before I have it repaired I'm for the first time ever using a belt. It has really changed my setup and limited my ability to compress and tighten my back. I'm getting accustomed to it but its taking some work. It's only been a short period, and I know I'll figure it out but it sucks trying to teach this old dog new tricks!

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I never could bench with a belt on. It just felt weird as hell for me.

If you are not already taking beef collagen, tumeric, glucosamine, chondroitin and/or omega 3/fish oils for those joints, I would suggest it. Collagen helps repair the connective tissue. Tumeric relieves inflamation. Glucosamine/Chondroitin and your oils will help with lubrication.

3084life

Mar 29, 2023
I never could bench with a belt on. It just felt weird as hell for me.

If you are not already taking beef collagen, tumeric, glucosamine, chondroitin and/or omega 3/fish oils for those joints, I would suggest it. Collagen helps repair the connective tissue. Tumeric relieves inflamation. Glucosamine/Chondroitin and your oils will help with lubrication.
I'm doing glucosamine, chondroitin and omega 3/fish oils but not the rest, NPP is like god mode for making joints feel great, I just worry about how I'll feel when I come off.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
I took Twin Labs glucosamine chondroitin for yrs. and it basically did nothing. T.L. is probably the best supp. co. out there. To bad they have no longer sell supps. that I know of.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I took Twin Labs glucosamine chondroitin for yrs. and it basically did nothing. T.L. is probably the best supp. co. out there. To bad they have no longer sell supps. that I know of.
I miss Ripped Fuel.

That is another thing. Finding a reputable supplement company. Even the big-name companies sometimes have crap products, meaning they only have a small fraction of the active ingredient they say they do in the actual product. I started only using companies that are 3rd party tested by companies like, Informed Choice. Too many companies out there are 3rd party tested by their best friends or tested only once in the lifetime of the product and claim it is 3rd party tested.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic