Members
Latest Member
arcticranger

Need some powerlifters' opinions on squat/deadlift program

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
sorry about the long title but i am currently thinking of using this program to get my shitty squat up a little.

Powerlifting Heads-Up

if anyone has a better program feel free to post it or PM it to me. i am not a powerlifter myself i just like to move heavy weight lol

Last edited:
porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I'm going with : Try it and see if it works.

It's not what my team does, but it might work great for you.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Gorilla I really like 5/3/1.Slow but steady gains .

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
I'm going with : Try it and see if it works.

It's not what my team does, but it might work great for you.

thanks lol i decided on something a little different but i have no clue how to delete a thread. sorry

Gorilla I really like 5/3/1.Slow but steady gains .

i have seen that program pop up alot. i am thinking once i get back home and get a normal work/workout schedule again i am going to give that a run

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
I allways got great gains by training 5 x 3 ..twice ew.....allways start off with weight that is not to heavy ...much like around 60 persent of your max....Each week jack the weight up by 5 lbs....train for 10 weeks....i can promise u a bigger squat....But u have to realize if your looking for a bigger squat u cant be bb wile power training...Uwill become over trained...rest is the key...Stick with just your basic movements...Mstly barbell work....dw

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
I allways got great gains by training 5 x 3 ..twice ew.....allways start off with weight that is not to heavy ...much like around 60 persent of your max....Each week jack the weight up by 5 lbs....train for 10 weeks....i can promise u a bigger squat....But u have to realize if your looking for a bigger squat u cant be bb wile power training...Uwill become over trained...rest is the key...Stick with just your basic movements...Mstly barbell work....dw

great advice DW. youngster, DW knows what he is talking about! he is a machine!

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011

thanks DW.

would you recommend deadlifting while squatting this often? i can easily quit the BBing work for a while. i have in the past went to a split that was mostly centered around squat, benchpress, deadlift, and OH press. with just a few assistance exercises thrown in there.

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
thanks DW.

would you recommend deadlifting while squatting this often? i can easily quit the BBing work for a while. i have in the past went to a split that was mostly centered around squat, benchpress, deadlift, and OH press. with just a few assistance exercises thrown in there.
i feel u should never train deadlifts more then once ew..reason being the lower back takes the longest to heal..And yes assistance lifts are fine as long as it benfits your lifts...If they dont then i wouldnt mess with them..If u decide to train for power after the 10 weeks swich back to strenght training..During your strenght training u want to focus on your weak spots...For an example..If u are strong benching with a mid grip then u want to train wide and narrow..Same goes for the squats...By training your weak spots u are making your normal lifts stronger.
there is much more to explain that leads to a bigger squat but my time is limitted right now..i'll touch base later....diff styles of squat to help build a bigger squat to...dw

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
DW and RR would be the ones to talk to on this subject for sure Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
i feel u should never train deadlifts more then once ew..reason being the lower back takes the longest to heal..And yes assistance lifts are fine as long as it benfits your lifts...If they dont then i wouldnt mess with them..If u decide to train for power after the 10 weeks swich back to strenght training..During your strenght training u want to focus on your weak spots...For an example..If u are strong benching with a mid grip then u want to train wide and narrow..Same goes for the squats...By training your weak spots u are making your normal lifts stronger.
there is much more to explain that leads to a bigger squat but my time is limitted right now..i'll touch base later....diff styles of squat to help build a bigger squat to...dw

yeah i can not personally deadlift more than once a week. have tried in the past and all i did was end up with a constantly sore lower back but a deadlift that wouldnt go above 445. i have decided to go with 5/3/1. RR and a couple of guys that i follow their journal on a different forum love it.

now when you seperate power and strength training exactly what are you referrring to? i have always heard power defined as strength+speed. and usually i associate this with the oly moves. please correct me if i am wrong though.

and yes definitely interested in any advice/techniques/etc. to bring up what is still my realtively weakest lift.... the SQUAT!!!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
yeah i can not personally deadlift more than once a week. have tried in the past and all i did was end up with a constantly sore lower back but a deadlift that wouldnt go above 445. i have decided to go with 5/3/1. RR and a couple of guys that i follow their journal on a different forum love it.

now when you seperate power and strength training exactly what are you referrring to? i have always heard power defined as strength+speed. and usually i associate this with the oly moves. please correct me if i am wrong though.

and yes definitely interested in any advice/techniques/etc. to bring up what is still my realtively weakest lift.... the SQUAT!!!

I think what the big man is saying there is keep your training balanced... Switching between a powerlifters type training and a bodybuilders training periodically will cover all of your weak points. DW's opinion on training from what I gather just by reading his posts is leave no stone un-turned. If you can train it and that training leads to a heavier squat, then do so. Don't stay in one mind-set.

Kinda like the bodybuilders from Arnold's day. They would do the normal 12 rep range for hypertrophy, but would periodically hit their one rep maxes to keep strong on all of their lifts.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I will say 5/3/1 is boring.There are days that I walk out thinking "that was it?" .But I will say that I have seen my lifts steadily go up.I personally do my own accessories .I try to keep them to a 3 x10.But as you can see there are even some 20 reppers in my journal.I vary my accessories often and try to target what i think needs some work.

I can not deadlift more than once a week either without frying myself.
I went to 5/3/1 with the help of Amma's husband.I failed miserably at nationals and came in with a serious case of being overtrained.Now that I have slowed down I have seen my lifts consistantly go up.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic