Members
Latest Member
arcticranger

Newb questions. about power equipment

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Ok fellas... so I was watching George Leeman pull 800lbs for 8 reps on the tube... as I'm watching this first thing is holly shit, that man is a beast. Then I started thinking....

Why does he place his weight belt up around his sternum. Or what looks like his upper abs. ? What am I missing, or is this a new fad? His preference? is there something I don't know about?

Second is the shorts suit he is wearing. I have seen a lot of power lifters use these. Do they help with the lifts in anyway. ? Help support stuff..? or just another fashion statement.? I have been lifting all these years with out the cool shorts suit thing.

Then the question hit me, should I get me one of these fancy suits to dead lift and squat in? .... and should i be wearing my lifting belt up above my stomach muscles.?

Thanks for the input... guy...

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
As much as the belt provides lumbar support, the underlying premise is to push out what we call "big air" for a varitey of reasons. So essentially, he's pushing his air out to lock the belt in.

I'm not a pro and I don't pull anything near 800lbs, just providing the initial feedback. POB, BI and PLK can comment on a more granular level.

As far as the suit, many guys practice like they play. A singlet is required to wear in any sanctioned event across multiple feds.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Maybe Ill have to change gyms, then cause I have never seen anyone in my gym ware a singlet, and I think I would feel self consensus.... lol.... or they can just get over the fact that Im sporting new suit.... lol

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Like UHC said... that's just a singlet that the Babyslayer's wearing. Some train in them and others don't. If you're feeling a bit self conscious about wearing one, I'd suggest you actually wear one from time to time then b/c you need to feel comfortable in one.

The belt position has been talked about a bit here. Efferding also wore his belt very high. They wear it that high to give their upper/middle back more support which is where they feel they need the help. You definitely don't have to worry about it getting in the way if you're wearing your belt that high. It won't make it difficult to get into position. Personally, I don't wear mine that high but I do where it higher when I pull then when I squat.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
On him, I'd guess it's like the carnival rides' "Must be this tall to ride"...... but Babyslayer is for another post....... to answer your question.....

The singlet is required in all legitimate powerlifting competitions. I gives judges a clear view of what's going on. So, a lot of lifters choose to practice how they compete. There are divisions where you can wear a supportive version of it, but the one he's wearing isn't supportive.

The belt position thing..... belts do different things depending on where you wear them. For deadlifts, most lifters at a high level wear the belt high - where it can act as an artificial abdominal muscle. The belt doesn't really support the back, it supports your trunk by giving your abs something to push against. When you push your belly out the top is where you push out the furthest, so lifters wear the belt high to give them something to brace against. ( you work a belt by pushing out against it)
The belt can also be worn low ( usually for a squat). This puts the belt in a position to bind up between the lifter's belly and legs which can give some pop out of the hole in the squat and some stopping power in the bottom of the movement.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I use a lever belt, probably a 13mm thick one, and wear it high, just below my sternum, right over my top abs. PLK gives an excellent explanation about why and how it helps by giving something to push out against with your belly when you take a lungful of air.

I don't use knee sleeves when deadlifting. I sometimes use them while squatting. I don't wrap my knees either, but many do.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Have a inzer 13mm lever lock and love it. I definitely prefer that over prong style.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I use a lever belt, probably a 13mm thick one, and wear it high, just below my sternum, right over my top abs. PLK gives an excellent explanation about why and how it helps by giving something to push out against with your belly when you take a lungful of air.

I don't use knee sleeves when deadlifting. I sometimes use them while squatting. I don't wrap my knees either, but many do.

The bodybuilding style ones don't support the same. You need that thickness in the front to brace against.
The Inzer belts are fine, but I'd always recommend a Bob's belt or Pioneer / General Leathercraft belt over theirs.... the price is similar and the better options will outlast you and come customized however you want them. My Bob's belt is 9 years old and looks perfect. All the hardware still looks new and the suede outside is still perfect - not torn up at all... and I abuse it.

For lever vs. buckle - it's personal. I've used lever belts and they're fine, but when I went from the Inzer to a Bob's belt I went to a buckle so I could more easily adjust it to fit the different positions I wear my belt at.

For knee sleeves, the best are SBD sleeves for sure. If you don't want to pay that price then just get the single ply ones from EliteFTS ( unless you're competing in sleeves, in which case just spend the SBD money).... My EliteFTS sleeves are 3 years old and work great for training - only about $20 when I got them. And, Elite does a LOT to support powerlifting so all things equal I'll support them when I can.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
nice thanks for the advice, and product information, from all of you. Seems my gym bag will be getting just a little fuller this Friday... lol
Bobs belts say 6 to 10 weel delivery time..... haaa I need on by Monday, for training.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Porky makes an excellent point about a lever belt. I wear and prefer a lever (mine is a 10mm). The only downside is having to adjust it either looser or tighter depending on whether I'm pulling or squatting. That's the only issue.

I've been using my EliteFTS single ply's for over 3 years and they're finally showing signs of needing to be replaced but I got more then my moneys worth and I'll pick up another pair in a month or so. Haven't tried the SBD's but I know from my experience but I'll probably pick up a pair in the near future too.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I'm not a pl, rarely lift over a hundred pounds. For what it's worth though. I wear both a lever belt and the EFS knee sleeves. They have both a "heavy" and a "super heavy" sleeve. I like the lever belt because I can get it a little bit tighter than the buckle by myself. The problem, I'm on my third lever in two years. The metal keeps breaking.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic