Members
Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter

How did you all get into powerlifting?

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
House of Beasts up in here :) This is the place to find inspiration, to be held accountable and before you know it you are the one who is inspiring others. couldn't find a better group of brothers and big bad ass sisters to be around, through injuries and through big PRs at the gym and on the platform. I think about how my life is with and without being here and there is no doubt that when I'm here I feel a far greater purpose in the things I love the most and watching my power family struggle, work and achieve. Welcome back Jand!

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
House of Beasts up in here :) This is the place to find inspiration, to be held accountable and before you know it you are the one who is inspiring others. couldn't find a better group of brothers and big bad ass sisters to be around, through injuries and through big PRs at the gym and on the platform. I think about how my life is with and without being here and there is no doubt that when I'm here I feel a far greater purpose in the things I love the most and watching my power family struggle, work and achieve. Welcome back Jand!

Miss you brother. You have no idea how many people you've inspired. How
many people's lives you've touched.

B

Bigstrongfast

Aug 16, 2015
I got into powerlifting in 10th grade because I had bad knees. I went to a chiropractor who told me to squat to strengthen my knees. I went from a broom stick after double knee surgery at 17 to 500 for sets of 8 by the time I was 20. I read about Ed Coan and Louie Simmons and furthered my training. Eventually I got my little brother into lifting too. The rest is history...as he far exceeded what I've ever done. Now I just enjoy watching the new savages lift. It's amazing to see how the sport has grown.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I broke my neck in high school and was told by my PT that I was so scrawny (165# by my senior year) that I'd be in pain the rest of my life if I didn't put on some muscle.

About the same time I realized that I almost died and hadn't done anything with my life so I set the goal of being the biggest, strongest guy in the world....... it took me 9 months to bench 135 ( as a high school senior)

I lifted for myself for 5 years and then heard about a powerlifting contest at my university. I won my weight class and placed 4th overall..... then decided to seek out the best in the area to learn from them so when I graduated and got my job I started making the hour drive ( each way, three times a week) to train with one of the best teams in the country.... and it's taken off from there. In 7 months I went from a ~1300 total to over a 1700 total..... two more years got me in multi ply gear and a 2200 total drug free....... five more years and dozens of weeks on the road to train with the best of the best and I'm now around a 2600 total and still hungry.

ozzy69

ozzy69

MuscleHead
Apr 5, 2011
I just liked lifting heavy and it kinda found me

_3M_

_3M_

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2015
I broke my neck in high school and was told by my PT that I was so scrawny (165# by my senior year) that I'd be in pain the rest of my life if I didn't put on some muscle.

About the same time I realized that I almost died and hadn't done anything with my life so I set the goal of being the biggest, strongest guy in the world....... it took me 9 months to bench 135 ( as a high school senior)

I lifted for myself for 5 years and then heard about a powerlifting contest at my university. I won my weight class and placed 4th overall..... then decided to seek out the best in the area to learn from them so when I graduated and got my job I started making the hour drive ( each way, three times a week) to train with one of the best teams in the country.... and it's taken off from there. In 7 months I went from a ~1300 total to over a 1700 total..... two more years got me in multi ply gear and a 2200 total drug free....... five more years and dozens of weeks on the road to train with the best of the best and I'm now around a 2600 total and still hungry.

That's bad ass man. Freaking beast!

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
I want to watch Mr. Flex compete last year with my little one. The amazing camaraderie and friendliness of competitors/spectators had us hooked. I enjoy pushing myself and the bond with child is priceless

_3M_

_3M_

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2015
I want to watch Mr. Flex compete last year with my little one. The amazing camaraderie and friendliness of competitors/spectators had us hooked. I enjoy pushing myself and the bond with child is priceless

I definitely agree 5.0 I remember the first meet I went to watch a buddy of a buddy of mine was competing so I tagged along to see how it worked and to see if it was really something I wanted to do. Just like you said the camaraderie is like no other. I think I signed up for my first meet not too long after that. Had I known about TID before I would of joined a while ago, its great to see how everyone has progressed on their lifts from looking at peoples logs on the forum.

Reactions: 5.0
U

uncxrt

MuscleHead
Sep 7, 2015
ECB got me into it. Both of us wanted to do something with all the lifting each of us had done over the years, but no way in hell could I diet to do bbing....or wear a little thong in front of people lol

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
I got my first "bench" from Sears when I was 13 from Santa Claus...my parents didn't know they were creating a monster.
Went through various stages of legit female crazy gym addiction but weights were ALWAYS #1 . When I finally decided to ditch my ED at 26 decided to compete in natty physique; pending a torn L infraspinatus 2 weeks prior to show (which I would have freaking CRUSHED) took a while off and went back to basics. Oly lifted for a while after I ditched my shitty, food restricting ex bf; through an amazing guy at Pittsburgh Barbell Club I was introduced to Iron Sport Gym (and my current IronLifeMate SteveyP) and it was kinda status quo for some time-just lifting heavy, eating food, hating myself, cardio, etc.

Met my husband who encouraged me to FINALLY take the strength that God gave me and put it to use against other women in and above my weight class....so yeah. That was it. The only organization in my area that is active is WABDL, and as you all know, the husband is NOT keen on travel for competitions so currently limited to this area (unless Vegas, of course). Have some state and "world" records....ONLY in push pull, as here in W PA, powerlifting is NOTHING like it is elsewhere. (DL 336 Bench 171 raw at 123---which are NOT that good, really). No worries, I am on a full meet in Dec and aiming for 315/195/350 (at least) at 123. Will be natty, cranky, and hopeful.

Added strongman in April this year due to the mostly similar programming minus a few lifts/day here and there, I love learning. #sololiftersforlife has made it VERY difficult to progress in PL and this has added to the strongman lean, but VERY happy with the carry over.

I will always be a powerlifter first, strongwoman second, self hating crazy insomniac third.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic