Latest Member
angelarbatt
What's New?

Strained lower back from squats and deads

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Really hurt my lower back last Friday night doing heavy squats and speed pulls. Didn't feel anything abnormal until I came home and started cooking 30 minutes later... that's when I knew I did something to it.
The next day I was in pain and mobility was shot - enjoyed some brews during the fight and felt much better. Lots of Ibuprofen throughout the day as well. Sunday sucked and today is worse.

What can I do to fix this asap??? All the WebMD bullshit says stretches and blah blah blah.
I want real life experiences from those of us who go hard in the gym.

Back pain goes into my love handles, stops before it heads around to my stomach. Nothing wrong with hams and glutes and it's definitely not spinal (shout out to Mike Tyson!). Burns a ton and gives me acute pain when bending and twisting.

HELP.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I would say... I think it's the hips and is radiating. Check out Becoming a Supple Leopard and look up the section for that portion of your body. I think you'll find your answer in there.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Step 1. Buy two Strength Bands

Step B. Hang your giant ass upside down from the hips in the rack

Step iii **** bitches

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Soak in a hot tub or Epsom salt bath. I prefer ice over heat for most muscular injuries throughout the day

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I prefer an inversion table over hanging upside down at the gym...

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013

I like to do both, but IMO, I get much more relief when the traction is on my hips at the gym, instead of my ankles on the inversion table.

Side Note - I was at the chiro last week for a regular adjustment and he was telling me about a guy who is "inventing" an inversion table that will hang you from your hips...I lol'd and told him we've been hanging like that forever at the gym...

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Inversion tables are cool if it's done once or twice per day. When you **** yourself up though you can't beat the hip hang.

Inversion is also more for your back. Hanging like we do does more for the hips because you can move your feet around. For example, tight hip flexors? Let one leg hang behind you for two min then do the other leg. When you flip back up you can hit extension no problem. Inversion tables just aren't that radical.

Plus we look like retards at the gym doing it which is a bonus cause people leave us alone.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
Inversion tables are cool if it's done once or twice per day. When you **** yourself up though you can't beat the hip hang.

Inversion is also more for your back. Hanging like we do does more for the hips because you can move your feet around. For example, tight hip flexors? Let one leg hang behind you for two min then do the other leg. When you flip back up you can hit extension no problem. Inversion tables just aren't that radical.

Plus we look like retards at the gym doing it which is a bonus cause people leave us alone.

We have a table and your correct it's more spinal but I do also get lower back relief in muscle and erectors.

One can get some relief and stretch in the hips with kettle bell squats, I love these pre squat or deadlift because they have your glutes already firing before you touch the bar.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
I'll send schultz over to rub it out... free no charge.

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
you gotta keep moving. rotate your trunk around, and ironically, do deep bodyweight squats throughout the day.

J

Jeffbcause

Apr 25, 2015
Once again i refer to a lacrosse ball applying some trigger point therapy (deep tissue massage). a bunch of videos on YouTube but general you want to iron the fluids caused by swelling out.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
you gotta keep moving. rotate your trunk around, and ironically, do deep bodyweight squats throughout the day.

Pretty much it, I also roll against a wall with a softball and lacrosse ball around the hips and back.

The sitting piriformus stretch with a lacrosse ball under a glut is money.

People don't understand how well a kettle bell squat works, Stan Efferding was so tight they had him do them while standing on blocks to get a deep as he could.

There is that spot where the glut and hamstring meets that is hard to stretch but rolling on a softball at that area will loosen that area in which helps the hip and low back also. I find it best to roll it sitting on a bench press banch or bench at that height.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic