Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

So I made jambalya with brown rice...

raysd21

raysd21

Feb 6, 2014
Turned out good. Can't even tell it's brown rice really either.

2 Split chicken breasts roasted
1 medium onion diced
3 stalks celery diced
1 green bell pepper diced
3 cloves garlic diced
16 oz can diced tomatoes drained
2 tblsp hot sause louisana style :)
3 tblsp oil
2.5 cups brown rice
3-4 cups water

You can add in some cayene pepper or diced jalepenos if you want it extra spicey. Smoked sausage, shrimp optional.

Directions:preheat oven 400 degrees.

Salt and roast chicken about 35-40 minutes. Poor juices in big pot. Add oil, chopped onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic and diced tomatoes. Saute 10 minutes. Combine tomato juice from tomatoes, water, and hot sauce. Just make sure it's exactly 5 cups of liquid adding water for proper amount. Shred the chicken and put the bones and tomato/hot sauce liquid in the pot. Simmer with LID ON for about 30 minutes. Take out bones. Add 2.5 cups rice. Stir to make sure all the rice is coated with liquid. Cover. Cook on a low simmer for about 45 minutes. May need an extra 5 minutes or so if there is extra liquid in the pot or rice is still firm. It's hard as fuk to overcook brown rice so a little extra time is ok. Enjoy.

necropuppy

necropuppy

Mar 8, 2014
Good stuff. I love jambalaya. I'm going to try this, thanks!

E

Eatcleanathlete

MuscleHead
Mar 4, 2014
Yum!!! Look like I've got next week's lunches now..... thanks for the idea

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
I love jambalaya man. This sounds really tasty. I would like to do this and add in some beef an shrimp with the chicken. I love getting a good mix in. Maybe some black beans too.

raysd21

raysd21

Feb 6, 2014
I love jambalaya man. This sounds really tasty. I would like to do this and add in some beef an shrimp with the chicken. I love getting a good mix in. Maybe some black beans too.

Wow that would be some dirty rice bro! I do love dirty rice. Beef and chicken and beans huh. My recipe is pretty basic. I've cooked a lot and I've grown to like good clean simple flavors. :bbq: I would either go beef and bean together or chicken and shrimp together. Beef and chicken and black beans would probably work. The orientals make a lot of there stocks with beef and chicken together. I did try to make dirty rice once with livers and beef and it came out WAY to livery holy shyte. Just remember it's brown rice so it's cookin 45 minutes so don't add your shrimp in at the beginning or even the beans either. The shrimp will turn to rubber and the black beans might kind of disintegrate. Add them last or near the end.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
I like it like that occasionally but keeping it basic like you did is the way to go. Especially for macros tracking. How was it though man? Tasty as hell huh?

Vikingquest

Vikingquest

Dec 30, 2013
Just sent this to the Mrs. Hopefully it's ready when I get home tonight. How many meals to you get out of this, about four?

raysd21

raysd21

Feb 6, 2014
Probably 6-8 or so big bowls. You could get more if you do more chicken. You probably need more chicken. It's more of a rice dish. The split chicken breasts were mainly used to flavor the rice you know? Honestly most of the chicken didn't even make it into the rice it went straight in my mouth lol. I have boneless chicken breasts I pound out nice and even and do in a skillet for extra protein. Or better yet make some blackened fish to keep with the whole cajun idea.

Last edited:
IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Probably 6-8 or so big bowls. You could get more if you do more chicken. You probably need more chicken. It's more of a rice dish. The split chicken breasts were mainly used to flavor the rice you know? Honestly most of the chicken didn't even make it into the rice it went straight in my mouth lol. I have boneless chicken breasts I pound out nice and even and do in a skillet for extra protein.

Lmao sounds like me when I'm making chicken. Especially when grilling it and getting those fresh, seasoned crisps on there. It's hard not to shovel it in

GreatGunz

GreatGunz

VIP
Jun 10, 2011
Dude
thats sounds awesome I just saved ur recipe

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic