Members
Latest Member
Remy14
What's New?

Bulging discs

Bobby G.

Bobby G.

Aug 16, 2012
I just learned I have two bulging discs in my back. I have never had any back issues. No pain or no problem with weight training. This news shocked the hell out of me and I am going to a Sports medicine doctor for a second opinion.
I work out at home so I have no access to a leg press. I can do leg extensions and hack squats. Any other exercises any one can tell me about would be appreciated.

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
If you aren't in pain from the bulges I wouldn't be that worried. I read somewhere that most adults have some form of disc degeneration like bulges and show no symptoms. It's when it impinges a nerve when it gets serious.

I just saw an article that the 45 degree leg press is hard on the low discs.

Last edited:
Bobby G.

Bobby G.

Aug 16, 2012
Thanks, prime. Appreciate the response, bro.

Braw16

Braw16

MuscleHead
Aug 8, 2012
Prime is right I have a lot of neck issues and Nerve issues been dealing with them for years. I was told by a few doctors that with bulging discs depending on how bad they can with physical therapy actually go back into place. Be very conscious of any burning pains because that would mean an inpingement. Everyone's spine deteriorates as they get older. I would take this very seriously and listen to what your body is telling you. You don't want back problems but it sounds like if you are not having any pain your in good shape just keep aware of it.

StrongLyfe

StrongLyfe

Mr. Worxx
Aug 25, 2012
Prime is right I have a lot of neck issues and Nerve issues been dealing with them for years. I was told by a few doctors that with bulging discs depending on how bad they can with physical therapy actually go back into place. Be very conscious of any burning pains because that would mean an inpingement. Everyone's spine deteriorates as they get older. I would take this very seriously and listen to what your body is telling you. You don't want back problems but it sounds like if you are not having any pain your in good shape just keep aware of it.

He might have no pain now but later on the discs could slip out more and then impinge on a nerve so that's where the problem will occur. Being proactive now can prevent a small issue from becoming a major debilitating one

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
True but most adults have slightly bulging discs without symptoms if you gave them mri. It's not like I'm speaking from lack of experience. I've had three major bulges that have continued to degenerate since I was 18. I'm a surgical candidate and when the ortho sees my scans he can't believe I'm not in more pain than I am. I just don't think my level of pain warrants surgery atm but I know it's coming.

I wish they would have come up with an artificial disc material by now.

I've not seen any disc therapy amongst my aqaintances through out life that seemed to be the cure all. Rest of the disc seems to be what works for me until I aggravate it again (which has taken me out from lifting months at a time)

Last edited:
M

mfer

Nov 28, 2011
I also have 2 bulging,2 herniated, and an entrapped nerve, Dr. wants to do surgery, I refuse, the % of success is not good enough for me yet. There is a procedure that insurance does not cover, they take your blood plasma and inject in degenerated areas,some say it works. I will go on dealing with it with ibupropherin800. If it's not that bad deal with it. If it doesn't bother you, don't do physical therapy, it made my injuries much worse.

StrongLyfe

StrongLyfe

Mr. Worxx
Aug 25, 2012
True but most adults have slightly bulging discs without symptoms if you gave them mri. It's not like I'm speaking from lack of experience. I've had three major bulges that have continued to degenerate since I was 18. I'm a surgical candidate and when the ortho sees my scans he can't believe I'm not in more pain than I am. I just don't think my level of pain warrants surgery atm but I know it's coming.

I wish they would have come up with an artificial disc material by now.

I've not seen any disc therapy amongst my aqaintances through out life that seemed to be the cure all. Rest of the disc seems to be what works for me until I aggravate it again (which has taken me out from lifting months at a time)

I sure hope there will be some studies on how to best handle disc issues as fusing the bones should not always be done considering that can end up restricting the range of motion

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
I've had 4 bulging discs for years. Just make sure you treat them right . I ice for 20 minutes after workout n cool down\stretch also have a inverter table. That and more careful in technique has kept them in check. I think form is essential to stay healthy

StrongLyfe

StrongLyfe

Mr. Worxx
Aug 25, 2012
I've had 4 bulging discs for years. Just make sure you treat them right . I ice for 20 minutes after workout n cool down\stretch also have a inverter table. That and more careful in technique has kept them in check. I think form is essential to stay healthy

Absolutely!

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
I sure hope there will be some studies on how to best handle disc issues as fusing the bones should not always be done considering that can end up restricting the range of motion

I agree. Fusion only shifts load bearing to the smaller discs above the injured ones.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic