Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

What's the point of working your ass off your whole life?

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Why even bother getting out of bed every day

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
We, Americans, are a society of consumers.

funny-quote-we-buy-stuff-we-dont-need-with-money-we-dont-have-to-impress-people-we-dont-like.jpg

Reactions: 5.0
C

Cabo Jo

Thick n Wide VIP
Jun 26, 2011
you work so you can pay taxes and health care,then there's nothing left.

GuerillaKilla

GuerillaKilla

Certified Pillow Biter
Jul 17, 2013
Its all about perspective.

There comes a time, hopefully, when you have enough to provide for your partner, yourself, and your progeny, and you scale it back.

My wife is a doc, I am an executive, and we still have not reached the point where we feel that we can tone it back. However, I do see my wife pass out on the couch every night from exhaustion and I come home from a week of travel and we barely enjoy each other.

What I can tell you, OP, is that there is an inherent drive in all good people to make sure that they provide every opportunity for their offspring that they can. Working hard to me gives me great satisfaction and my wife, well, she is one of the best young doctors in the country. We arent perfect, but we certainly intend to give whatever babies God blesses us with every edge that we can. The world is always changing and when we are dust we dont want them to be scrambling if we can prevent it.

On the other hand, I agree with Woodsy. I have to carry my exhausted and spent wife to bed from the couch every night. She fights me, as she i9s comfortable and doesnt want to move. Do I see an imbalance between our income and her quality of life? It is debatable. I am proud to be with someone so strong, but as a husband I would die to protect her and make sure she is happy and safe, as well as not killing herself.

I will say this....My children will have so much more opportunity than I did because we worked so hard. I believe it was Winston Churchill that said "If you are not a liberal at 20 you have no heart, if you are not a conservative at 40 you have no brain."

Your priorities and your view on the world will change the older you get my friend.

GuerillaKilla

GuerillaKilla

Certified Pillow Biter
Jul 17, 2013
I like having a nice car. Being able to go somewhere and not stress on how I'm gonna afford it. Not worry about bill collectors.
Life hasn't always been easy I come from a horrible childhood where we were broke ass poor.
In my twenties I was broke as well but my children did not go without.
I remember scrimping to save 200 bucks so they could have a ps2 for Christmas.
We aren't where we want to be financially yet but we are getting there

There is also being able to afford the better meats and foods. Your title " grass fed beef " it's not cheap

Just wanted to add that I ****ing love you RR.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
When I look around at the youth of today, I don't see a lot of them brainwashed to work too hard, LOL.

I think some of us are wired to work harder than others, but if you're not willing to do what it takes to care for and provide for your family, then you shouldn't have a family. Work/life balance is a constant challenge, but if you're not struggling for that balance, you're probably not working as hard as you shoudl, IMO.

When I saw that pic of pajama boy, a 20-something year old man in a onsy-pajama outfit cradling a cup of coffee with two hands, I wanted to kick the shit out of him. If that's the next generation of men that we are raising, we're screwed.... Men are to build, create, and give more than they take, not live in mom and dad's basement playing video games in their PJs.

A

Augerdog

Mar 12, 2014
What if you live in their garage? That's cool right?

scott_vass

scott_vass

Mar 11, 2014
I don't know, Grassfed. I used to spend so much time at work simply because I needed to be constantly on the front line so I could beat the deadlines and keep my job. Work's great if you are the favourite but if your attitude is one of wanting to work less then the boss ain't gonna keep you around long.

chadstallion

chadstallion

Aug 8, 2011
Why do people spend so much time at work.

Why not spend less on house, car and stupid stuff, and work less ?

That extra time could be spent with friends, family, excercising, making healthy meals, engaging in hobbies and interests, talking a walk, trekking and camping, fishing, hunting, travel. I mean, just living your life...

Are we brainwashed by the system from early age. Having to spend most of the day in school and then do homework. Like that we should not develop time comsuming interests that could conflict future working "career".

The media and commercials brainwash us into this comsumer spending trap. But I am starting to wonder if it really makes us happy.
i worked hard up until the inheritance kicked in. then I cut back to part time.

gotclen

gotclen

VIP Member
Oct 20, 2011
Funny, when I read this post or question I did not take it like so many did.
I reflected back on so many people/family and friends that have always lived to
the max of their income. You no the family's where it is taking two good incomes to
support two nice leased cars, the 4000 sf home with all the toys and no one wants
for anything. Meanwhile, nothing is going towards the later stage in life. Because they say
we can always make more money then. No college funds.

I know many of these people who one person lost that overly high paying job. They dont have two months of cash saved up for emergency like this. IMO all because of living to the max of a very high income. Is that the correct way to handle finances when you are a family guy? Is that the right situation to have your family in?

I think we all know the importance of working. Building a future of security. Well, that starts with putting back money now. That starts with not living to the edge of your cash flow. I have a sib who he and his wife must have made 3 times what my wife have over the last 20 years. They got divorced and had no assets just debt.
So, is that living right? They both worked had 3 kids. No it was not right at all. If they lost a job over the years they made sure to not let the kids know the money hardship. So, just charge it keep rolling. Was that good for the kids to not realize maybe we dont have to have all the stuff dad just lost his job? Nope lets hide it and charge it we can always make more money. And they did. In the end after all those years they should have been shittin in tall cotton. Instead all they has was just a huge lawyer bill to get divorced to split all the debt and own nothing.

So, I view the question as "Why do we set ourselves up to have to work 50/60 hr weeks and still live past our means?" I get we have to work. We dont have to live past our means. Many just choose to.

Lets not forget it was not that many years ago all homes were single income family homes. Mom stayed home. Dad worked each day setting the example. You paid cash. Those days seem to be long gone.

R

Rai080

MuscleHead
Sep 11, 2013
Lol obviously you don't have bills then. You are either very young, a trustfund baby, or a drain on society that takes my taxes in A form of govt assistance and welfare. I work so I can pay my bills and enjoy my family in the house I own and not be a mooch of the govt. Yes I would love to wake up at 8 am and hang with my family and friends and do everything I want to do, but this is real life.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic