Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Protein

P

Pbzepintx

Jul 12, 2023
I struggle getting 150-200+ grams per day of protein, which I definitely need since I'm on cycle.

What are your favorite sources of cheap but quality (and tasty of course) protein?

K

KyleB

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2012
Why do you think you are struggling to get in 150+? Appetite? Diet? Lack of nutrition?

3-6 Hard boiled eggs and a handful or two of fruit are my go to on the go. I try to make a salad with it though if I have time. 20-35g+

I have 6 eggs w/ spinach, 1/4cup of cheese or 1/2 depending on how tired I feel after training. That's 45-50g+ depending on egg size and cheese choice.

1 can of albacore tuna drained that refilled with light olive oil, spread over 1 piece of rice bread or 2 depending on how tired Iam. If it's 1 piece of bread I just eat extra with fork from can. That's 30g+

I make salmon patties as well when I'm super drained. 2 cans of salmon, some rice bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper mixed then pan friend. 50g+.

If you wanna eat clean and cheap, your gonna have to make food. You can get cheaper food protein sources but they will not be the best overall for a 'clean diet'.

A lot of protein supplements aren't worth it when you start looking at cost of canned tuna/salmon and eggs.

Good luck!

P

Pbzepintx

Jul 12, 2023
Why do you think you are struggling to get in 150+? Appetite? Diet? Lack of nutrition?

3-6 Hard boiled eggs and a handful or two of fruit are my go to on the go. I try to make a salad with it though if I have time. 20-35g+

I have 6 eggs w/ spinach, 1/4cup of cheese or 1/2 depending on how tired I feel after training. That's 45-50g+ depending on egg size and cheese choice.

1 can of albacore tuna drained that refilled with light olive oil, spread over 1 piece of rice bread or 2 depending on how tired Iam. If it's 1 piece of bread I just eat extra with fork from can. That's 30g+

I make salmon patties as well when I'm super drained. 2 cans of salmon, some rice bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper mixed then pan friend. 50g+.

If you wanna eat clean and cheap, your gonna have to make food. You can get cheaper food protein sources but they will not be the best overall for a 'clean diet'.

A lot of protein supplements aren't worth it when you start looking at cost of canned tuna/salmon and eggs.

Good luck!
I'm really worried about cholesterol so am forgoing egg yolks.

The real issue is that I'm just not hungry enough to eat the necessary 3500 or so calories that I need.

To be fair, I put on 30 pounds of newbie (not newbie really, returning to form is more accurate) gains so maybe I'm just being impatient. I feel like I've hit a bit of a wall but it could be mental. My old max weight was 180-185 so this is equal to the most I've ever weighed.

I really appreciate your advice brother.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Optimum Nutrition whey protein shakes, no shitty off brands, GNC house brand whey protein is the same product, buy the big assed bags online if you have to.
Food is more expensive many times gram for gram and easily digested, as posted above though we built tins of muscle off old school shitty 99 cent canned tuna in water.
Eat leaner meats or drained and rinsed burger, turkey ground and chicken ground taste like shit unless heavily spiced and are not much if any better health wise for you.
Spread the intake out with one before sleeping.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
200 grams of protein is only around 26 ounces of chicken. That should be pretty easy to get down over 5-6 meals. I pick up 40 lbs cases of chicken breasts from the butcher at 1.88 lbs and sometimes cheaper when he is running a sale. Nothing cheaper than that.

If you absolutely need a protein powder, Mutant is one of the best. Optimum or ON is an industry standard. 1st Phorm is pretty good. Stay the fuck away from Redcon1.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
I grill chicken for the week, chop it in little bite sized pieces and put it in containers. I eat it for snacks. I normally have another container of a dipping sauce too.

Darkness

Darkness

VIP Member
May 7, 2011
My protein sources are:

95% lean ground beef
Chicken breast
Flounder white fish (very easy to eat)
Shrimp also easy
Egg whites
Rule 1 whey isolate.

the cheapest and most effective is the chicken breast given the no fat content.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Good food protein choices:
Chicken Breasts
98% lean ground beef
98% lean ground turkey
Chicken Thighs
Swai Fillets (these are great! a good white fish, low is fat, good protein) - if can find it.

THese have been my protein choices lately.

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
I understand, as large as I am I struggle to eat food. I take no enjoyment in eating I see it as a necessary function to survive. This part may be controversial to some because fat is important in hormone regulation but lower your fat intake, since fat causes you to feel full. Unflavored protein in an option, sardines are high in protein. You can make dyi protein bars.

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
200 grams of protein is only around 26 ounces of chicken. That should be pretty easy to get down over 5-6 meals. I pick up 40 lbs cases of chicken breasts from the butcher at 1.88 lbs and sometimes cheaper when he is running a sale. Nothing cheaper than that.

If you absolutely need a protein powder, Mutant is one of the best. Optimum or ON is an industry standard. 1st Phorm is pretty good. Stay the fuck away from Redcon1.
I need to find a butcher around here.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic