Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

Live chickens

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
That's not bad 75+ yards for a 10yo on a small moving target you got a cool dad to let you do that.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
That sounds pretty cool, they expensive or is it somthing you make?
my hen survived the night I'm letting her roam around today and I let her roam close to my dogs on a chain but she wasn't acting to scared that kind of concerns me because my dogs were licking there chops lol...
i said "psst pssst get gem" and they starting crying and barking for me to let them lose on her lol
i dug up a couple rolly Polly's for the chics but they just looked at them. So far I'm not impressed with there intellect lol.

Yea, they're dumba as a bag of hammers but once they get the hang of the yard they'll eat evry insect in the place. Only good thing about letting them run. Lil bitches destroyed my yard and prized lawn. Make them a perch they can fly up to to get away from the dogs and it'll help but sooner or later they'l lget nabbed if you dont socialize the dogs to accept them...and not as dinner! lol In the coop they like a roost to sleep on , like a small ladder, they sleep on it

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
That sounds pretty cool, they expensive or is it somthing you make?
my hen survived the night I'm letting her roam around today and I let her roam close to my dogs on a chain but she wasn't acting to scared that kind of concerns me because my dogs were licking there chops lol...
i said "psst pssst get gem" and they starting crying and barking for me to let them lose on her lol
i dug up a couple rolly Polly's for the chics but they just looked at them. So far I'm not impressed with there intellect lol.

I bought my chicken plucker on E-bay for about $300 used. You can make them out of an old washing machine but I don't now how well those work. Mine is a ddrum plucker with the rubber fingers on the outside. It works great.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I agree with Gman about getting some broilers and eating them early. The ones I raised were usually ready in 8 to 10 weeks. They grew from small babies to these huge mofos and got fat as hell if you didn't butcher them at 10 weeks. Some of them got so big so fast, they couldnt walk. Those ones were some sad chickens.

i stopped raising them after a weasel ate dozens of birds over a couple of summers. Also, I started building an addition to my house and I joined karate and started lifting seriously so I didn't have as much time. My partner made me promise to wait to raise them after I built a weasel proof coop. Since I have been building my house, I haven't had time or money to build a new coop.

I got a weasel killing cat, but I want to build a new coop and pen so they don't destroy my yard. In another couple of years I'll get back to it.

Fanofiron

Fanofiron

May 11, 2014
My wife and I have hens. Had 13. Lost 3 this summer due to insane 110 heat. I've installed a mister since and all is well. They are easy animals to care for. I have the water setup on our landscape drip system. It fills a 5 gallon bucket and there are feeding nozzles similar to hamster water feeders. Works fantastic!
Feed em twice a day and collect eggs once a day. We feed em fruit and veggies scraps and organic feed from the local feed shop.
Feed shops also sells pins and syringes ;)

When weather isn't so damn hot we get about 1 egg per hen daily. If we sell 2 dozen eggs a week for $5 a dozen the chickens eat free and we get all the eggs we want! We let em out of the pen to roam around but they have a big coop as well.
To make building things easier I based the entire project on 4x8 sections of plywood. The hen box is 4x8 and the whole setup is 8'x11'.
I made easy access doors where the hen boxes are so eggs can be had without having to go into the run or coop.
Enjoy! It's fun for the kiddos too!

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Eh my hen wandered a lil to close to my pit this morning...

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Ya it was the egg eater but still I would of rather ate it, I'll have to figure somthing out before these chics get big...

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
Eh my hen wandered a lil to close to my pit this morning...

G!! That was quick. Yep if you have dogs you have to pen the birds otherwise the dogs will be eating good but yo uprobably wont get man yeggs :D

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
lol ya when I saw the feathers and her knawing away shaking the carcass I just let her finish her meal then she stretched out for a nice nap in the sun ****in bitch lol

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic