Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Carb backloading

L

lennoxchi

Nov 20, 2012
CBL every summer here. I have found out that is works well for my body. I have more energy throughout the day, workouts don't suffer in regards to energy or intesity. I love the fact that I can eat sugar at night so everyday is a cheat day.

diet while CBL:

4 am wake : shake with pre workout supps

5 am Lift

6:30am post w/o: then a banana, one serving of sour patch kids (30g of sugar) another shake

10:00am snack almonds, peanuts, cheese stick

1:00 pm chicken breast, romaine lettuce, salad dressing (low carb) cheese stick

4:30 snack cucumber

6:30 dinner normally 8oz 93/7 ground beef, ice cream, snickers and donuts once in a while

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Go Away, how are you calculating this. Are you just using general macros or is there some kind of formula?

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Go Away, how are you calculating this. Are you just using general macros or is there some kind of formula?

There's two formulas used at the end of the book. Carb intake on workout days is dependent on how much weight was lost during the prep phase. Protein, calorie and fat intake before the backloads are determined by ideal body weight. Net daily protein intake is 1-2g per pound of lean mass daily. Fat/protein ratio is 1:1 during low carb times, while not counted during backloads.

The backloads are intense! I ate 8 homemade cookies with frosting on em, two pints of milk and some pudding as dessert. A baked potato, Texas toast, a pint of sweet tea and a ribeye for dinner... Only like 350g of carbs! I'm supposed to hit just over 1000.

Gonna have to dial the shit up a notch Thursday...

Last edited:
Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I did CBL a couple years back. It's a fun type of diet because you get to eat stuff you like post workout a couple days out of the week.

I lost around 10 pounds during the prep phase.

Some advice I can give is to remember it isn't a calorie restricted diet. So don't worry how fatty something is. Make sure you eat a bunch of fats so your energy levels won't dip. Full fat bacon, full fat cottage cheese etc. No low fat or reduced fat anything.

I made the mistake of not eating enough fat. I had a real hard time transitioning from eating low fat to realllly high fat.

Last edited:
Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Been almost three weeks on CBL and I've kept the 10 pounds lost from the prep phase and have eaten the forbidden consistently - it's been glorious!

Have fit into some shorts and a few shirts I wasn't able to fit in as of March and my strength has not decreased at all.

I'd like to thank the following: 5/3/1, CBL and ice cream.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Did you go bonkers with the feeding sessions post workout or were you a bit strict? I went and bought Oreo cookies and cream pudding, some chocolate chunk cookie batter, peanut butter cookie batter, cream cheese icing, chocolate icing.... No clue what I'm gonna do with all of it but it's gonna be nice. Not all at once but at least on the first night of carb reintroduction (Day 11).

I'm on Day 7 right now and feel like garbage! Scale says I'm 9 lbs lighter though...

Yeah - it took a while to dial in the backloads for what I wanted.

Turns out that my wife needs way smaller backloads while I can handle WAY bigger backloads.... I'm talking about a pizza, a pint of ice cream, and some snacks after a big training session. Keep in mind though that I am only training 4 days a week, and only really fueling up like this after one or two.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Yeah - it took a while to dial in the backloads for what I wanted.

Turns out that my wife needs way smaller backloads while I can handle WAY bigger backloads.... I'm talking about a pizza, a pint of ice cream, and some snacks after a big training session. Keep in mind though that I am only training 4 days a week, and only really fueling up like this after one or two.

PLK: Your feedback is much appreciated! I figured this diet would be one that becomes a long-term experiment...

Do you eat ultra low carb on your off days?

And what's your diet look like on the days where you don't attack a pizza and a pint?

I've yet to have a "healthy" backload. Waiting for my school check to come in so I can grab a rice cooker and start dialing in those high glycemic carb numbers for a month or two and see how much of a difference it makes. Right now I'm just munching on stuff that doesn't have enriched wheat flour (which is hard as fuxk to do!) ...that's why ice cream is in full effect.

I did eat a whole meat-topped pizza the other night and it felt glorious!!!

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
I m trying it starting Monday. Reading the book. Im not keen on ever eating junk but I can eat decent carbs.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Ok... Another question for those that know:

What are we supposed to do on deload weeks? Super low carb for the whole week and then backload on our first heavy day back??

Sounds like BDSM... pain (ketogenesis) before the pleasure (pies and more pies)

Quick update... 36 days into CBL and I've lost 12 lbs on the scale, I'm down one pants size and I've hit a few rep PRs during 5/3/1. Very pleased with the results.

Last edited:
Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Bump for previous question and this one...

If a powerlifting meet is in 10 weeks - and the week prior to the meet is a deload - is that week supposed to be super low carb, then the night before the meet (after weigh-ins) go to a pizzeria and eat as much as possible????!

Fuxking minutia/OCD...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic