Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Bench press arch

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
Must depend on the federation. I compete in USAPL and if you're feet aren't flat you'll get red lighted (actually you won't ever get the start command).

If you read the whole thread, the USAPL is just about the only fed that requires flat feet. And I'm fairly sure everyone is arching as much as possible with those flat feet? You just obviously can get a bigger arch on your toes.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
I've Always liked you but that's a really fukkin ignorant thing to say. I don't claim your movements when you guys bounce the bar off your chest for 6-12 reps as cheating....opposed to when we have to hold it for a 2 sec pause and stay tight the whole time while engaging legs, traps and lats then pressing it. It's a different press from what you do because we train differently.
So because Giantslayer voices his opinion on something you dont agree with, that makes him ignorant? Irony. And what was the point of you telling DYS "did you see the bench press thread" in the shout box? Trying to round up all your PLing buddies to come in here and start shit with Giantslayer? Who gives a fukk dude if Giantslayer compared that bench to kiplings, same to you PillarOfBalance, had to go throw the thong and gay comment in there. This thread was doing fine with the diferrent views and thoughts on the subject untill you two threw the personal attacks. Flame away fellas.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
So because Giantslayer voices his opinion on something you dont agree with, that makes him ignorant? Irony. And what was the point of you telling DYS "did you see the bench press thread" in the shout box? Trying to round up all your PLing buddies to come in here and start shit with Giantslayer? Who gives a fukk dude if Giantslayer compared that bench to kiplings, same to you PillarOfBalance, had to go throw the thong and gay comment in there. This thread was doing fine with the diferrent views and thoughts on the subject untill you two threw the personal attacks. Flame away fellas.
It wasn't doing fine raiden. Calling us cheaters and talking about us like we don't know how to bench.

My point was don't go throwing stones at us. Because there is plenty of criticism we can throw back at bodybuilders.

Asking why we arch is a perfectly valid question. But it quickly went beyond that. UHC's use of the word ignorant is accurate imo. There was no reason to talk shit at all by someone who doesn't compete in or have any interest at all in powerlifting.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011

FIrst of all you turn really quickly after we've gotten along for almost 3 years. Figured this could have been civil until you come in swift and hard like that.....I've never done that to you.

No, I didn't personally attack him or anything....I said it was an ignorant thing to say and I summed it up at the end by saying we train differently so that's where the difference of opinions come from. You're the one escalating it now.

And DYS is a personal friend and a training partner....and I knew his opinion would be similar as I signed off.....wasn't trying to rally anyone, I'm a big boy and don't need backup. I still like GS but I took offense to what he said.....I still like you even though we're debating on this topic and I think you're acting like a dick.

Not gonna flame you, GS or anyone else....not my style and you know that. I have way too much going on to create enemies with guys that I've liked over the years.

His post was ignorant

Last edited:
RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
UHC first let me apologize to both you and PoB. My statement probably seemed heavy, but my intent was not spiteful, so i apologize wincerely. You are right, after 3 yrs... wtf?

What i was percieved as an attack against Gianslayer is where i thought was out of bounds, but thats neither here nor there. You guys PL and we BB. We may never underwtand eachothers training and such, but at the end of the dwy, we do what we do with a passion and a love for our sports and enjoy the brotherhood of it.

I only read your first statement UHC and realized i was wrong, didnt even read your whole post, as i felt that apologizing was more important for the sake of our friendship.

Lol can you believe, PL vs BBer here and how it almost blew up lol...fuuuuk.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Damn guys, I admire all of you and love the diff views, squash this

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
UHC first let me apologize to both you and PoB. My statement probably seemed heavy, but my intent was not spiteful, so i apologize wincerely. You are right, after 3 yrs... wtf?

What i was percieved as an attack against Gianslayer is where i thought was out of bounds, but thats neither here nor there. You guys PL and we BB. We may never underwtand eachothers training and such, but at the end of the dwy, we do what we do with a passion and a love for our sports and enjoy the brotherhood of it.

I only read your first statement UHC and realized i was wrong, didnt even read your whole post, as i felt that apologizing was more important for the sake of our friendship.

Lol can you believe, PL vs BBer here and how it almost blew up lol...fuuuuk.

Respect for your acknowledgment and humility. Not everyone can do that.

Keep in mind I trained like a bb'r for years up until 2012....benching one rep max with a pause showing control and having your form be flawless is not an easy task nor is how hard you guys train.

Lets move on brother. Thank you again for your acknowledgement.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
First, I'm not insulted by any of it. I can take it as well as I dish it, no homo.

Perhaps let me explain my position better. In the rules of crossfit, chin above the bar is a pull-up regardless of how you get there. I'm sure there are some other rules about the pull-ups but it leaves space for kipping to be legal.

Likewise on the benchpress, an insane arch only serves to limit the range of motion. After a certain degree of arch, maximum mechanical advantage is gained and any further arch is, like stated, just to limit the ROM. I am not impressed with one's ability to limit their range of motion on a press just as I am not impressed on someone's ability to use body English to complete a pull-up.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
The only legitimate bench press is done on a stability ball using kettle bells. Everything else is gay. No arguments.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
I think you guys read into my statement as a dig on the PL form of benchpress in general. I'm really just pointing at the guys that use an exaggerated arch.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Ya know what. I think I need some adex. I probably over reacted.

Bbl

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 2 members watching this topic