Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Bench press arch

B

Brianlyndon

Jan 12, 2014
True if ass of the bench then is an illegal lift in comp,excuse my ignorance but sounds like a recipe for an injury or maybe a neck workout ha ha

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
True if ass of the bench then is an illegal lift in comp,excuse my ignorance but sounds like a recipe for an injury or maybe a neck workout ha ha
Quite the opposite in fact. You are using the spines natural curvature. No injury potential at all.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
So it is cheating in a sense? I mean when doing flat bench, the point/goal is to activate the pecs. I never felt my lats engaged in a pressing movement, only on pulling movements. But then again i am not into PL, but rather working the targeted muscle and engaging it, so what do i know.
No its within the rules of powerlifting. As I said in PL the point is to move the most weight. Not to build the pecs.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I've never heard of a powerlifter aiming to keep their back flat on the bench. A bit of an arch is a good thing because it takes strain off the shoulders which is beneficial for someone lifting heavy several times a week. My problem with this video is he says to dig your heels into the floor but he doesn't touch his heels to the floor at all (that's an illegal lift).
Depends on the fed. I think USAPL requires heels on the floor. Most feds do not.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
After reading up and looking at videos, the arch i was refering to is not what is being discussed here. The "arch" i am thinking of is where the back is like a rainbow, where the ass is lifted off the bench.

On lats being engaged, maybe inderectly but not like a row or lat pull is engaged directly. Im thinking and coming from a bodybuilding perspective, not powerlifting. Two different animals.

They certainly 2 very different creatures. It's funny though b/c many bbers train like PLers in the offseason and many PLers perform there auxiliary work like bbers.

There's a lot to be gained from both...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011

Not as much neck as it really stresses the shit out of the lower back to make and hold/keep that arch.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Calling this a benchpress is like calling kipping pull-ups real pull-ups.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011

I've Always liked you but that's a really fukkin ignorant thing to say. I don't claim your movements when you guys bounce the bar off your chest for 6-12 reps as cheating....opposed to when we have to hold it for a 2 sec pause and stay tight the whole time while engaging legs, traps and lats then pressing it. It's a different press from what you do because we train differently.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Calling walking around on stage in a thong all greased up so other men can pass judgement on your body anything other than gay... uh. Well it's just gay

So maybe let's not start throwing rocks at each other.

To each their own. Except crossfit. That we can all agree on.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I'm kind of amazed that a powerlifting benchpress technique that's been around for a long ass time was compared to a crossfit kipping pull-up.

That's all I got.

J

Jraywalter

Oct 9, 2013
Must depend on the federation. I compete in USAPL and if you're feet aren't flat you'll get red lighted (actually you won't ever get the start command).

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic