Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Bench press arch

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
That helps to keep the tension on the pecs. Where a PL couldn't give a damn less about squeezing the pecs for hypertrophy but care more about flaring the lats and cutting our range of motion down it serves is quite well.
So it is cheating in a sense? I mean when doing flat bench, the point/goal is to activate the pecs. I never felt my lats engaged in a pressing movement, only on pulling movements. But then again i am not into PL, but rather working the targeted muscle and engaging it, so what do i know.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
It looks horrible. I've always been taught to keep your back flat against the bench, I don't know if it helps in competition but for help in building strength in your chest I can't imagine doing that.

Agreed. You were taught right by the way, keep that back flat against the bench.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
So it is cheating in a sense? I mean when doing flat bench, the point/goal is to activate the pecs. I never felt my lats engaged in a pressing movement, only on pulling movements. But then again i am not into PL, but rather working the targeted muscle and engaging it, so what do i know.

Ive been wanting to ask you, how much you bench. This thread seems like a great opportunity. Haha

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Both.

What are your working sets usually?

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
350ish 1rm (about 2 months ago)
275 or so on working sets, 8-12 reps depending on how it is going that day.

I've been doing more reverse grip bench this past 8-10 months than regular bench. I will hit a good regular flat bench workout about once a month now. Other than that it is incline or reverse.

J

Jraywalter

Oct 9, 2013
I've never heard of a powerlifter aiming to keep their back flat on the bench. A bit of an arch is a good thing because it takes strain off the shoulders which is beneficial for someone lifting heavy several times a week. My problem with this video is he says to dig your heels into the floor but he doesn't touch his heels to the floor at all (that's an illegal lift).

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011

Not sure how you can call it cheating. Bench press is one of the big 3 because it uses the whole body and not just the pecs. We even use leg drive to help when benching.

RAIDEN, whether you feel it or not you are in fact using your lats when you press. I'd probably wager if you strengthened your lats your OHP and bench would go up.... evening without using an arch. You use your lats when you squat too.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I've never heard of a powerlifter aiming to keep their back flat on the bench. A bit of an arch is a good thing because it takes strain off the shoulders which is beneficial for someone lifting heavy several times a week. My problem with this video is he says to dig your heels into the floor but he doesn't touch his heels to the floor at all (that's an illegal lift).

Your heels don't have to touch the floor for the lift to count. You can bench using the balls of your feet (like I do) and the lift will count as long as my ass is firmly planted on the bench, my traps are dug into the bench, and I follow the commands (start, press, rack).

B

Brianlyndon

Jan 12, 2014
A Para oylmpia world record holder ([FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]bench press) mentioned [/FONT]on a podcast that he did more pulling movements to increase his bench press.on a recent norton layne broadcast he uses a slight lower back arc when bench pressing and states he wishes " he could arch even more "

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Not sure how you can call it cheating. Bench press is one of the big 3 because it uses the whole body and not just the pecs. We even use leg drive to help when benching.

RAIDEN, whether you feel it or not you are in fact using your lats when you press. I'd probably wager if you strengthened your lats your OHP and bench would go up.... evening without using an arch. You use your lats when you squat too.
After reading up and looking at videos, the arch i was refering to is not what is being discussed here. The "arch" i am thinking of is where the back is like a rainbow, where the ass is lifted off the bench.

On lats being engaged, maybe inderectly but not like a row or lat pull is engaged directly. Im thinking and coming from a bodybuilding perspective, not powerlifting. Two different animals.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic