Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

What's the deal with Nolva and Adex being used together?

Dnsvideo

Dnsvideo

Sep 21, 2010
I've seen it mentioned a few times that Nolva and Adex shouldn't be used together. Any particular reason why?

Does it just decrease the efficacy of the Adex? Or is it harmful in some other way?

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
I've seen it mentioned a few times that Nolva and Adex shouldn't be used together. Any particular reason why?

Does it just decrease the efficacy of the Adex? Or is it harmful in some other way?

It was thought that tamoxifen lowered blood levels of anastrozole which is true but it was then found out that this had no clinical impact. Feel free to use them together as needed

British Journal of Cancer (2001) 85, 317–324. doi:10.1054/bjoc.2001.1925 www.bjcancer.com
Published online 31 July 2001
Pharmacokinetics of anastrozole and tamoxifen alone, and in combination, during adjuvant endocrine therapy for early breast cancer in postmenopausal women: a sub-protocol of the ‘Arimidex™ and Tamoxifen Alone or in Combination’ (ATAC) trial

The ATAC Trialists' Group1,*

1CRC and UCL Cancer Trials Centre, University College London, Stephenson House, 158-160 N Gower Street, London, NW1 2ND, UK

*Contributors to the trial are listed in Appendices I, II, and III in the Acknowledgements section.

Received 20 September 2000; Revised 22 April 2001; Accepted 2 May 2001

Top of page
Abstract
The ATAC trial evaluates in a randomized, double-blind design, Arimidex™ (anastrozole) alone or in combination with tamoxifen, relative to tamoxifen alone as 5-year adjuvant treatment in postmenopausal women with early breast cancer. Patients included in the pharmacokinetic (PK) sub-protocol had been in ATAC for ≥3 months, taking their medication in the morning and were 100% compliant for the preceding 14 days. Blood samples were collected 24 ± 4 h after last dose. Trough (Cmin) plasma concentrations of anastrozole, tamoxifen and desmethyltamoxifen (DMT) were measured by validated methods. The PK results were based on a total of 347 patients (131 anastrozole (1 mg o.d.), 111 tamoxifen (20 mg o.d.), 105 anastrozole and tamoxifen (1 and 20 mg o.d. respectively)). The geometric mean steady-state trough plasma concentrations of tamoxifen and DMT were statistically equivalent in patients receiving tamoxifen alone or in combination with anastrozole: geometric mean tamoxifen = 94.8 ng ml–1and 95.3 ng ml–1in tamoxifen alone and combination groups, respectively; geometric mean DMT = 265.1 and 277.6 ng ml−1in the tamoxifen and anastrozole and tamoxifen groups, respectively. The geometric mean anastrozole levels were 27% lower (90% Cl 20–33%; P < 0.001) in the presence of tamoxifen than with anastrozole alone. Baseline plasma oestradiol levels were not obtained in the PK sub-protocol, however, such information was available from a similar ATAC sub-protocol, which evaluated bone mineral density. Mean oestradiol levels were 21.3, 19.3, and 21.6 pmol l−1prior to treatment and 3.7, 20.9 and 3.6 pmol l−1after 3 months in the anastrozole, tamoxifen, and combination groups, respectively (n = 167). On-treatment values were below the detection limit (3 pmol l−1) in 43.6 and 38.5% of the anastrozole alone and anastrozole in combination with tamoxifen groups, respectively. As a result of (a) the lack of effect of anastrozole on tamoxifen and DMT levels and (b) the observed fall in blood anastrozole levels having no significant effect on oestradiol suppression by anastrozole, we conclude that the observed reduction in anastrozole levels by tamoxifen is unlikely to be of clinical significance when anastrozole and tamoxifen are administered together. © 2001 Cancer Research Campaign

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
thanks for the clarity DocD... I have often thought about using them together since they work differently to suppress estrogen... lucky for me I dont really have an estro issue, but if you apply bro-science to the philosophy of using both.. it only makes since... you must have stayed in a Holiday in Express last night...

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
thanks for the clarity DocD... I have often thought about using them together since they work differently to suppress estrogen... lucky for me I dont really have an estro issue, but if you apply bro-science to the philosophy of using both.. it only makes since... you must have stayed in a Holiday in Express last night...

I live out of a holiday inn express. The swimming pool here is dirty..... :(

gotclen

gotclen

VIP Member
Oct 20, 2011
I think body builders do it to make Damn sure they kill all that estrogen.
In the quest to be as dry as possible

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
My coach only had me use Nolva for my contest prep.

biguglynewf

biguglynewf

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2010
Nolva blocks binding at the receptor.....Adex acts on the enzyme required to help prevent estrogen being formed. Ie aromatase inhibitor.

One block estrogen from binding in breast tissue, the other prevents estrogen from being formed.

two entirely different things.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic