Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

What & When NUTRITION....???

CLOUD~>WARRIOR

CLOUD~>WARRIOR

TID Lady Member
Aug 19, 2016
OK, So I am new here, I thought I just posted this question and it put me on this page to type Again...

I am Looking 4-Answers.
WHAT- to eat before weight training..? HOW LONG do I wait Before I weight train After I eat..?? AND...
WHAT- do I eat After weight training..?? HOW LONG After training do I eat this...??

I think I get the rest.. every 2-3 hours.. right..??

But the Above I Really Need Advice. I am trying to BUILD MUSCLES and CHANGE my Physique. So, Any Advice Appreciated.
Thanks!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
The best advice I can give anyone who isn't prepping for a bodybuilding stage in the next few weeks is to chill! Nutrition is so simple but there is so much crap information out there that it confuses the shit out of people. I was there for years crippled by all the conflicting information.

First thing is to find out what your total daily energy expenditure is. There are plenty of sites with calculators that will help you figure this out.

From there as a starting point I eat .8g per pound of lean mass in protein per day.

.4g fat per pound of lean mass per day.

The remaining portion of calories left is filled with carbohydrate.

As for timing, it isn't that important. If eating a meal an hour before training leaves you feeling sluggish in the gym then eat 2 hours before or whatever works for you. Truth is the food in your stomach isn't fueling your workout. The glycogen already stored is. I kind of look at it like yesterday's meals are my energy source. This also helps me stay strict on non training days.

As for eating after just eat when you get hungry. Sometimes when I leave the gym it takes a couple hours for my appetite to return. But I sip a gatorade anyway because I personally tend to go hypo a bit an hour after training with no food.

There is no anabolic window. Well there is but it's like 24 hours long. The only time a post workout meal is important is if you plan on training hard again in the next 8 hours or so. In which case you do need to refill your glycogen stores.

Don't worry about eating clean. But generally avoid fast food when you can because it's just shit quality. If you want to be a high performance machine eat high quality whole foods.

Go look up the TDEE and then do the math for how much of what you should be eating.

Or hire someone to do it for you and get you started on the right track.

One caveat that I offer is that often times newer guys thing they are training very hard. But they don't really know what that means yet. So all that food they eat is actually more than they should and some is stored as fat.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
OK, So I am new here, I thought I just posted this question and it put me on this page to type Again...

I am Looking 4-Answers.
WHAT- to eat before weight training..? HOW LONG do I wait Before I weight train After I eat..?? AND...
WHAT- do I eat After weight training..?? HOW LONG After training do I eat this...??

I think I get the rest.. every 2-3 hours.. right..??

What to eat before training: Whatever you want...or nothing.

What to eat after" Whatever you want or nothing.

No you dont get the rest....every 2-3 hours is the same as every 12. (actually some support for an intermittent fasting but I wont go into that)

Basically, everything you know is wrong. It is not your fault. The industry as a whole over complicates things. VERY simple laws. Eat less to lose weight. Train hard and hit protein levels and necessary fats first. The rest are carbs to your preference. Doesn't much matter when...(within reason)
POB has give you some solid advice. If you dont want to take the time to learn and sift through all the bs, hire someone to help get you started. I think POB offers help to people.

CLOUD~>WARRIOR

CLOUD~>WARRIOR

TID Lady Member
Aug 19, 2016
POB~Thank you So Much~!!! Lots of great info here. I dont really get the ratio numbers...but this is all new for me. You mentioned hiring someone to help me with figuring this out. Did you mean a Personal Trainer..? Or is there another certified kind of person for this information...?
Again, I appreciate the information and reply.]
Sincerely,
CW

CLOUD~>WARRIOR

CLOUD~>WARRIOR

TID Lady Member
Aug 19, 2016
Macgyver~Thank you for your reply. Yes, POB Great info! You mentioned my understanding of eating every 2-3 hours was wrong, I thought it kept the metabolism going.. But, like you said, I dont know Jack! That my friend is why I am here :) to ask the Pros :) So, Thanks for making me look further into what I thought I knew but didn't. Much to learn. No, "stage" just for me, for a better..different and New Life.

Protein=fish, chicken, beef..? Necessary fats..?? avacado, coconut oil?
Advice Appreciated!
Sincerely,
CW

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011

I wouldn't hire a personal trainer for this. In fact it's out of their scope of practice. My company provides training plans and nutritional help in a way that requires the client to come to understand how to eat for their goals no matter what they are. You can private message me if you wish.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
No you dont get the rest....every 2-3 hours is the same as every 12. (actually some support for an intermittent fasting but I wont go into that)

Question?... Wouldn't one "turn" the metabolic rate "up" by eating more frequently through out the 24 hour window?...For example, if a person ate 8 times a day and keeping those 8 meals reasonably small proportioned, would this be better for less fat storage as well as for optimal fat burn?... I don't know, just curious.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Welcome to TID, some great info for you already.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Question?... Wouldn't one "turn" the metabolic rate "up" by eating more frequently through out the 24 hour window?...For example, if a person ate 8 times a day and keeping those 8 meals reasonably small proportioned, would this be better for less fat storage as well as for optimal fat burn?... I don't know, just curious.

No....the opposite is actually true. There are some recent studies showing more beneficial nutrient partitioning on intermittent fasting type protocols. While that is not something I want to follow, there are also benefits when it comes to protein synthesis seen by spacing out your protein intakes.

In simple terms, both will work well when equalizing calories and macros, but eating less often MIGHT have some beneficial upsides. (but at the end of the day in the big picture (not minute details) total cals rule)

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
No....the opposite is actually true. There are some recent studies showing more beneficial nutrient partitioning on intermittent fasting type protocols. While that is not something I want to follow, there are also benefits when it comes to protein synthesis seen by spacing out your protein intakes.

In simple terms, both will work well when equalizing calories and macros, but eating less often MIGHT have some beneficial upsides. (but at the end of the day in the big picture (not minute details) total cals rule)

Thanks for the clarification!....You know I have basically did both(eating like you described and eating many times a day)....As you pointed out, I always make progress dependent on calories!!!!

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
So, what would be the best protocol for gaining lean mass ( I know, it's the million dollar question)?.... Macgyver, anyone?....

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic