Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

What do you do to avoid bloat?

S

Sherriperoni

TID Lady Member
Mar 25, 2015
So after finally getting over a nearly 2 week bloating phase, I would like to nail down the foods that really cause me distress.

I've noticed that dairy kills me. Just hurts my insides. So I avoid that like the plague.
Sugary carbs cause inflammation and cause my lower tummy or 'pooch' to stick out a ton.
If I eat starchy carbs (well, usually just grains) and drink a lot of water the same day then I'll be bloated/retain water the next day or 2.
If I eat starchy carbs/grains and I DON'T drink a lot of water, I usually can avoid that water retention.
Coffee in the morning really gets my digestive system going. Yay for coffee!
Eating an apple, alone, early in the morning before my actual breakfast helps with digestion.
Having a protein shake about 30 mins before bed seems to help.
Eating protein with fibrous veggies helps but eating protein with starchy carbs is horrible on my stomach. After researching 'food combining', apparently this is common.
Taking a probiotic daily made a huge difference.

So these are all things that I've noticed allow me to wake up with a flat, calm stomach.

What are some things you do to avoid bloating or just make your digestive system happy?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Eating smaller portions at a time. That's about it for me.

MissMonsterr

MissMonsterr

TID Lady Member
Apr 9, 2015
Basically the small meals that people talk about. Basically, I usually just make my entire day one spread out meal (aka I snack all day). When I go to events, holidays, etc. where there are actual meals I get super bloated usually. That's preventative though, not fixing.
Fruit and water always brings it down for me though! If I'm bloated I can eat some fruit (melon, pineapple, and berries work best), a cup of green tea, and just drink a lot of water. I'll wake up with no bloat.
Running also helps though.

Yaya

Yaya

VIP Member
Jun 25, 2012
No more chinese food

Lower sodium.. drink tons of water

Enjoy a bannana

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Depends what you mean by "bloat".

I classify it several ways. There is 'bulk" bloat that comes from mass amounts of food and can also shift water balance enough to smooth you out. But if you are eating that much in general, you are probably not lean enough to notice subtle difference in water balance as it applies to showing definition.

Then there is skin thickness "bloat" which becomes more of something you can notice as you lean out significantly. Old Bro-science like dairy and fruit smoothing you are is silly. (unless you have some food allergy). I drink quite a bit of milk daily and I dont think most people would call me "bloated" looking. Now if I were trying to step on stage at absolute minimum bodyfat levels, yes...very small carb spikes can swing water balance. I dont restrict sodium either. In fact, I seek it out. I just try to balance it with potassium and it is never an issue. I even eat ramen noodles a few times a week as a pre-workout carb. No big deal.... I only use half the flavor packet and use a bunch of salt sub. (balances out the Na with K)

There is bloat from a water shift that women often experience from estrogen swings. Guys on cycle may also see this. The more fat you carry.....the larger the swings will be.

I have found the way to be less "bloated" is to be leaner. Heck....I binged on a two day reefeed this weekend. Cookouts, high sodium everywhere (sausages..etc) icecreams, doughnuts, cookies, brownies, pizza, etc. This is the result of being "bloated" and 8lbs heavier after 2 days of relaxed eating. You can see I am not quite as sharp as in the pic below just a few days earlier. And I am not putting myself out there as that lean by any means....just an example of how "bloating" changes as you dont carry as much fat.

0c21ee29-93f0-40cc-a5c4-1388bcd1298d_zps5uto7s56.jpg

2bc80b0b-7e74-4df1-a76f-d22583a1752b_zpswh8wt5rd.jpg

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
Depends what you mean by "bloat".

I classify it several ways. There is 'bulk" bloat that comes from mass amounts of food and can also shift water balance enough to smooth you out. But if you are eating that much in general, you are probably not lean enough to notice subtle difference in water balance as it applies to showing definition.

Then there is skin thickness "bloat" which becomes more of something you can notice as you lean out significantly. Old Bro-science like dairy and fruit smoothing you are is silly. (unless you have some food allergy). I drink quite a bit of milk daily and I dont think most people would call me "bloated" looking. Now if I were trying to step on stage at absolute minimum bodyfat levels, yes...very small carb spikes can swing water balance. I dont restrict sodium either. In fact, I seek it out. I just try to balance it with potassium and it is never an issue. I even eat ramen noodles a few times a week as a pre-workout carb. No big deal.... I only use half the flavor packet and use a bunch of salt sub. (balances out the Na with K)

There is bloat from a water shift that women often experience from estrogen swings. Guys on cycle may also see this. The more fat you carry.....the larger the swings will be.

I have found the way to be less "bloated" is to be leaner. Heck....I binged on a two day reefeed this weekend. Cookouts, high sodium everywhere (sausages..etc) icecreams, doughnuts, cookies, brownies, pizza, etc. This is the result of being "bloated" and 8lbs heavier after 2 days of relaxed eating. You can see I am not quite as sharp as in the pic below just a few days earlier. And I am not putting myself out there as that lean by any means....just an example of how "bloating" changes as you dont carry as much fat.

0c21ee29-93f0-40cc-a5c4-1388bcd1298d_zps5uto7s56.jpg

2bc80b0b-7e74-4df1-a76f-d22583a1752b_zpswh8wt5rd.jpg

Such a trip what the body does...love it! :)

S

Sherriperoni

TID Lady Member
Mar 25, 2015
Um. Holy crap. Look at those abs.

S

Sherriperoni

TID Lady Member
Mar 25, 2015
And the chest. And the arms. Nicely done friend.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I rarely get bloated but if I do it's probably because I've eaten too much in one sitting lol.

I used to get bloated a fair bit when I used to eat/drink products with dairy in them, stopped dairy a number of years ago and those problems disappeared. Sodium and/or MSG can be an issue for many people so go easy on your takeouts, especially Asian foods.

I love spicy foods and usually once or twice a week I'll eat a curry that's as hot as our local restaurant can make it. Always gives me a decent clean out and I'm always first to the toilet the following morning :sorry:

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic