Members
Latest Member
jacobss

What are YOU waiting for???

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
For the newbs out there, I'm sure you're training as hard as you can. You're stuffing your face. You're doing your best to bend bars and set PR's. Here's my question..... What are you doing to ensure longevity in this sport? What are you doing to keep your body running on all cyclinders? You may be actually warming up which means you're doing more than a few light sets before you begin your workout. You may even be foam rolling a little bit every now and then when you remember.

I implore you to really focus on your preventative measures to ensure a long and healthy life in this sport of iron we all enjoy so much.

I suggest you delve more deeply and pick up Kelly Starretts, Becoming a Supple Leopard. Don't stop there. Learn about recovery, mobility, flexibility, etc from all notable sources. Take it all in and try it all... find out what works for you and what doesn't. Ice baths, Epsom Salt Baths, Contrast showers, Banded Distractions, Voodoo Flossing, Foam Rolling, etc.

Don't wait till your hurt to start digging for answers. Do yourself a favor and start while your healthy, implement them while your healthy, and just maybe you'll run into fewer problems than many of us vets from cumulative **** ups back in the day.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
I read Kelly Starrett's book, and was able to take away some great insight and tips. I have changed how I "warm-up" and employ a variety of mobility and stretching techniques. And I also have started doing some of these things on my recovery days. The massage therapist that helps me with some of these things is also reading the book as well, since he has other clients who are involved in some athletic pursuit. It's not to say that there weren't some parts of the book that didn't particularly resonate with me. But I agree that there are aspects to it, that are probably useful to just about everybody.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
The book is good.

For me, as much as I hate them, ice baths and contrast showers work wonders.

flossing with compression bands, foam rolling, band distraction ( ala Donnie Thompson), and light cardio all help my recovery.

The big one I just found - you heard it here first ( okay, you've probably heard it somewhere else first) - get a car buffer/polisher and go to work breaking up all of your scar tissue.
No kidding. Go to harbor freight and get a $20 car buffer. Spend 10 minutes working over all the scar tissue in your legs and then go for a walk and see how you feel. It's effing magic for me. Helps with my biceps tendonitis too.

D

dragevo

MuscleHead
Jul 9, 2011
Anyone just thought about pre exhaustion workouts. Plenty of longevity when you don't have to put maximum tension on joints and ligaments and you still can tear up some muscle fibers

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
The book is good.

For me, as much as I hate them, ice baths and contrast showers work wonders.

flossing with compression bands, foam rolling, band distraction ( ala Donnie Thompson), and light cardio all help my recovery.

The big one I just found - you heard it here first ( okay, you've probably heard it somewhere else first) - get a car buffer/polisher and go to work breaking up all of your scar tissue.
No kidding. Go to harbor freight and get a $20 car buffer. Spend 10 minutes working over all the scar tissue in your legs and then go for a walk and see how you feel. It's effing magic for me. Helps with my biceps tendonitis too.

Funny you mention a car buffer. POB told me the same thing. I'm going to break down next week and pick one up (I have a lot of things to purchase next week).

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Anyone just thought about pre exhaustion workouts. Plenty of longevity when you don't have to put maximum tension on joints and ligaments and you still can tear up some muscle fibers

This thread is NOT meant for BBers.

Let me be clear this thread was written for those of us (and there are many on TID) who like to bend bars and set PR's meaning strength athletes... PLers, SM/SW, and Oly Lifters.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
This thread is NOT meant for BBers.

Let me be clear this thread was written for those of us (and there are many on TID) who like to bend bars and set PR's meaning strength athletes... PLers, SM/SW, and Oly Lifters.

Agreed.

There is some merit to them when injured, but most powerlifting training methods stress the opposite - stress the CNS with heavy singles.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Warming up
Foam rolling
Epsom salt baths
Stretching
I'm a master of taping body parts now
Realizing when I need to back off.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue