Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Weight Loss/Fat Burning

steeky93

steeky93

Jan 9, 2018
Guys,

I'm fairly new to training having been out of exercise for a year (or so) now. I'm 24 and have always been an active athlete but never had to take training/diet too seriously as I was genetically gifted.

I was hoping I could pick your brains and drink from the endless fountain of knowledge that seems to be streaming on here.

My goals are to lose weight/decrease bodyfat. Currently I weigh 203lbs - my end goal is 190lbs (I'm 5"8.) I've done a lot of reading over the past few weeks and have cleaned up my diet so that I'm consuming low carbs, high protein and average(ish) fats. I'm running at a calorie deficit of around 1000-1500 per day and training 5/6 times a week. I have also bought chlen (on the advice of a friend,) and I was wondering if chlen itself is enough/sufficient for fat burning and weight loss, or if I should try to stack it with something else? Are there any other fat burners or methods that I could try to increase my progress and help me reach my goals?

Any help/advice you can offer would be massively appreciated.

S

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
No idea what chlen is, translates in to penis in Russian when I do a search so if you bought some Russian penis, I hope it is tasty.

On a side not, your calorie deficiency and low carb should be enough to lose the weight you want. When did you start tying to cut and what have your results been so far?

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Sounds like you're on the right track. 1500 cal deficit per day sounds like too much, IMO. If your calories drop too low your body goes into starvation mode, and responds by dropping your metabolism, so your fat burning will slow. Better to be around 500-1000 calories per day deficit. Actually, around 500 sounds even better to me. That results in a pound of fat loss per week. 1000 calories per day puts you at around 2 pounds fat loss per week, if you can keep the metabolism going.

What you got from your friend is likely "clen" (clenbuterol). I'm not crazy about it, but it does work. If that's what you've got, you want to ramp up your dose by 20mcg per day, and I wouldn't go about 80mcg/day, as you'll get the hand tremors. Supplement with Taurine, as clen depletes that. You shouldn't run clen more then two weeks straight, IMO. Two weeks on, two weeks off... rinse and repeat.

steeky93

steeky93

Jan 9, 2018
No idea what chlen is, translates in to penis in Russian when I do a search so if you bought some Russian penis, I hope it is tasty.

On a side not, your calorie deficiency and low carb should be enough to lose the weight you want. When did you start tying to cut and what have your results been so far?

Please forgive my ignorance. I (hopefully) haven't bought a Russian penis. I am open to many things but I'm not sure Russian penis is one of them.

I think what I actually bought was clenbuterol (sic.)

In just over two weeks I'm down around 9lbs. I'd imagine my progress will stagnate sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the advice and fascination translation.

steeky93

steeky93

Jan 9, 2018
Sounds like you're on the right track. 1500 cal deficit per day sounds like too much, IMO. If your calories drop too low your body goes into starvation mode, and responds by dropping your metabolism, so your fat burning will slow. Better to be around 500-1000 calories per day deficit. Actually, around 500 sounds even better to me. That results in a pound of fat loss per week. 1000 calories per day puts you at around 2 pounds fat loss per week, if you can keep the metabolism going.

What you got from your friend is likely "clen" (clenbuterol). I'm not crazy about it, but it does work. If that's what you've got, you want to ramp up your dose by 20mcg per day, and I wouldn't go about 80mcg/day, as you'll get the hand tremors. Supplement with Taurine, as clen depletes that. You shouldn't run clen more then two weeks straight, IMO. Two weeks on, two weeks off... rinse and repeat.

I'm consuming 1350 calories max per day and burning in the range of 2500-3000 depending on the day (as I like to vary the intensity of my cardio.) I sit in an office all day so energy hasn't really an issue and I must admit I haven't been feeling hungry. Is it detrimental to my metabolism to eat so little, or with my activity level is it OK? I want a foundation that I can maintain and add parts to or take parts away from to try different thing such as ECA stacks (which I've been reading about on here.)

I've been taking the Chlen for 8 days now and was advised to take on a 2 week cycle and currently on 120mcg per day, I must have a good tolerance as I don't feel shaky as they told me I would.

Thank you for all your advice.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Some people can handle 120mcg/day, but most will have the shakes at that dose. If you're running liquid clen, it may be bunk or underdosed. ECA stacks are wonderful, IMO. They give you a boost, a nice sweat during your workout, and help boost your metabolism.

1350 calories/day seems a little low for a 200 pound male. A good rule of thumb is that you burn about 15cal/lb of lean mass per day. So if you're 200 pounds at 15% bodyfat, you've got about 170 pounds of lean mass. A daily maintenance calorie intake for that person with a normal metabolism would thus be 2550 cal/day. Some people have faster or slower metabolisms, but that's a general framework. I'd drop you calories down to 12 cal/lb per day. for the above hypothetical person, that would end up to be about 2040 calories/day, which would be about 500 calories.

If you don't feel super hungry maybe you should stick with your present plan, and then monitor your bodyfat reduction. If it plateaus, it's possible you need to slightly boost your calories (I know it's counterintuitive, but it is possible to push your caloric intake too low). Remember, your body doesn't know it's on a diet. For all it knows you're stranded in the desert and are running out of food. As a dynamic system, your body begins to slow the metabolism to conserve fuel, as it doesn't know when it will return to "normal" caloric intake.

Another little trick is to take your total number of calories, and spread them out over 5-6 meals/day rather than just 3. Helps keep the metabolic furnace burning, and helps to reduce the feeling of hunger. Keep your water levels high as well.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
Lots and lots of H2O. We're talking 100 ml or more a day.
I'd eat 1800-2000 calories a day for weightloss with your stats. You can go lower for short periods without damage but you don't want to stay there.
Do a Google search and read up on clen.

steeky93

steeky93

Jan 9, 2018
Some people can handle 120mcg/day, but most will have the shakes at that dose. If you're running liquid clen, it may be bunk or underdosed. ECA stacks are wonderful, IMO. They give you a boost, a nice sweat during your workout, and help boost your metabolism.

1350 calories/day seems a little low for a 200 pound male. A good rule of thumb is that you burn about 15cal/lb of lean mass per day. So if you're 200 pounds at 15% bodyfat, you've got about 170 pounds of lean mass. A daily maintenance calorie intake for that person with a normal metabolism would thus be 2550 cal/day. Some people have faster or slower metabolisms, but that's a general framework. I'd drop you calories down to 12 cal/lb per day. for the above hypothetical person, that would end up to be about 2040 calories/day, which would be about 500 calories.

If you don't feel super hungry maybe you should stick with your present plan, and then monitor your bodyfat reduction. If it plateaus, it's possible you need to slightly boost your calories (I know it's counterintuitive, but it is possible to push your caloric intake too low). Remember, your body doesn't know it's on a diet. For all it knows you're stranded in the desert and are running out of food. As a dynamic system, your body begins to slow the metabolism to conserve fuel, as it doesn't know when it will return to "normal" caloric intake.

Another little trick is to take your total number of calories, and spread them out over 5-6 meals/day rather than just 3. Helps keep the metabolic furnace burning, and helps to reduce the feeling of hunger. Keep your water levels high as well.

I feel OK - they're oral 20mcg tablets and I'm taking 6 per day - in the morning when I wake up. I initially feel the jitters but after an hour it dissipates and I feel 100%.

It does sound counterintuitive but at the same time it makes completely and total sense. Your body is an engine and needs fuel etc etc.

I'm conscious of increasing my calorie intake and feeling bloated/sick is the only thing. I think I will stay at 1350 for another week or two then gradually increase to a more stable and (probably) sustainable level.

I'm eating 3 main (if you can call them that at 1350 calories per day) meals per day and having "snacks" in between. Usually a low carb/high protein bar or yoghurt something like that. I try to eat something every 2-3 hours from 9am - 7pm then fast.

I really just wanted to make sure I was on the right track and not making any stupid mistakes that will hamper my progress. I know it is a long windy, twisting road and consistency ultimately is key but we all have to start somewhere.

Thanks again for your advice tommyguns, greatly appreciated.

steeky93

steeky93

Jan 9, 2018
Lots and lots of H2O. We're talking 100 ml or more a day.
I'd eat 1800-2000 calories a day for weightloss with your stats. You can go lower for short periods without damage but you don't want to stay there.
Do a Google search and read up on clen.

I'm drinking around 4-4.5 litres a day on average.

My plan is to stay at this deficit level for another 2 weeks then gradually increase the calories as the weight comes down.

My findings from Chlen were really inconclusive, some people saying its not worth shit and some saying yeah it works well. On the other hand people saying to stack it, but not sure what with?

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
In one respect, dieting is simple, but not easy. In the big scheme of things, you'll lose weight when your caloric intake is less than your calorie expenditure. Simple, right?

Except for the fact that since your body is dynamic, your metabolism will move up or down in response to certain type of activities. For example, as you get dehydrated, your metabolism slows. You drink enough water (no calories), and your metabolism goes back to "normal." You eat a ton of simple carbs in one sitting, your blood glucose spikes relatively quickly, and insulin is released to transport the glucose to the cells. But since you don't need all that fuel, it stores the excess as bodyfat. Do two monster meals per day rather than 6 small meals, and ingest simple carbs, you've got 2 fat storage events per day. So, there are wrinkles in the equation.

Best thing to do is KISS (keep it simple st*pid). Ingest lean protein, complex carbs and good fats spaced out evenly throughout the day. Keep yourself at a caloric deficit, and make adjustments as needed as your body adapts. Unless you're precontest and trying to get shredded you don't have to do anything nuts. Just stick with the basics, and keep plugging away. You didn't get out of shape overnight, you won't get back into shape overnight either.

Good luck.

steeky93

steeky93

Jan 9, 2018
In one respect, dieting is simple, but not easy. In the big scheme of things, you'll lose weight when your caloric intake is less than your calorie expenditure. Simple, right?

Except for the fact that since your body is dynamic, your metabolism will move up or down in response to certain type of activities. For example, as you get dehydrated, your metabolism slows. You drink enough water (no calories), and your metabolism goes back to "normal." You eat a ton of simple carbs in one sitting, your blood glucose spikes relatively quickly, and insulin is released to transport the glucose to the cells. But since you don't need all that fuel, it stores the excess as bodyfat. Do two monster meals per day rather than 6 small meals, and ingest simple carbs, you've got 2 fat storage events per day. So, there are wrinkles in the equation.

Best thing to do is KISS (keep it simple st*pid). Ingest lean protein, complex carbs and good fats spaced out evenly throughout the day. Keep yourself at a caloric deficit, and make adjustments as needed as your body adapts. Unless you're precontest and trying to get shredded you don't have to do anything nuts. Just stick with the basics, and keep plugging away. You didn't get out of shape overnight, you won't get back into shape overnight either.

Good luck.

I get the bottom line of it. Calories overall. Calorie deficit = weight loss.

I think my main problem is I can't eat breakfast (it makes me feel ill for most of the day.) I start with a light snack (high protein yoghurt) at around 9.30/10am to subsidise this, lunch at 12 and then another snack at 3.30/4 before dinner around 6/7 (most nights.) In your experience is this enough to keep my metabolism working at a "good" level? After I eat my dinner I drink a fair bit of water.

I'm happy with my progress and happy to take it slow and steady (wins the race.) I want to get down to a good weight then start cutting bodyfat % for the summer, look as lean as possible and then build lean mass for the winter. I have a plan, and I think I know how to do it generally. All your advice has been really well received and I can't thank you enough.

D

Donald Byma-Hill

Mar 3, 2018

dont touch clen. clenbuterol will mess you up with headaches if you take it wrong. I did it and hated the fact that I did enough water, food, exercise everything and it just messes with you. Plus you have to look at your source. If you decide to go against our advice that is you but good clen isnt cheap. Plus you have to think of medical risk. clen is a bronchio dialator and if you take it you could possibly have issues with it. So just keep it clean. adjust your diet, talk to guys on here and tweak stuff. dont resort straight to drugs. it isnt worth it and never will be in my honest opinion.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic