703723_1249482371733841_4895192897943407562_o.jpg

Saturday, February 27, 2016at 9 AM - 5 PM

Evolve Fitness Nashville
944 4th Ave S, Nashville, Tennessee 37210

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I can't even imagine providing this as a credential to a client. Suppose it's better than nothing. But a one day seminar?

You will never see me knock another coach, but there are some who are out there and their clients aren't maximizing or optimizing much. Offering certs like this just opens the floodgates...

Following the crossfit certification model I guess.

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
anybody can get a cert and anyone can call themselves coaches/trainers these days ;)

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
If I wanted his help I don't have to travel that far. If I'm not mistaken he works with Steve.

I agree with PoB that now you'll see certs popping up all over since CF has had so much success with them. I wouldn't mind sitting in on it. I'd be more interested in getting USAW Oly Lifting Certs though.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
If I wanted his help I don't have to travel that far. If I'm not mistaken he works with Steve.

I agree with PoB that now you'll see certs popping up all over since CF has had so much success with them. I wouldn't mind sitting in on it. I'd be more interested in getting USAW Oly Lifting Certs though.

Doing the USAW level 1 in June. For no other reason than to do it..

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Doing the USAW level 1 in June. For no other reason than to do it..

That's a legit cert. One of the few that really matter. Gotta say I'm a bit jealous.....

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
If you're going for something useful go take the powerlifting seminar with Westside or Laura Phelps and go to a few of Donnie Thompson's seminars on keeping athletes healthy....

The idea that you can be a "coach" from a seminar is what's wrong with crossfit ( and I really do like a lot of what crossfit is)...

Becoming a true coach is a lifelong undertaking. Right now there are maybe 4 or 5 real coaches in powerlifting.... Being a coach means successfully coaching a team. This means guys like Ernie Frantz and Ernie Lilliebridge Sr. at the helm of Team Frantz. Louie Simmons leading Westside Barbell and its affiliates. Garry Frank leading a ton of high school competitors....... I haven't heard much lately from Bill Crawford but he taught most of the new wave of geared benchers. The late Rick Hussey was a phenomenal coach too....... beyond that there are a few big gyms that have a top lifter or leader but not a true coach......

..... below that are all the guys who "coach" a small team but hardly have any real high level experience themselves to draw from.

.... and WAAAAAAAAAYYYY below that are the kids who take a class on being a trainer or coach and suddenly know everything and are selling training plans without ever accomplishing anything ever.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic