Threads
Members
Latest Member
Dragon_Kitty

Tough Mudder

S

SugarFree

Feb 23, 2012
The wife and her co-workers (while drinking) all decided to sign up for a tough mudder event; a 12 mile obstacle course. Now these aren’t people that are athletic or even train or train correctly if they do. The wife actually took it seriously enough to try though and did bust her butt trying to get in shape for it.

When she started the training she was bodpod tested at 33% body fat and her last test put her at 20%. 13% drop in 2-3 months is awesome. She would’ve still been better off training longer before attempting this kind of event but time was up.

She was so excited about it all week. Unfortunately it winded up being a total train wreck for her. It had a wind chill of 31 degrees at her start time. Second obstacle was a swim through a pool that they filled with ice. She went into hyperthermia right after the plunge and her sugar instantly dropped and she also happens to have hyperglycemia. She was pretty incoherent after that and just sort of stumbled and fell her way up until about the 2 mile mark before fully falling out. The medic said the hyperthermia does something to burn glucose levels out but I never heard that before. After a couple hours at the aid station she was fine beside a bunch of cuts and bruises and was just more disappointed then hurt.

Shes a bit depressed at the moment, along with being a bit beat up.

TM3.jpg

TM2.jpg

TM1.jpg

M

magician

Apr 10, 2012
I ran the north Georgia event last year and it was rough and I am in decent shape. There are a lot of people that show up at the start but never even come close to finishing. Keep her on track and maybe she can make the next one. The Spartan races are even more difficult.

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
We are doing it in Oct, just did the USMC Mud Run that was awesome.

I thought Spartan wasn't that bad at all. Easier than the USMC Mud Run

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
my wife and I did the tough mudder in the north a couple of weeks ago. It was about 50 degrees outside, but the wind chiill was in the 30s. we may have done the same one as you. if the first ice bath hurt, the rest of the course didn't get much easier. I'd say about 65% of the 27 obstacles involved water, and the water was about 40-45 degrees. I felt pretty good for the first 7 miles, tired between 7-10, and by mile 10 I just wanted to finish. the last 1.5 miles wasn't pretty, LOL. my wife got poison ivy, LOL My ankles were tender for about a week.

S

SugarFree

Feb 23, 2012
This was in PA over this past weekend. Wind chill was 31, actual was 38 degrees. They all look like a ton of fun and I specially like how the spartan events have different levels of difficulty. I think she would be better off starting as something with shorter distances and working her way up. Not sure how (or even if) she can get used to things like ice water though. As for me Im just the moral support. Im a disabled vet and my running days are over I think. I cant say how much I'd like to give it a try though...

Meathead.

Meathead.

VIP Member
Apr 1, 2011
Oh shit!! I have mine this weekend in Vermont!!!

S

SugarFree

Feb 23, 2012
Oh shit!! I have mine this weekend in Vermont!!!
Good luck this weekend. The ones filling the aid station were just the unlucky that either couldnt take the cold and went into hyperthermia or just had bad luck and tripped or twisted an ankle.

Suprisingly I didnt see a single person in boots. I cant picture running a rocky moutain trail along with military style obstacles without my ole boots on. Not sure anything at all can be done to prepare against the hyperthermia, not like dressing warmer is gonna help if your jumping in ice water.

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
Some guys at work did the one in Ohio a few weeks ago. They asked me too, but Im outta shape for something like that.. I guess some are hitting one in a month or two, not sure where its at.. What other states hold them??

S

SugarFree

Feb 23, 2012
You can check out toughmudder.com for a listing of events and locations but also keep in mind this is a 12 mile run and there are plenty of other mud runs available starting at like 3 miles and up. You might want to consider starting smaller and working your way up. I know my wife will be back stepping and trying one of the shorter ones next time..

Tiny

Tiny

Dec 12, 2011
A guy that I know is trying to get me to do run it with him next year. There is one coming up in two months, but he wants more time to train.

I've never considered doing it, but I will think it over. I don't know if I can run 12 miles...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic