Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
angelarbatt

Tommy Kono legendary weightlifter passed away yesterday .

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Watching the lifts performed by the greats is something magical. Words can't even describe it....

Remember reading a piece by ol' Bob Hoffman toward the end of his reign. He was railing against the then common perception of weightlifting making one slow, clumsy, and musclebound. Pointed out that in the Olympics, and he was very connected and knew everyone and everything, the Snatch was routinely timed at taking .75 seconds. I gotta assume that is floor to overhead and does not include standing up and waiting for the down signal, but, still . . . . .

I don't always trust what Hoffman said, but it's a pleasing thought for admirers of OL.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Remember reading a piece by ol' Bob Hoffman toward the end of his reign. He was railing against the then common perception of weightlifting making one slow, clumsy, and musclebound. Pointed out that in the Olympics, and he was very connected and knew everyone and everything, the Snatch was routinely timed at taking .75 seconds. I gotta assume that is floor to overhead and does not include standing up and waiting for the down signal, but, still . . . . .

I don't always trust what Hoffman said, but it's a pleasing thought for admirers of OL.

A technically proficient lifter will perform the snatch in much less then a second. He's right about that. What's really fun is breaking out the tendo and seeing how much power you're creating. They used to do that at Sorinex. John was to cheap to buy one but he did have nice Eleiko bars and bumpers. I'm toying with bringing back the Oly assisting lifts back into my training... snatch pull and high pull from the blocks, hang, and floor.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
"Dr Ken" Leistner once pointed out that the sport of powerlifting is a misnomer if you go by definitions from science courses. Force = mass x acceleration, work = force x distance, and power = how much work is generated in a unit of time. So, although PL's DO move bigger numbers, the much speedier OL's will probably demonstrate more power on that gizmo you mention, maybe more than any athlete in any sport. I'm fine with the names we grew up using, but Leistner's mind for strength related trivia always tickled me.

Last edited:
S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
You guys are jnloading some great info in this thread
Many of the things that you guys have mentioned i had no idea of. Thanks.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic