Members
Latest Member
angelarbatt

Low bar or high bar squats

MARTY313

MARTY313

VIP Member
Dec 21, 2012
Just recently switched to low bar squats. I had to re adjust my whole setup, but it seems that I'll be able to hit a lot more weight in a few weeks. I always used the excuse it hurt my elbows or whatever dumb bs I could think of. But when I get up in weight lately my lower back would kill me doing high bar.... Like a serious pump where I couldn't even walk.

So switched to low bar and felt 100x better. Little wider stance also. Hopefully this will get me to that 600lb squat soon.

So which do you guys use for comps? Also in my research I've found Claims that you could get 5-10% more weight with low bar squats.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
My comp stance is low bar, medium stance but I also train high bar as an assisting lift. High bar will build your low bar but not vice versa. Low bar puts more pressure on my shoulders, biceps, and wrists. Just work on shoulder mobility, wrist mobility, and things will be easier on your when you're wedging yourself into position.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Depends on the lifter.

Those back pumps mean you need to address your QL. It will rear it's ugly head again.

MARTY313

MARTY313

VIP Member
Dec 21, 2012
Depends on the lifter.

Those back pumps mean you need to address your QL. It will rear it's ugly head again.

You think stretching will keep it under control? Or strengthen it? Usually when it gets out of hand I'll do a little stretching and just hit another machine, then come back for more squat work after its back to normal.

MARTY313

MARTY313

VIP Member
Dec 21, 2012
Depends on the lifter.

the crew I train with all use high bar, except for one guy, and he's second I think in the nation @220lbs. All in the 500's with squats but this guys is over 700. So now I'm trying this low bar out and once I get a few weeks down I will probably start to wrap up too. I havent trained or competed with wraps yet.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic