Members
Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

Home from the hospital.....again

V

vin1080

Oct 22, 2011
Well,I'm sitting here trying to muster up the energy to type this. Last friday I put in a full day of working on a buddies car. After about 10 hrs of work we breaked for dinner and after that headed to the gym. We started with decline press. Nothing crazy. warmup with 135. Then moved on to 185,225,275,315,and 335lbs. By the time I got to my last set I felt like I was going to lose my lunch. So I ran to the bathroom (which I never really do in public,so u know it was bad) and had it coming up faster than I could throw it up. After a few minutes I started feeling a tiney bit better,and had no continuing pain so I went back out to the floor. I immediately felt like crap once I got back out there though. My buddy knows me very well and saw I had abnormal pain in my gut. After a few minutes he said I looked really pumped up and was sweating like an animal. I had veins popping out everywhere and was so sweaty I looked like I was oiled up. "Enough! You are starting to look pail as a ghost" he said. So we grabbed our stuff and cut the workout short. Being diabetic sometimes it just has to be that way. I love bodybuilding,but I love myself more. So I get about 5minutes down the road and have to pull over at a Mcdonalds to yack again. Now I'm starting to feel a throbbing pain in my gut like I just got kicked by a horse! Literaly. Not to boast but I'm no stranger to pain. I was stabbed in the abdomin in 2001 with a 6" blade, I've had all kinds of broken bones and shit like that. So I'm not a wuss at all. I'm pretty damn good with pain. But this was so unbearable I was beside myself in agony.
So I finally get home and I jump in the shower. The hot water seems to make my gut feel better a bit. So I test my bg level,cover myself with a unit of novalog and try to sleep a little. Few hours later I wake up to the same pain but worse. I try to shake it off but it's too bad. I know this pain....it's familiar to me....it's not going to stop. So I call my brother and we go to the ER. On the ride over we're talking to try to distract my mind from the pain and we both realize that this same thing has happened to me 3 years in a row to the day! Memorial day weekend 3 years in a row I've had the same thing happen to me.....wierd! I mean it's been exactly 12 months since the last attack,and it's been happening every 12 months. Actually, I've had this happen to me once or twice a year since 2002 when I had my motorcycle accident and they thought it was a reaction to the pain meds. So I get admitted through the ER into a room and they treat me for dehydration and gastroperesis. Only thing is if this was just gastroperesis it would be happening more frequent and it was happen from certain foods. It's wierd because I can eat anything year round and not get an attack from it. It just seems to happen when the hot weather starts and usually I've been on antibiotics recently when this occurs as well.
I'll come back to the rest of the story but this is what I think it could be in a nutshell. A yeast/fungus living in my stomach. I've had a lot of antibiotics over the years and sometimes I have failed to take them the correct way because I'll feel better and stop taking them. I know,I know. Dumb move. But I've got to be honest about this if I'm gonna' figure this out once and for all. I mean this has been going on for 10 years now and each time it happens the pain is so bad I cant even explain it. The last 3 times this has happened I ended up getting Thrush towards the end of my hospital stay which is usually around a week. I have a feeling it's not actual thrush but a fungus that is not fully going away and rather living in my stomach walls. I read that it breeds and festers with sugar and simple carbs. Being a diabetic it's hard to cut sugar out of the diet alltogether. It's needed when my bg level gets low and also I cant just not eat carbs. How would I take my insulin. My BG level would drop down to nothing. I'm getting a little ahead of myself,and I'm going to the doc today to get some labs and meds. Also you would think I shrunk from all this....I put on over 10 lbs of water from all the I.V liquids. I have some edema that they found when they did an upper endoscopy on me and when they did a hytascan which is a scan of the gallbladder CCK Hida Scan but everything came back ok.
So I'm pretty down in the dumps today. I was starting to make some real progress with my physique and I just don't want to be out of the gym for long. I want my health to be on track more than anything. But I also want to look good. IDK. I just am hoping that I figure this out and can treat it in a timely fashion. I use to be a solid 248lbs. I don't want to keep losing weight every year like I have been. I mean everyone says I look good at this size but I just miss the size and strength I had.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
WOW... Damn, let us know what you turn up and how you are doing, and the yeast/ fungus thing is interesting, I'll have to do more research on that.

V

vin1080

Oct 22, 2011
Just got home from the doc. Shot up to 210lbs from the water retention. My legs look massive,lol. They gave me Nystatin 100,000 unit tablets,Clotrimazole 10mg thoches (losenges) and put me on Pantoprazole sodium 40mg and gave me some 40mg Lasix pills. I'm meeting with a nutritionist that works with diabetics with gastroparesis and Candida specificaly. You should see the diet they say people with this problem should be on. It totaly contradicts anything to do with muscle building nutrition. I'm not getting too worried just yet. I am just gonna' ask them straight up,can I continue to train and eat to build muscle or not.

V

vin1080

Oct 22, 2011
WOW... Damn, let us know what you turn up and how you are doing, and the yeast/ fungus thing is interesting, I'll have to do more research on that.

Thanks,JackD. Any info you find would be greatly appreciated. Seriously!

ritch

ritch

MuscleHead
Dec 4, 2011
couldn't read it due to lack of paragraphs but sounds dramatic and hope you get better soon!

V

vin1080

Oct 22, 2011
couldn't read it due to lack of paragraphs but sounds dramatic and hope you get better soon!

Thanks,Ritch! I appreciater it! Sorry about the typing. I know,bro. I'm looking at it now and I'm like "WTF was I thinking" Thats how drained and out of it I was when I got home. I didnt even have the energy to type correctly.lol
On a positive note I'm starting to look like myself again. The water has drained from my hips and waist. I had a short but sweet workout last night. Did a little bit of all the core movements just to get the blood pumping again. Sitting in bed for a week can make you feel like you've shrunk down to nothing. Even while all the nurses and my doctors that came to check up on me in my room kept saying that I got much bigger than last time they saw me and how surprised they are at how much muscle I've put on in such a short period of time the mind plays tricks and the body can feel like it's going through atrophy. So anyway I ended up doing bench,pulldowns,shoulder press,cleans,shrugs.... Used the same weight I normally do. No pain in the abdomin Thank God. Overall just a good solid workout. I'm pleased with it after the week I've had.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic