Members
Latest Member
angelarbatt

Hawk last meet and update

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Since, I've been MIA I thought an update would be appropriate. Ill include some bio stuff along the way to fill in some gaps. Anyway, my last meet was early December of '15 and was a half ass apa meet. I went with some friends and entered both masters and open this time around. I didnt cut this time and just wanted to keep my sea legs so I weighed 283@5'11. I wanted to do well, but my heart wasnt in it to be honest.

I'll walk thru the attempts to my best memory.

Squat: my best lift but made a big mistake. I trained with 2m titan thp's but did 3m grippers days of. I also normaly do them myself since I dont train at a pling gym. I managed to piss off the judges as they waited as well as cutting my circulation in my right leg on every attempt but my third...which I wrapped myself. First attempt 550...stuck it. Second..walked it out and got red lighted...they said I wad too shaky (knee wraps). Third attempt 600...green. Training indicates I had 25+ more, but I screwed the pooch that day.

Bench: dealing with constant shoulder pain at the time...mostly from low bat squatting and poor mobility. The pain kept my bench training light and to a minimum. My goal was to hit 405 and no pain or injury...Ive done 417 at 242 but constant shoulder issues keep me from progressing. Anyway, opened 365...felt good, second was 385 and was heavy, last was 405...it was heavy and all I had but it went up. Btw the bench sucked and felt like we were sliding on wax paper. Even had duct tape on it lol.

DL: This was the interesting one for me. I hadnt deadlifted all summer so when I tested in September 500 felt like it was chained to the floor. My previous Meet PR was 565...ugh. I decided that I couldnt handle blasting it along with squats so I experimented with GTG. I did 315x2x3 3 days a week and 405x1x3 on Fridays. It worked but I didnt know how well since I never did above 405. I opened at 500 easy, second was 550 also easyish...but I didnt know if 600 was in the cards so I played it safe and did 580 on my third. I wish I did 600 cuz 580 was heavy but I had more.

Anyway, I havent done much since but there is a small flame starting up so well see what winter brings.

Hawk

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Good to see you around Hawk. Been a long time. It's nice not having to cut for a meet and just have a good time.

If your gym doesn't have a duffalo bar or safety squat bar you should consider investing in one. This will get rid of the elbow pain.

If you have anyone who is good with active release therapy or massage have them get at your sub scap. That's usually the source of the pain.

I have my guys lay on their back with their arm overhead. From there I dig my finger thru the lat in until I am touching the backside of the scapula. Find the little knot and compress for 2 minutes. It will yield and pain is gone. There are some other trigger points in the traps and upper back you should smash into with a lacrosse ball as well.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Good to see you around Hawk. Been a long time. It's nice not having to cut for a meet and just have a good time.

If your gym doesn't have a duffalo bar or safety squat bar you should consider investing in one. This will get rid of the elbow pain.

If you have anyone who is good with active release therapy or massage have them get at your sub scap. That's usually the source of the pain.

I have my guys lay on their back with their arm overhead. From there I dig my finger thru the lat in until I am touching the backside of the scapula. Find the little knot and compress for 2 minutes. It will yield and pain is gone. There are some other trigger points in the traps and upper back you should smash into with a lacrosse ball as well.

Thanks for chiming in POB. We have a SSB and I have been using that and high bars for the time being. I also used an ART the entire time up to my meet...that drained my wallet. These days I use my wooden ball and roll out my T spine for mobility which really helps. I am currently searching for a good MT. My last one moved to some cheezy day spa and only does 30 mins which boils down to 20 really. I am trying the girl at my ART's office this week as I saw the ART for my back and she recommended I try the resident one.

Thanks for all your helps,
Hawk

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic