Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Figuring out a good diet

TheSwindler

TheSwindler

May 5, 2014
So I have always had trouble trying to identify and pick out a good solid diet to help me "lean" bulk even though I realize that't not completely possible. Would appreciate some guidance in doing this. Currently I am eating about 3200-3400 calories a day comprised of around 45% carbs, 20% fats and 35% protein. I'm sure there are a lot of things wrong with this and that's why I'm coming for help.
Current stats:
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 210
BF%: 15

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Are you currently running any AAS or plan to? Well at minimum your getting about 360grams of protein day, and that's plenty. What sources are you getting your carbs from? I think the percentage breakdown looks fine and should be able to lean bulk with no problem as long as you are putting those carbs to work! What is your normal daily eating routine like? How many meals? Do you try to break down the percentages evenly at each meal to meat your daily caloric needs? Does your body process/use any certain foods better than others for performance, recovery, etc? If so, avoid foods that your body doesn't handle so well to avoid it being stored as excess fat or slowing digestion. What is your daily water Intake like? Sorry for the 21 questions but this info will help us all, help you. You're a tall dude!

TheSwindler

TheSwindler

May 5, 2014
Are you currently running any AAS or plan to? Well at minimum your getting about 360grams of protein day, and that's plenty. What sources are you getting your carbs from? I think the percentage breakdown looks fine and should be able to lean bulk with no problem as long as you are putting those carbs to work! What is your normal daily eating routine like? How many meals? Do you try to break down the percentages evenly at each meal to meat your daily caloric needs? Does your body process/use any certain foods better than others for performance, recovery, etc? If so, avoid foods that your body doesn't handle so well to avoid it being stored as excess fat or slowing digestion. What is your daily water Intake like? Sorry for the 21 questions but this info will help us all, help you. You're a tall dude!
Gonna do my best to answer everything I can here but 1.no I am currently not but I might want to in the future 2. I used a few different calculators and equations I've learned etc so if you have a better number for my carbs I'm open to changing that 3. Normally I try and eat about 6 times a day and separate most things equally. 4. Not to sure about specific food effects on recovery etc 5. Daily water intake is usually around 128oz

TheSwindler

TheSwindler

May 5, 2014
forgot to add but i get my carbs primarily from wheat bread, brown rice and protein shake

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
My approach would be as follows: Begin by calculating how many Kcals you need to maintain your bodyweight at your current activity level (or just go by what you are eating now, are you gaining or losing weight, or staying the same?).

I use the following formula to figure out basal metabolic rate: BMR = 500 + (10 x LBM). In your case your LBM is about 180 so your BMR would be roughly 2,300.

To get your body's actual caloric expenditure, multiply BMR by a factor between 1.2 to 1.9, depending on how active you are. 1.2 = sedate; 1.5 = moderately active. 1.9 = works hard all day long (i.e. hard physical work).

For argument's sake I'll use 1.5 (we can fix this later if I am too low or high), so 1.5 x 2,300 = 3,450 Kcals per day for you to maintain your current bodyweight. You can and should test this by eating that amount of Kcals for a couple weeks to see whether you gain or lose weight, then figure that into your diet as you go forward.

For a clean bulk I would eat about 500 to 1000 Kcals each day above that level. For macros I would have you eat 1.5 to 2.0g protein per lb of lean bodymass (in your case about 180lbs LBM x 1.5 to 2 = 270g to 360g protein which is 1080 Kcals to 1440 Kcals). I would keep the fats at or around 100g, and not let them get above 150g, (900 to 1350 Kcals) then get the rest of your Kcals from carbs.

So to make this easy, let's round up your maintenance Kcals to be 3,500. I would then shoot for you to eat 4,000 Kcals per day to begin the bulk, of which 300g should be protein (1,200 Kcals), 100g fats (900 Kcals) and the rest (1,900 kcals / 4 = 475g) carbs.

Eat this for a month and if you are gaining more than 2 lbs per week, cut back and if you gain less than a pound per week eat more.

Perhaps the most important part of all of this will be keeping track. You need to get a food scale and weigh or measure everything you eat. And you should log it in a food journal. I use fitday. there are others out there (i'll see if I can remember their names).

Last edited:
TheSwindler

TheSwindler

May 5, 2014
Thanks woodswise that gives me a pretty good set of guidelines to follow so I'm going to start on Monday with the 4000 and see how my body responds and I have myfitnesspal to keep track of everything.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
I was waiting to get home to respond but no need to. Woody gave you everything you need brother

TheSwindler

TheSwindler

May 5, 2014
Thanks woodswise and IronSoul, I appreciate that you two have been so willing to help me during my first few days on here ;)

TheSwindler

TheSwindler

May 5, 2014
So I followed the 4000 yesterday and man did that feel like eating a lot of food lol. Plus side was I had a lot of energy and killed some shoulders in the gym. So I'm hoping the diet works out seems like it will.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
So I followed the 4000 yesterday and man did that feel like eating a lot of food lol. Plus side was I had a lot of energy and killed some shoulders in the gym. So I'm hoping the diet works out seems like it will.

Lol it is tough to eat so much but it does wonders. The workouts are always amazing!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic