Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss

Facebook becomes directly accessible through Tor’s anonymity network

P

pumpingiron22

Mar 2, 2014
The social network has come out with a .onion address that works with SSL and lets users access Facebook without disclosing their true location.

photo:*Thinkstock/Michelle Piacquadio

Facebook has made it easier to access the social network through multiple layers of encryption and without disclosing your true location, by allowing direct access as a hidden service through Tor’s anonymity-focused browser.

Tor sometimes comes up against the security mechanisms of sites —*such as Facebook*and banking sites — that its users are trying to visit. Because it bounces browsing traffic between a number of nodes, so as to obscure the user’s actual location, it can sometimes display the same characteristics as techniques hackers use to hide their identity.

Working with Tor Project advocate Runa Sandvik and Steven Murdoch – the developer who originated the Tor Browser –*Facebook*solved the problem by creating a*.onion address*for the social network. These addresses can only be accessed through Tor’s network, and are often used for anonymous, hidden “deep web” services.

As Facebook software engineer Alec Muffett said in a*Friday post:

The idea is that the Facebook onion address connects you to Facebook’s Core WWW Infrastructure […] and it reflects one benefit of accessing Facebook this way: that it provides end-to-end communication, from your browser directly into a Facebook datacentre.

Muffett also explained that Facebook now provides an SSL security certificate that cites its .onion address: “Issuing an SSL certificate for a Tor implementation is — in the Tor world — a novel solution to attribute ownership of an onion address; other solutions for attribution are ripe for consideration, but we believe that this one provides an appropriate starting point for such discussion.” The .onion address doesn’t provide access to Facebook’s mobile-optimized site, by the way.

https://gigaom.com/2014/10/31/facebook-becomes-directly-available-through-tors-anonymity-network/

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Does that still work if you say you are eating at so and so restaurant with your friends? I'm not on FB but it pisses me off when my wife posts that we aren't home!

Anyway, carry on...

P

pumpingiron22

Mar 2, 2014
Its a new feature of acseesiblty. I will be looking into.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Yes, I got that part:
Facebook has made it easier to access the social network through multiple layers of encryption and without disclosing your true location
Every time I see someone pull up Facebook they are saying they are at a restaurant or some other place with so and so, hence my reference.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Does that still work if you say you are eating at so and so restaurant with your friends? I'm not on FB but it pisses me off when my wife posts that we aren't home!

Anyway, carry on...

I think she's posting that intentionally, isn't she? You either have to turn it on deliberately, or you have to make your FB post where you are. It's not by accident, I am sure of that. Tell her to knock it off. lol

I already lectured my wife about posting when we are going out of town etc.

On topic though, anything that FB has control of, I don't trust. Those ****ers will hand over any info that anyone asks for if the price is right or if any government agency is asking for without a warrant.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
LK's wife is always checking in at Sizzler....

D

Divorce

MuscleHead
Aug 11, 2011
I think she's posting that intentionally, isn't she? You either have to turn it on deliberately, or you have to make your FB post where you are. It's not by accident, I am sure of that. Tell her to knock it off. lol

I already lectured my wife about posting when we are going out of town etc.

On topic though, anything that FB has control of, I don't trust. Those ****ers will hand over any info that anyone asks for if the price is right or if any government agency is asking for without a warrant.

^^^ this you choose whether or not you post your location

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012

Anyway, carry on...

We're not on facebook either but even on sites like this I am cognizant enough not to post when I will be away on business or vacation. I make those posts when I get back, not before I go or while I am gone.

SuperBane

SuperBane

Jun 29, 2013
If you post on FB via mobile even if you don't "check in" to a place it automatically will post what city you are near.
I believe this is something you would have to go into the provacy settings and change.

Best thing to do is deactivate FB and forget it even exists.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic