Members
Latest Member
angelarbatt
What's New?

Diet/training advice for new guy

Adamo

Adamo

Dec 10, 2011
Hi one and all I know you have all read a post like this hundreds of times, so for that I apologise. I have been training hard for a while now and at first saw some good results. But am reaching a plateau and need some experienced advice.

I am a 31 year old male 6' and 210 pounds (15st) I train 8 times a week a different body part at every session. I have just started seriously looking at my diet. I have calculated that I eat 300grams of protein 400 grams of carbs and 90 grams of fat a day. I take only the essential sups. Protein, arginine, bcaa and creatine. Been stuck on 210 pounds for 6 months now. Was really looking to get into bodybuilding comps. Any advice greatly received.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
are you trying to gain weight or lose it?

what is your diet like, can you give us a few days of exactly what you are eating?

what is your training schedule/workout?

oh and welcome to the iron den! :D

Adamo

Adamo

Dec 10, 2011
Thank you for your welcome, unfortunately I have big man syndrome and want to be bigger. A typical day would be

4.30am 100g porridge with 25g whey mixed in.

5.30 am train straight after 75g whey shake

10 am 150g mackerel 25g cereal bar

12 am lunch 100g wholewheat pasta 100g chicken breast, 1 banana, 1apple, 2 cereal bar, 1 granola yoghurt and a snickers

4 pm protein bar

7pm dinner 100g brown rice 200g chicken 50g broccoli 50g asparagus

9pm train

10pm 25g whey shake.

Training is 5 day split legs, chest, back, shoulders, arms. All hard and heavy sessions. Lots of supersets, drop sets and some pyramids. I tend to throw a lot of different exercises in to mix it up so not to get in a rut.

F

FitnessFreek

Dec 11, 2011
You said you take the essential supplements but BCAAs and Arginine are definitely not essential. Scrap both of those and add a multi and a fish oil if you want to go with what is considered the necessary supps. Eat more, incorporate more intensity into training through things like drop sets, supersets, etc., and maybe add a pre WO supplement for more energy in the gym.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Did you say you train 8 days a week??? Train less. Seriously. And stop drinking so many shakes. Whey will not do for you what whole foods will. Get some real food going and you'll see new growth.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Seems like for the most part you got the life down well. I think some people inquired about same things I would. Whole foods would always trump supps. Pillar asked about the number of training days, I agree that is something to look over. You may need to recover more or maybe you are simply burning off everything. Can you specify what you go for the 8 days? How many sets per body part? Duration of workouts? Cardio? Other activities?

ritch

ritch

MuscleHead
Dec 4, 2011
no carbs post workout=big mistake. Why only 25 grams of protein mixed in your porrige?

you go from breakfast to 10am with no carbs? Then you eat a cereal bar. Garbage!

Protein bars in general are crap as well...

you then train and have only a whey shake after, no more cals and call it a day? Not good either. You need cals post workout, probably 100-130 cals here, not enough! You need another meal before bed. I'd eat whole eggs, easy to digest can be made in advance and taste good cold if need be.

I see one good balanced meal here, the 7mp one. Your lunch is way too big, spread out your cals.

Also overdoing it on drop sets, giant sets can lead to over training. When was the last time you took a week off?

Adamo

Adamo

Dec 10, 2011
Hi guys many thanks for the feedback thus far. I maybe didn't explain training properly. I do 5 days mon-fri, 5 morning sessions and 3 night sessions and take weekends off. I also do a physically demanding job during the day. As a general rule sessions are about an hour an a half. With roughly 8 exercises with 3 sets. Then a wee run on treadmill at the end.

I have read such a large amount of conflicting advice on weight gain. And in my eyes nothing beats experience, which is why I was asking. I have stayed drug free thus far in my fledgling career and would like to remain that way if possible. So if you could recommend any whole foods of supps I should be trying please enlighten me. many thanks

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic