Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

Combining tor with a vpn

P

pumpingiron22

Mar 2, 2014
COMBINING TOR WITH A VPN

I want to talk about a greatly debated topic.

Should I use a VPN with TOR?
Should I use TOR to connect to a VPN, or use a VPN to connect to TOR?

Let me say first of all, that when you are browsing the internet without TOR, you should probably be using a VPN regardless of whether or not you are using TOR. And make sure that the VPN uses some form of encryption as well. For those of you who are very beginner, think about when you connect to a public wifi network at a coffee shop, or an airport and you get all these warnings that your requests sent over this network are vulernable.

All networks, but especially public wifi networks are vulnerable to traffic analysis. Put this together with the fact that some internet service providers monitor your activity to some level, and you can see why it might be a good idea to always use an encrypted method of using the internet. At the very least to protect your personal information when you are entering credit cards, usernames and passwords, as well as other personal data online. Again, especially if you are using a public wifi network.

Choosing a VPN that uses at least 128 bit encryption like TOR is good practice, and will stop the majority of eavesdroppers. But if you can get 256 bit encryption, you are even safer. Before we get into whether or not we should be using a VPN together with TOR, I want to give you a few warnings regarding how you should be using a VPN.

If you are going to be using a VPN for any type of freedom fighting, make damn sure that your VPN does not keep logs. This is actually a lot harder than you might think. Many VPN providers will claim to not keep logs of your activity in order to gain you as a customer, because they have to compete with the other providers out there. Customers are going to trend towards providers who offer no identifying data retention. Unfortunately, this claim of theirs is not always the real case and I will give you an example.

There is a well known VPN provider named HideMyAss that previously claimed not to keep logs of its users. Unfortunately, when met with a court order from their government in the UK, they handed over evidence of a suspected hacker from an internet group LulzSec which helped lead to his arrest. The story can be found below.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/26/hidemyass_lulzsec_controversy/

One of the take home quotes from this article is the following.

We are not intimidated by the US government as some are claiming, we are simply complying with our countries legal system to avoid being potentially shut down and prosecuted ourselves.

A very smart man that goes by the online handle The Grugq, said when doing your freedom fighting online that nobody is going to go to jail for you, and he is 100% correct. When it comes down to it, no VPN provider is going to risk jail to protect a $20 a month subscriber. No matter how tough they sound, no matter how much they claim to care about protecting their customers, when faced with a choice to give you up or go to jail, they will always choose freedom.

Another thing to consider however, is using a VPN does hide your internet activity from your internet service provider. It can also hide the fact that you are using TOR, which may flag some suspicion when the feds start asking ISPs to provide data about their users. This may or may not be relevant, since many people use TOR and you can argue there are many legitimate reasons to use TOR and nothing suspicious about TOR. But it is just another factor to arouse suspicion that may or may not come into play and should be considered.

If you choose to use TOR over a VPN, the benefits are that you would be again, hiding from your ISP the fact that you are using TOR. Also, your VPN would only be able to see that you are connecting to TOR nodes and that you are sending encrypted data. The VPN would not be able to see what data you are sending over TOR unless they decrypted it, because remember, all information relayed over TOR is encrypted.

The downsides of course, as mentioned are that VPN providers may or may not log everything that you do in the form of meta data or even content if they have the storage capacity, and keep those logs on hand for a long time. In this case, it is no better than connecting to TOR through an ISP. Another thing to mention to those who will use VPNs when not using TOR, but also use VPNs when using TOR is remember when you are, and are not connected to your VPN. Sometimes VPNs can unexpectedly drop connections and you may not even be aware of it. If the reason you are using a VPN is to hide TOR activity from your ISP, then if your VPN drops, your ISP will start seeing your TOR traffic instead.

Or, maybe you forget that you are connected to your VPN and end up punching in your address on Google Maps to find directions somewhere. Well guess what Google does with all data entered into their system? They keep it. And they likely keep it indefinitely. So if one day the NSA identifies you on the TOR network by occupying a large number of nodes and using traffic analysis to identify you based on statistical analysis, it will link them to your VPN IP address.

At this point, they will likely ask the VPN to turn over data on their users, but if the VPN refuses to comply because they are not subject to US law, or the laws of other countries, they may check some of the big surveillance websites out there to see if you slipped up and used that IP address for anything else online. They will check logs from Google, Yahoo, Facebook, Twitter, Netflix and other big data collection companies to see who has been using that IP address to connect to their servers.

If you accidentally punched in your address on Google when connected to that VPN, you are now a suspect. So always keep things like this in mind. Just because you are covered behind a VPN does not mean you are not traceable by human error. The benefits of TOR, are that you get a new identity every time you connect. This may or may not be the case with your VPN, so please check and make sure.

Next post we will talk about the advantages and disadvantages of using TOR to connect to a VPN.

P

pumpingiron22

Mar 2, 2014
COMBINING TOR WITH A VPN CONTINUED

Ok, now let us talk about why you may want to connect to a VPN over TOR.

The data flow would look like this. You -> Tor -> VPN -> Internet

The benefits of doing that are as follows. You are more anonymous to your VPN in case they happen to keep logs, or if you do something using the VPN that you are not supposed to and a website or server grabs your VPN IP address. In the case of this happening, even if the VPN manages to keep logs of everything you do, they can only identify you as an anonymous TOR user as long as you did not purchase the service like an idiot with your credit card or Paypal account. If you use Bitcoin, and made sure the the Bitcoin trail is not easily traceable you should be okay. Some websites block TOR users from connecting to their websites or servers, by using your VPN to appear as the exit node, you are hiding your TOR activity from the website you are visiting and hopefully bypassing their filters.

Another advantage, is that if your VPN connection does drop, your fall back will be your TOR IP address instead of your real IP address. And finally, if you are passing through a compromised TOR exit node, your information will remain encrypted through the VPN's encryption protocol until it reaches the exit node of the VPN. This is a good thing if you are passing through a compromised exit node, but do not forget that the VPN could be logging everything you are doing anyways. Do not trust anybody who has access to your unecrypted data!

A few of the downsides of doing things this way, as mentioned in the previous post are that your ISP knows you are using TOR, when and for how long. This may or may not matter to you, but it is just something to consider. Second, you will be unable to visit hidden services websites. Remember those .onion sites we talked about in the beginning? You need to be connected to the TOR network to visit those hidden service websites.

But I am connected to TOR aren't I? Yes you are, but your final method of communicating with the internet does not come from the TOR network, it comes from your VPN. And your VPN is likely not configured for TOR. In order for you to be able to connect to a hidden services, you must either be connected directly to TOR, or use a VPN to connect to TOR. TOR must be your final node of connectivity in order to visit onion websites.

The choice is ultimately up to you, and every person in every state, province and country will have different reasons for wanting to do VPN to TOR or TOR to VPN, or just TOR, or just VPN. Whatever choice you make, please keep all the things mentioned in this post and the previous post in mind. None of these methods will save you if you enter anything identifying about yourself online. Do not log into your Facebook account using your VPN. Do not check your email or search a nearby address on Google using your VPN. In fact, stay away from Google altogether unless absolutely necessary.

There are two other search engines out now that do not store information about their users.

#1 - DuckDuckGo. They have both a clearnet URL and a hidden services URL for both types of users.
https://www.duckduckgo.com
http://3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion/ - Please note the hidden services mirror is not HTTPS

#2 - StartPage. This server also does not store any information about its users.
https://www.startpage.com

Before we move on, I want to go back to how to choose a good VPN. When looking for a VPN provider, you will most likely come across two protocols to choose from. Find out which one your VPN provider is using before you sign up with them. PPTP and OpenVPN. At this time, I am going to highly recommend that you avoid PPTP and stick with OpenVPN providers. Check out this site for a quick comparison.

http://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn/openvpn-vs-pptp

As you can see, PPTP uses a weaker encryption, 128-bit versus 160-bit to 256-bit for OpenVPN. It offers basic security versus a high level of security using something called digital certificates. This is basically a way to make sure they data coming in is sent from your VPN provider and not injected by some malicious third party because the incoming and outgoing data are signed using specially obtained certificates, similar to showing your ID to get into a a restricted area.

The only downside is that setting up OpenVPN can be a little challenging for the less technical users, but there are plenty of great tutorials online to set up OpenVPN providers and your VPN provider itself will likely help you get set up as well. PPTP has been abandoned by those who demand the highest level of security, so I would recommend to avoid it. A third option for VPN providers is L2TP/IPsec, but many users now believe it has also been compromised by the NSA due to its weaker levels of encryption and should be avoided as well. Stick with OpenVPN.

Lastly, if you want to know how to connect to TOR over a VPN. If you are using OpenVPN like I recommended, then you it is really quite simple. Make sure you are connected to your VPN, check your IP address to on any website such as WhatIsMyIpAddress.com to make sure it has changed. Then, open TOR or open TAILS and start using TOR and you are now connected to TOR over a VPN.

Connecting to a VPN over TOR is a more tricky and currently above my skill set since OpenVPN reconfigures your network routes so Tor can't be running on the same host. As soon as I figure it out, I will post a tutorial, and if anybody can share an easy way to connect a VPN over TOR, then please share it with this thread.

UPDATE

A method of connecting to a VPN over TOR has been added to this thread but is currently only able to be used by Windows users. You can read it about it at the link below.

CONNECTING TOR -> VPN FOR WINDOWS USERS - http://thehub7gqe43miyc.onion/index.php?topic=52.msg515#msg515

P

pumpingiron22

Mar 2, 2014
CONNECTING TOR -> VPN FOR WINDOWS USERS

After a long search, I have found a way you can connect TOR -> VPN. It is not perfect, and some might not agree with doing things this way, but it works and I am giving it to you as an option, but it only works for Windows users at this time.

If you look back at my previous posts regarding combining VPN and TOR then you will find the reasons why you would want to do so, and some of the reasons why you might not want to do it. But I was unable to provide you with a way to connect to a VPN using TOR so that the VPN does not know who you are. When it comes to TOR -> VPN, if you cannot trust your VPN, which you rarely should, then keeping your identity anonymous from your VPN is a good idea. Also, with more and more people using TOR, but with only around 4000 TOR exit nodes, many of the exit node IP addresses are being flagged as spammers on popular websites and limiting the usage of well meaning TOR users to post on message boards like Stack Exchange and so forth.

The way that I found you can do TOR -> VPN is by using a virtual machine, preferrably Virtual Box and running another instance of Windows, preferrably one that uses less memory than your current version. You also want to run TOR Expert and Tortilla on your host OS. I talk about how to do this in previous posts. Next set your Virtual Box to route all it's network traffic through Tortilla (bridge adapter), which routes it all through TOR. Currently Tortilla is only supported by Windows, which is why this option is only available to Windows users at this time. Doing this also makes it easier to do things like watch videos on YouTube.

Now that you have your Windows Virtual Machine running on TOR, you can install a VPN of your choice, preferrably one using OpenVPN on your Windows Guest OS and connect to it. Check your IP address before connecting and after and you should see a different IP address. If all went well, you now have a virtual machine running TOR -> VPN. Then if you want to add another layer, you can download TOR browser bundle onto your virtual machine and run that as well giving you TOR -> VPN -> TOR for another layer of security. Also you have the option using this method to use a VPN on your host OS, then Tor Expert with Tortilla, then another VPN on your guest OS, then TOR browser, giving you VPN -> TOR -> VPN -> TOR.

I am not advocating any whcih method, you need to make that decision on your own, I am just giving you the knowledge necesary to make an informed decison and you can ultimately choose which method you feel most comfortable with. Sometimes doing TOR -> VPN is necessary because of the spam filter reasons I mentioned above and other times having TOR as your last node to the internet is necessary like when accessing the onion network. It is completely up to you and I know that we are trying to shy away from Windows usage because of all the exploits and other reasons spoken about in the previous posts, but if you have no other way of staying anonymous from your VPN than this, then I think it is a good compromise until we have something like Tortilla that is compatible with Linux distributions.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic