Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

a discussion on neural effects of steroids and other hormones

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
This is one of those debates that have been discussed and talked about for a long time and one of my interest is neuroscience so lets discuss affects taking aas may have on brain function good or bad.
Here is a couple of simple studies to start things off, so post up some ideas, theories, and research you may have.

An old study when they first started noticing hormones/aas affecting brain function. Those of you experiencing low test levels know how your concentration sucks and moods are low.

Testosterone and Cognitive function
19 July 2001

Testosterone improves cognitive function in older men
Short-term supplementation with testosterone could enhance cognitive function in healthy older men, researchers report in Neurology.

Monique Cherrier (University of Washington Medical School, Seattle) and colleagues randomly assigned 25 healthy men, aged 50 to 80 years, to receive a six-week course of weekly testosterone (100 mg) injections or placebo. Cognitive evaluations were conducted at baseline, week three, and week six, and were based on scores from a battery of neuropsychologic tests.

Among the participants receiving testosterone, levels of circulating testosterone increased by an average of 130% by week three and by 116% by week six. Nevertheless, the researchers note that because of aromatization of testosterone, levels of estradiol also increased by an average of 77% at week three and by 73% at week six.

Cherrier's team found that spatial ability and verbal memory were significantly improved among the testosterone group, compared with their baseline cognitive ability and that of the placebo group. However, they point out: 'Improvements were not evident for all cognitive domains, such as selective attention or language, suggesting that increases in serum testosterone or estradiol have selective or specific effects on memory and spatial abilities.'

The authors concede that their results do not explain whether the improvements in cognition are attributable to increased testosterone or estradiol levels, or both. They add that further studies are needed to examine the relative contribution of testosterone compared with estradiol on cognition in men.

Neurology 2001; 57: 80–88

And an old study done on women to showing brain function increasing or decreasing with fluctuating hormone levels. Thyroid hormone is another important factor for both women and men for brain function.

Performance in spatial tasks sensitive to hormonal fluctuations
Women appear to perform better in spatial tasks during the menstrual phase of their cycle compared with the midluteal phase and German scientists believe that hormonal fluctuations are the reason why.

A group led by Dr Markus Hausmann (Ruhr-Universitat Bochum, Germany) studied eight women in their 20s and 30s. The women took part in 3 different tests of spatial abilities on the 2nd and 22nd days of their menstrual cycles. The researchers also took blood samples every three days in order to analyze concentrations of estradiol, progesterone, testosterone, lutenizing hormone, and follicle-stimulating hormone. For two of the tests, the women's scores did not differ significantly for day two and twenty-two. However, scores for the Mental Rotation Test – where they were asked to recognize rotated versions of a figure – were higher for day two of the cycle in all except one of the women. Dr Hausmann also noted that hormonal fluctuations indicated that estrogen and progesterone were related to the women's spatial scores; higher levels of estrogen were linked to lower scores, while higher concentrations of testosterone were linked to higher scores. The group commented that their findings could explain some of the differences between the way men think compared with women. The authors conclude that 'spatial performance is sensitive to hormonal fluctuations over the menstrual cycle and that different aspects of spatial abilities are related to different hormones or hormone combinations'.

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Also studies showing down regulation of 5-HT1b receptors and upregulation in 5-HT2 receptors.

5-HT1b is a key receptor involved with the release and synthesis of serotonin. Downregulation of that receptor there would be decreased serotonin production. 5-ht2 recpetor in patients with major depression, 5-HT2 receptor density is increased.
So it looks like Deca could either work as an anti-depressant or cause depression depending on dose and each individual, maybe tren is more profound on theese receptors being a stronger progestin ? IMO most definitely.
high levels of Deca have also been shown to cause a downregulation of mRNA for subunit receptor NR1, (possibly one of the ways deca helps to cover joint pain/muscle pain as well)

Aggression has been shown and is closely related to both norepinephrine and serotonin levels.

So AAS definitely do have a profound effect on brain function, good and bad being dose dependant it seems.

Just to give you an idea of excessive highs and lows of either biogenic amine.

high norepinephrine is assoc'd with :
excessive arousal, increased impulsive acts, increased heart rate

low norepinephrine is assoc'd with :
lack of arousal, increased affinity to premeditated violence, thrill-seeking (looking for that stimulation)

High serotonin:
shyness, obsessive compulsions, fearfulness, lack of self confidence, decreased aggression

low serotonin:
depression, suicide, impulsive aggression, alcoholism (which first drink would raise it, subsequent would cause it to go down even further - hence the increased propensity for violence), sexual deviance, explosive rage

This study showing deca boosting 5-HT and 5-HIAA in those damn rats,(I hate using rat studies so post up others if you have them) now if the same is true for humans deca would have anti depressant qualities for a-while.

Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2003 Jan;35(1):32-8. Related Articles, Links

Nandrolone decanoate enhances hypothalamic biogenic amines in rats.

Tamaki T, Shiraishi T, Takeda H, Matsumiya T, Roy RR, Edgerton VR.

Department of Physiology, Uinversity of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA. [email protected]

PURPOSE: To identify possible mechanisms for an anabolic-androgenic steroid induced increase in aggressive behavior and work capacity, the levels of some biogenic amines considered to be closely related to a systemic hyper-adrenergic state were measured in selected regions of the brain. METHODS: Wistar male rats were divided randomly into five groups: nontreated (control), oil-vehicle-treated (vehicle) or one of three (therapeutic dose and 10- or 100-fold higher dose) anabolic-androgenic steroid-treated (steroid-1, -2, -3) groups. Rats in the steroid and vehicle groups were given a single dose of nandrolone decanoate or oil vehicle, respectively, one week before tissue sampling. The levels of norepinephrine (NE) and its metabolite, 4-hydroxy-3-methoxyphenylglycol (MHPG), serotonin (5-HT) and its metabolite, 5-hydroxy-indole-3-acetic acid (5-HIAA) were measured in the cerebral cortex, hypothalamus and cerebellum by high-performance liquid chromatography. Immunostaining for c-fos was performed as a confirmation of increased neural activity. RESULTS: The levels of NE and MHPG were increased by approximately 2- and approximately 7-fold in the hypothalamus of the steroid-2 compared with the control and vehicle groups. The levels of 5-HT and 5-HIAA were approximately 40 and approximately 50% higher in the steroid-2 compared with the control and vehicle groups. A significantly higher number of c-fos expressing neurons were observed in the periventricular region of the steroid-2 than the control and vehicle groups, indicating enhanced neuronal activity after nandrolone decanoate treatment. CONCLUSIONS: The present results, combined with previously reported findings of physical performance enhancement after anabolic-androgenic steroid treatment, are consistent with the interpretation that elevated levels of adrenergic and serotonergic amines in the hypothalamus could contribute to aggressive behaviors as well as improved physical performance

Last edited:
marx

marx

MuscleHead
Sep 29, 2010
Very very interesting stuff SHINE. I know when I'm on my mind is clearer and my focus better. All around a better sense of well being.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Awesome addition shine. I find this interesting as well. I blast and cruise all year, and I find that in either of those I do feel much better and my memory is much better as a result. I find that if I take to much Anti-E, or when I really don't need it, my memory and mood suffer. Just a blah tired could care less about life feeling. So balance is key, probably why women scored so well on day 2 of there cycle, the body had the right amount of hormone. Interesting. topic, great post

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Awesome addition shine. I find this interesting as well. I blast and cruise all year, and I find that in either of those I do feel much better and my memory is much better as a result. I find that if I take to much Anti-E, or when I really don't need it, my memory and mood suffer. Just a blah tired could care less about life feeling. So balance is key, probably why women scored so well on day 2 of there cycle, the body had the right amount of hormone. Interesting. topic, great post

Thanks bro,
yea it's been one of my area's of focus lately, I will fill everyone in on the mood and memory and how hormones definitely affect this.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic