Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

Ashwaghanda

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
I just recently heard about this supplement. Anyone try it?

W

whatsup

MuscleHead
Apr 11, 2017
I have, different brands and don't feel any different.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

slicwilly2000

slicwilly2000

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
I believe it's in one of the blends I buy. I can send you the link if you want.

Slic.

kid666

kid666

VIP Member
Jan 28, 2011
I use it.I take it along with Turmeric, works decent as an anti inflammatory so im not eating Motrin 24/7.... Supposed to also help reduce cortisol levels and anxiety as well.
If you buy it make sure to buy one with black pepper. Ashwaghanda alone is hard for the body to absorb.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Sachin Wankhede, Deepak Langade, Kedar Joshi, Shymal R. Sinha and Sauvik Bhattacharyya. Examining the effect of Withania somnifera supplementation on muscle strength and recovery: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2015, 12:43.

Abstract

Background

Withania somnifera (ashwagandha) is a prominent herb in Ayurveda. This study was conducted to examine the possible effects of ashwagandha root extract consumption on muscle mass and strength in healthy young men engaged in resistance training.

Methods
In this 8-week, randomized, prospective, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical study, 57 young male subjects (18–50 years old) with little experience in resistance training were randomized into treatment (29 subjects) and placebo (28 subjects) groups. Subjects in the treatment group consumed 300 mg of ashwagandha root extract twice daily, while the control group consumed starch placebos. Following baseline measurements, both groups of subjects underwent resistance training for 8 weeks and measurements were repeated at the end of week 8. The primary efficacy measure was muscle strength. The secondary efficacy measures were muscle size, body composition, serum testosterone levels and muscle recovery. Muscle strength was evaluated using the 1-RM load for the bench press and leg extension exercises. Muscle recovery was evaluated by using serum creatine kinase level as a marker of muscle injury from the effects of exercise.

Results
Compared to the placebo subjects, the group treated with ashwagandha had significantly greater increases in muscle strength on the bench-press exercise (Placebo: 26.4 kg, 95 % CI, 19.5, 33.3 vs. Ashwagandha: 46.0 kg, 95 % CI 36.6, 55.5; p = 0.001) and the leg-extension exercise (Placebo: 9.8 kg, 95 % CI, 7.2,12.3 vs. Ashwagandha: 14.5 kg, 95 % CI, 10.8,18.2; p = 0.04), and significantly greater muscle size increase at the arms (Placebo: 5.3 cm2, 95 % CI, 3.3,7.2 vs. Ashwagandha: 8.6 cm2, 95 % CI, 6.9,10.8; p = 0.01) and chest (Placebo: 1.4 cm, 95 % CI, 0.8, 2.0 vs. Ashwagandha: 3.3 cm, 95 % CI, 2.6, 4.1; p < 0.001). Compared to the placebo subjects, the subjects receiving ashwagandha also had significantly greater reduction of exercise-induced muscle damage as indicated by the stabilization of serum creatine kinase (Placebo: 1307.5 U/L, 95 % CI, 1202.8, 1412.1, vs. Ashwagandha: 1462.6 U/L, 95 % CI, 1366.2, 1559.1; p = 0.03), significantly greater increase in testosterone level (Placebo: 18.0 ng/dL, 95 % CI, -15.8, 51.8 vs. Ashwagandha: 96.2 ng/dL, 95 % CI, 54.7, 137.5; p = 0.004), and a significantly greater decrease in body fat percentage (Placebo: 1.5 %, 95 % CI, 0.4 %, 2.6 % vs. Ashwagandha: 3.5 %, 95 % CI, 2.0 %, 4.9 %; p = 0.03).

Conclusion
This study reports that ashwagandha supplementation is associated with significant increases in muscle mass and strength and suggests that ashwagandha supplementation may be useful in conjunction with a resistance training program.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
Archana, Sachan Shalini, Mishra H. S., Yadav K. N. Ashwagandha: Solution to Stress and Insomnia. Indian Journal of Ancient Medicine and Yoga
Volume 8 Number 3, July - September 2015a

Abstract
Hectic and unhealthy life style has been a prime factor for various life style disorders including
Alzheimer’s disease, arthritis, atherosclerosis, metabolic syndromes, obesity, sleep disorders etc. Sleep
disorders are serious enough to interfere with normal physical, mental, social and emotional functioning
[1]. Sleep disorders include hyposomnia, hypersomnia and insomnia. Insomia is the most common problem
of present generation. Stress is the one of commonest causes attributed to insomnia [3]. Nidra is one of the
Upastambhas described in ancient classics [2]. Ayurveda, with its holistic approach can help in this
condition with its unique way of life style management and drug therapy. Whithania somnifera (L.) Dunal
(family Solanaceae), commonly known as Ashwagandha (Indian ginseng), has been used to treat a number
of medical condition in Ayurveda [4]. In Bangsen, Ashwagandha has been indicated for the treatment of
insomnia [5]. This herb is considered as an adaptogen. Ashwagandha effectively alleviates insomnia but
does not act as sedative. It’s rejuvenative and nervine tonic properties produce energy which in turn
helps the body to settle and sleep [6]. It reduces significantly the cortisol level which is an indicator for
stress and anxiety. Thus Ashwagandha can prove wonderful for the treatment of sleep disorders specifically
insomnia.

So what else seems to be beneficial with this herb?

Ashwagandha: more muscle strength, more lean body mass, lower fat percentage

Withania somnifera / Ashwagandha

If healthy people take 3-5 ashwagandha capsules every day, their muscle strength and lean body mass increase and their fat percentage decreases. In addition, taking this herb, which is used in the ayurveda tradition, reduces the chance of cardiovascular disease. Researchers at the ICMR Advanced Centre for Reverse Pharmacology in Traditional Medicine discovered this.

Ashwagandha
In the classical Indian tradition of ayurvedic medicine, ashwangandha, like shilajit, is a rasayana: a remedy with a rejuvenating effect. Traditional healers in India prescribe ashwagandha mainly as a medicine that can improve general health and condition. The researchers carried out this study to find out whether the same effects were found in healthy men and women.

Study
They gave 12 men and 6 women aged 18-30 an extract of ashwagandha for a period of 30 days. On days 1-10 the dose was 750 mg per day, on days 11-20 it was 1000 mg per day, and on days 21-30 the dose was 1250 mg per day. The subjects took half the total daily dose twice a day.

The researchers studied the subjects twice before administration of the extract started. Administration of the extract started just after the second time that the researchers had seen the subjects [Visit 2].

On days 11 [Visit 3], 21 [Visit 4] and 31 [Visit 5], the researchers examined the subjects again.

Lean body mass
The figure below shows how the subjects' lean body mass rose by just less than two kilograms, and their fat percentage decreased by over two percent after they had taken ashwagandha. To be precise: the extract reduced the average fat percentage from 27.78 to 25.51 percent.

Strength
The researchers also measured the amount of strength the subjects could generate with their hands, their quadriceps and their lower back. These all increased during the supplementation period.

The strength effects in the quadriceps and lower back were statistically significant; the strength effect in the hands was not.

Lipids
Ashwagandha supplementation reduced the concentration of triglycerides in the blood by a significant amount. The decline in LDL concentration was almost significant.

Side effects
The researchers also used the trial to assess whether ashwagandha was safe in the – fairly high – doses that were used. One person at least suffered from side effects.

Source:
J Ayurveda Integr Med. 2012 Jul;3(3):111-4.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23125505

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
I believe it's in one of the blends I buy. I can send you the link if you want.

Slic.

I picked some up. It does contain pepper but I don’t think it has too many other ingredients in it.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
I've taken it before but didn't notice much. I was super stressed out when I was on it though....which is what I was taking it for...lol. I've wanted to give it another try for awhile....but i'm already taking too much stuff right now. I'll post up if I try it again. I think I used Swanson.

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
I was hoping it might help me sleep through the night.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic