Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kuma
What's New?

37 years old, never lifted heavy weights. Switching form bodyweight training to weight lifting.

Lone Rider

Lone Rider

Mar 23, 2013
I just want to mention that 20 lbs in 48 months time doing it naturally is not a unreachable goal. Dedication and diet is the main thing. Running is hard on your joints. Not bad for u just hard on the joints. Welcome to the den also.

Thanks! I said 20 pounds because it's a round number but really, I aim at reaching 185-190lbs and I'm already 170lbs. I know I need to lose some fat but overall, I'm lean enough to have a "showing" 6-pack (albeit a small one) ;)

Lone Rider

Lone Rider

Mar 23, 2013
Its my opinion running is evil...not all cardio is running. If running hurts your knees there is non reason to punish yourself by doing it. I avoid running other than sprinting for that very reason. But I personally don't know anyone who has managed to bulk up who were runners...not that it is impossible, just not the norm. If you want to add 20lbs of muscle in 2 years you are going to need to focus on diet and training and eat enough to fuel adding that much mass. Eating enough to add muscle is harder than it sounds and heavy cardio of any kind will require you to eat even more to offset the energy you burn doing it.

Now I get your point. Yes, running is out of the question for me. I really do most of my cardio on bicycle, stationary or real. You just pointed at my biggest problem in the end of your post: eating enough to build muscle mass. I never was a big eater and I need to change that. Of course I don't plan to become a really big eater but I will switch my diet to include more eggs (whites) and more fish. I already drink two protein shakes each training day, both with a side of oatmeal with nuts.

I will browse the diet section of the forum to get more info, thank you for being specific on my question!

Lone Rider

Lone Rider

Mar 23, 2013
Now that I've gotten my 10th post, I can finally link my picture. You will understand my goals I think. I don't want to get BIG, I just want to get bigger muscles. My muscles are already showing but they are really small, thank you bodyweight training. Feel free to laugh or judge if you want, I have my own goals and my own reasons not to get too big. I admire bodybuilders with commitment but I really respect those who don't judge others for being smaller. It's not everyone's goal to be the biggest dude in the gym! So here it is:

oldf2.jpg

Thank you for your comments or advice, I'm open minded and ready to take every bit of info thrown at me.

Fire in the hole!

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Don't forget the potatoes n rice ;)
Welcome and good luck!

Lone Rider

Lone Rider

Mar 23, 2013
Don't forget the potatoes n rice ;)
Welcome and good luck!

I eat a brown rice/basmati/wild rice/red rice mix once a day, it's part of my supper meal. Potatoes are hard to eat for me, I need salt to make it pass. I found a new non-salted spice I like but I need to research the nutritional facts before starting to use it. I eat a 10 pound potato sack in two weeks, I know a natural bodybuilder who eats that in a day or so. I could never do that, thanks for the advice!

Another thing I forgot to mention: I don't eat a lot of grocery meat, except chicken breast once a week and 1 slice of ham with my eggwhite sandwich. As for red meat, I ONLY eat game meat: Elk, Reindeer and Moose. No beef, no grocery red meat at all. My father is a hunter, he goes 3 times/year and always brings back tons of game meat. I know most people don't know much about that but remember, these animals are all vegetarians so they don't have the muscles of Carnivorous animals. Very tender meat, very low fat but a taste that takes some getting used to. Most people can't take it but I couldn't live without it. I plan to become a hunter myself when my father stops hunting (next years or so). I have to get over my hate of killing animals, the toughest thing for me. I plan to start practicing next year, I hope I can stand it...

Last edited:
Braw16

Braw16

MuscleHead
Aug 8, 2012
Nice pic you have a great starting base. I have a problem with my hip sliding out of place so for cardio I only do the seated bike or elliptical. IMO do not run with the hip you have if you can swim that would be great or set the incline on the tread and do a fast walk. No need to beat up your body any more. My neck is also fused I have the plates and screws so I do not dead lift. This is really going to be about your diet if you dial that in you will reach your goal. Good luck welcome and keep us posted on your progress.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Doesn't have to be potatoes or white rice but my point was to try and get some simple carbs somewhere in ur diet and time it right.... A big mistake new lifters make is cutting out the carbs or only taking in complex carbs... You need simple carbs also at the right time to build muscle...
I won't get into it to much but it's something for you to start researching for urself...

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
As a mixed-martial arts fan, I have heard a lot of good things about TRT. Yet, my "idols" are all against it. It's hard to make a wise decision in that case. If my goal was to get the biggest I can get, then I would do it. But it's not my goal, I aim at reaching 185-190lbs weight on my 5'8" frame. I can't afford too big a muscle mass, it would hinder my martial-arts/skateboarding/snowboarding/musician passions. Thank you for the advice though, I heard a lot of good things about TRT in the last years. The only doubt I have left is about long term effects. No studies have been done yet but most doctors think it can/will harm your natural T production, forcing you to take TRT for the rest of your life (even after your bodybuilding career). If TRT was free it would not be a big deal but you know it's not free, it's damn expensive I hear!

I will take your advice and get my T levels checked, thanks again!

Trt is a life commitment, therapeutic /restorative dose as after puberty your natty production falls....
And despite your " idols" thought low testosterone is a medical problem in many ways outside of muscle building .....

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
Now I get your point. Yes, running is out of the question for me. I really do most of my cardio on bicycle, stationary or real. You just pointed at my biggest problem in the end of your post: eating enough to build muscle mass. I never was a big eater and I need to change that. Of course I don't plan to become a really big eater but I will switch my diet to include more eggs (whites) and more fish. I already drink two protein shakes each training day, both with a side of oatmeal with nuts.

I will browse the diet section of the forum to get more info, thank you for being specific on my question!

There is no benefit of running over biking etc... It is higher intensity, hence the " best " for leaning out ... But if you need to burn 300 cals , burn it it doesn't matter how unless you're strapped for time...

There are a bunch of guys here that force feed, and there has been some awesome tips... First will mention that without carbs you're not going to build ... I know protein gets hammered home but you need carbs as well...
Some of the tips i know is setting alarms for eating
Add cream cheese to everything
Take coconut oil between meals... Etc

Lone Rider

Lone Rider

Mar 23, 2013
I'll be sure to follow this guideline. When you say cream cheese, do you mean cottage or just regular bagel cream cheese? Coconut oil is a great idea, I'll be sure to pick some in my next grocery and check the recommended use in the diet section. As for regular carbs, I do eat a lot of complex carbs so I guess I could raise my regular carbs intake. Thank you!

Lone Rider

Lone Rider

Mar 23, 2013
Trt is a life commitment, therapeutic /restorative dose as after puberty your natty production falls....
And despite your " idols" thought low testosterone is a medical problem in many ways outside of muscle building .....

You are right. When I say my idols are against it, it's more a question of it still being legit in mixed-martial arts. Many fighters on TRT have had prior steroids positive tests (prohibited in martial arts) so there is a huge taboo against it. The Athletic Commissions still allow it and these guys pay a doctor to claim they have hypogonaid. Everybody knows they hurt their T production with steroid use, they were never really diagnosed with hypogonaid, a serious ailment that REQUIRES TRT in real life.

So they go out and claim hypogonaid to get a Therapeutic Use Exemption of TRT, thus gaining an unfair advantage over "cleaner" fighters that are not allowed to take Testosterone (a potent steroid) in any form. I would consider TRT as a last resort if I had REALLY low T or a serious disease requiring it, never to get a boost in the gains I wish to get. I don't blame bodybuilders who do that thought, it might be one of the safest form of "juicing" medically available, despite the fact you can be linked to TRT for the rest of your life after that (not proven yet).

Last edited:
dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
If you're 40 going against a 20year old is it an unfair advantage that he has puberty levels of testosterone and higher growth hormone output , while you're at an unhealthy low level causing your bones to deteriorate , your energy levels suffer not to mention the increased injury risks and the longer , way longer recovery time ??

My point is if you're getting legitimate needed trt at your age is not an unfair advantage it is maintaining your health ...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic