Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Free Testosterone and SHBG(Sex Hormone-Binding Globulin)

mands

mands

VIP Member
Jul 24, 2012
Found this article on Free Test and SHBG. Thought it was helpful.

Some researchers believe that free testosterone is the only testosterone that really counts, since it is the testosterone ready and able to actually "work" on your tissues. And there is a lot of truth to this. However, other experts counter that total testosterone is really the better number, because it acts as reserve or bank to build from. Well, I will leave that debate for the men in white, but, in the meantime, it's best to realize that free testosterone is an incredibly important number for men to monitor and maintain.

So why do some say that free testosterone the only testosterone that does your body any good? The reason is that about two thirds of non-free, or bound testosterone is actually chemically bonded to a protein called Sex Hormone-Binding Globulin (SHBG) and about 1/3 to a protein called albumin. Only a small percentage (about 2 percent) is actually free to supercharge our brains, blood, muscles, sex lives and all the other things we associate with testosterone.

So what then controls your free testosterone? It turns out that your levels of SHBG are actually very important, because, of course, SHBG is what binds to testosterone and can take it "out of commission." SHBG is controlled and produced in the liver primarily by androgens (and thyroxine). Normal aging, as many of us know all too painfully, leads to substantial drops in androgens such as testosterone and a corresponding rise in SHBG. Think how ugly this is: decreasing testosterone leads to increasing SHBG which leads to decreased free testosterone. No wonder some of you feel like crap!

Do you know the foods and drinks that increase erection-boosting Nitric Oxide? Check out the Peak Erectile Strength Diet where I show you how to dramatically and naturally improve your erectile strength.

So how do you know if your free testosterone is low? It starts with a simple test from your doctor. You sometimes have to ask for this, as some doctors just stick with total testosterone. Generally, free testosterone is given as a percentage of total testosterone, the typically acceptable range according to the lab listed as 1.5%-2.5%.

NOTE: Men on HRT (Hormone Replacement Therarpy or testosterone therapy) will often have an elevated free testosterone percentage.

Let me give you some of the most important ways to control SHBG and Free Testosterone:

1) Estrogen. You must keep your estrogen levels in check. Research shows that normal aging as well as an increase in adipose - that's a nice way of saying fat - tissue leads to ever increasing levels of estrogen. And here's the key: increasing estrogen leads to increasing SHBG. Please read the important link on How to Control Estrogen.

2) Testosterone. Low testosterone levels will tend to raise your SHBG as well. Yes, that's called a vicious circle. Read this link on How to Raise Testosterone Naturally if you have not already.
Your doctor won't give you testosterone? Show him What Low T Does.
Combine supplements for max erectile strength? Go with This Approach.

3) Medications and Alcohol. Many medications can effect SHBG. Remember that SHBG is made in the liver and most medications effect the liver. Common drugs that often raise SHBG are sedatives, antihypertensiaves, tranquilizers as well as your old friends beer and booze.

4) Stinging Nettle. Another way to lower SHBG is through an herb called Stinging Nettle. Stringing Nettle is widely prescribed in Europe for BPH ( Benign Prostate Hypertrophy). Several studies have documented Stinging Nettle's SHBG-lowering powers [2] and, so far, Stinging Nettle has an excellent safety profile. However, its side effect profile is worth mentioning: Stinging Nettle also blocks the action of the enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT. This seems good since DHT is associated with things like hair loss and prostate problems. However, sometimes, in sensitive individuals, side effects include erectile dysfuntion and a decreased amount of semen. I should point out that there are no studies, as far as I know, that actually show Stinging Nettle increasing free testosterone: more research needs to be done.

5) Insulin Resistance. Insulin resistance will lower your SHBG [1] and, therefore, in the short term probably raise free testosterone. So let's all get insulin resistant and live happily ever after, right? Wrong! Insulin resistance is a death warrant. (Read this link on Metabolic Syndrome for more details.)

6) Sugar and Corn Syrup. These bad boys can lower SHBG. Unfortunately, these can lead to insulin resistance, inflammation, advanced glycation end products and many other nasty things. How does it do all this? Researchers have discovered that sugar will also lower SHBG, because it increases fat synthesis in the liver, which in turn shuts off the gene involved in SHBG synthesis. Bottom line: stay away from sugar and corn syrup even though in the short term they may raise your free testosterone.

7) Green Tea. Green Tea does actually raise SHBG.

8) Vitamin D. Vitamin D was found in a 2009 study of about 2,300 adult males to lower SHBG and increase both free and total testosterone. [3]

9) Boron (Sodium Tetraborate or Borax). One study showed that boron can not only increase free testosterone but lower estradiol as well. See my link on Boron and Testosterone for more details.

10) Protein-to-Carbohydrate Ratio. The protein/carbohydrate ratio has an interesting effect on free testosterone and SHBG. Several studies have shown that increasing carbs versus protein boosts total testosterone. However, before you start pounding granola bars, one study found that increasing the protein/carb ratio not only increased total testosterone but also SHBG. [4] This means that free testosterone may not have been increased significantly because of SHBG's opposing effects. (Increasing the protein to carbohydrate ratio also increased cortisol, a fact I cover elsewhere on this site.)

REFERENCES:

1) J Korean Diabetes Assoc, 1998 Sep,22(3):328-337

2) Planta Med, 1995 Feb, 61(1):31-32; Fortschr Med, Nov 10 1996, 114(31):407-411; Z Naturforsch [C], 1995 Jan-Feb,50(1-2):98-104

3) Clin Endocrinol (Oxf), 2009 Dec 29, [Epub ahead of print], "Association of vitamin D status with serum androgen levels in men"

4) Life Sciences, May 4 1987, 40(18)1761-1768, "Diet-hormone interactions: Protein/carbohydrate ratio alters reciprocally the plasma levels of testosterone and cortisol and their respective binding globulins in man"

mands

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Solid truths in there, IS true that HRT and exogenous test lowers SHBG , one article it showed that the higher test levels were the lower shbg was.

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
Control estro, prolactin, cortisol, and supplement ~1g of avena sativa (the legitimate kind with the cosides, i only know of 2 places to get this kind..) and shbg should stay low. Winstrol and masteron also helps, winstrol moreso, and proviron is supposed to be the best for it.

V

Vick

MuscleHead
Jun 13, 2012
I remember in the 90s Boron was all the rage and what about some links for the stinging nettle and avena sativa?

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Only time Shbg is a problem is pct a bit, for those of you doing aas cycles don't worry about it.

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
yes SHONE, for those using exogenous test, SHBG is regulated nicely....much like your receptor count is upregulated when you intake more AAS. Your body is not an idiot, lol, it can adapt very well.

BTW, for those wanting to add proviron, winstrol or something else to your cycle to lower SHBG... just add in some Aromasin and kill 2 birds with one stone ;)

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
yes SHONE, for those using exogenous test, SHBG is regulated nicely....much like your receptor count is upregulated when you intake more AAS. Your body is not an idiot, lol, it can adapt very well.

BTW, for those wanting to add proviron, winstrol or something else to your cycle to lower SHBG... just add in some Aromasin and kill 2 birds with one stone ;)

Shbg while cycling is nothing to worry about, however, as you said, the body adapts. Therefore, when blasting and cruising, the body will try to normalize by having a larger amount if shbg to bind more free test to help "normalize" the hormones, just like it creates more estro. Aromasin or arinidex will either one work to an extent, however, once on for a very long time, more and more test will bebound until the body only has the amount of FREE test that it would uae naturally, thus ADAPTING. However, using other measures to eliminate shbg and create more free test, such as using the avena cosides in legit avena sativa, and occasionaly adding in proviron, mast, or win will help keep shbg down, thus allowing consistent gains on exo test.

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010

Really Great Somes ? lmao did you ever read the article * a nice clinical trial done on men with test HRT* where the higher test levels were taken exogenously SHBG levels leveled out and actually went back down?
Last time I checked test is an androgen to.

And Cortisol is higher to as you take lots of aas to right?

WRONG!!!

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/281/6/E1172/T2.expansion
Notice in the study SHBG lowers at around 300mg of test Every week and keeps geting lower with the amount taken each week.

Last edited:
Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
ajordana... exemestane is quite good at freeing up test (see quote from article below and link) but I can see that using exemestane while cruising isn't the most viable option. So, in that case I would agree with you. The testing below was done on males, but not while on AAS....so keep that in mind...

SHBG concentrations were decreased by 21 ± 7% (P = 0.0003) and 19 ± 39% (P = 0.18) at 25 and 50 mg exemestane, respectively. Free testosterone concentrations were increased by 117 ± 74% (P = 0.0001) and 154 ± 95% (P < 0.0001) at both doses, due to the decrease in SHBG and the increase in total testosterone.

Pharmacokinetics and Dose Finding of a Potent Aromatase Inhibitor, Aromasin

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
lol, you must be havin a bad day SHINERS!! or else I'm horrible at typing, haha. I was AGREEING with you... maybe the word "regulate" you didn't like? lol. I agree that while on Test your SHBG is lowered....

OH, and the only thing in either of the posts that can raise cortisol levels dramatically is aromasin ;) But that's at an everyday dose of 25 to 50mg, which I assume no one does because the effects would be worse than winstrol, lol

Really Great Somes ? lmao did you ever read the article * a nice clinical trial done on men with test HRT* where the higher test levels were taken exogenously SHBG levels leveled out and actually went back down?
Last time I checked test is an androgen to.

And Cortisol is higher to as you take lots of aas to right?

WRONG!!!

Testosterone dose-response relationships in healthy young men
Notice in the study SHBG lowers at around 300mg of test Every week and keeps geting lower with the amount taken each week.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic