Latest Member
severedthumbz
What's New?

Uncle Al's Training Log

Yomo

Yomo

MuscleHead
Dec 18, 2015
that had to be one hellova session to be a part of...family as a whole had to feel great...congrats on all the PRs, and for damn near being only a hop and a skip away from yearly goals, only midway through the year....

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
that had to be one hellova session to be a part of...family as a whole had to feel great...congrats on all the PRs, and for damn near being only a hop and a skip away from yearly goals, only midway through the year....
It was a good time. The only downside was my granddaughter, Alex, couldn't be a part of it all. She was also excited about nailing a PR, but she had to work.

To be honest, I set the bar pretty low for myaelf this year. The plan had been to scale things back because of how easy it is to incur injury at my age...but I don't seem to be able to do that. I blame it on everyone's logs here. You guys are all getting stronger, and I don't wanna be left behind.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Awesome family training day. I have to say, I'm looking forward to your upcoming meet more than my own. But the fact you are thinking push-pull ... that's pretty cool. Too late to change your DL-only to an Iron Man?

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
Awesome family training day. I have to say, I'm looking forward to your upcoming meet more than my own. But the fact you are thinking push-pull ... that's pretty cool. Too late to change your DL-only to an Iron Man?
No, Chris. I still have the entry. Here's the deal though. The original plan was to do push/pull. However, the promoter is billing this as a single-lift competition, so he can charge a fee for each lift. The first lift is $70, and each additional lift is $35. I find that really offensive and as of now, will restrict myself to one lift only on principle...although I'm kinda screwing myself out of having that much more fun.

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
IYTWL: 5s x 40
Single ATG Goblet Squat: 2 minutes
Leg Raise: 20,20,20
McGill Big 4

GM: 45x5, 95x5x2, 135x5 ss with
Pause Squat: 95x5x2, 135x5, 185x3, 225x3
Squat: 255x1, 285x1, 275x3, 245x5

Chest Assisted Row: 230x5, 270x5, 300x3, 225x10
Chin: 75x5x3, 75x3 drop to bodyweight x 15
Poundstone Curl: 65x52

Sled: 115 x 250 paces with 30 chest presses, 30 rows, 15 curls
Walk: 6 miles

Bodyweight: 166.2

* Lotsa volume again today. The plan is to continue to over-reach for another week or so in hopes of reaping a big rebound when I cut back during the final three or four weeks. I'm eating like I have two assholes to aid recovery...and putting on mass, but I'll have plenty of time to drop a few pounds if I need to. In the meantime, I must say, I am one pretty little mo fo.
* Originally, thought I'd go for a top squat single of 325-335 today (so I could be a big boy, just like Chris), but I could tell I'd be risking failure by the way 285 felt. So, I dropped the weight and did a few reps instead. Probably shouldn't be squatting near max while peaking for a deadlift only competition anyway. Do you guys think just doing something like 8 sets of paused low box squat doubles with 50% of my 1rm competition squat would be better deadlift assistance than the heavy stuff? (I'm doing that during my heavy deadlift weeks anyway.)

Last edited:
ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Ah yeah, I remember you explaining that to me. I can understand the frustration of having to pay for a second lift if you do the push-pull. Man, I'd love to see you do both lifts ... but it's a no-brainer to do the meet as DL-only, and then do something down the road. There's always another meet around the corner.

_3M_

_3M_

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2015
Congrats to the boys on their PRs!

You are getting strong my friend, don't put yourself down.

And quite honestly I think a huge mistake that some of us newbies to the sport make, is setting the bar too high or having too high of expectations and feeling like crap when we come up short. You may have set the bar low for yourself Al but now that you're so close you are able to put alittle pressure on yourself to attain the next short term goal you set and hit your long term goal eventually.

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
SSB Squat: 65x5, 85x5, 115x5, 155x5, 175x5
3" Deficit Deadlift agains Purple Bands: 135x3, 225x3, 275x3x3
Reverse Hyper: 150x12, 200x10x3
GHR: 12,12,12
Prowler: 2 plates x 25 paces x 8
GHR Situp: 10x15, 25x12
Reverse Hyper (back dekinker): 120x15
Walk: 5 miles

Bodyweight: 165.0

This is my light deadlift week, so I decided to play around with bands. Worked on speed; cued leaning back and keeping the bar close to my body. The deficit slowed the start of the first rep of each triple down a bit, but the second and third were pretty fast. Didn't push that hard, but it was still a productive session.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Nice work Al ... I've recently been a bit tentative about the cue keeping the bar close to the body, because while that's a good rule of thumb for most people, there are some people that round that lower back when it's too close. I think that was messing up my deadlift awhile back and thought it was because of my longer arms.

I know that you know what you're doing, but I was wondering if you agree or disagree?

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
Nice work Al ... I've recently been a bit tentative about the cue keeping the bar close to the body, because while that's a good rule of thumb for most people, there are some people that round that lower back when it's too close. I think that was messing up my deadlift awhile back and thought it was because of my longer arms.

I know that you know what you're doing, but I was wondering if you agree or disagree?
Never really thought about that, Chris, but it makes sense. My shoulders tend to be too far forward as I begin the lift, which of course causes the bar to move out in front of me, so in my case, the cue can mean the difference between success and failure or having to horse up the lift with the resultant shaking legs and strained back.

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
My grandaugher, Alex, gratuated high school this morning, putting the family in party mode; consequently, no one was interested in training today...except grandpa. Didn't get to go a gym where I could do power work, but was able to sneak in a quicky at our community training center, which has dumbells, a dual cable station, and machines.

PUSH
IYTWLs: 5s x 30
Pull-Apart: Red mini x 50 x 2
DB Floor Press: 50s x 15 x 4
Incline DB Press: 50s x 12 x 3
Decline Cable Flye x 15 x 3
Cable Press x 10 x 3
Machine Dip: 225x15x3, 165x25
Full Body Crunch: 60

Bodyweight: 164.2

Nothing earth shattering, but enough to keep the neurons flowing. Time to party.

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Way to get in something...now go enjoy!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic