Latest Member
severedthumbz
What's New?

Uncle Al's Training Log

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
Great job liftin. Glad we could provide you some lifting motivation. I know it's kind of an over-used phrase but truthfully, I do get motivated by the folks here at the Den. There are times I've pushed myself solely on the thought that I could get a little bit of 'kudos' from the Den.
I had officially retired after I finally pulled over 500 in 2014, but decided to do one more meet with my son and grandsons, because the local newspaper said they'd make a big deal out of the three generations competing together. I received so much unexpected support from logging on TID, now I plan to do still another to get the attaboys from my pals here.

…I don't know, I think I've permanently taken Good Mornings out of my lifting. I'll do them with bands to warm-up, but I think they don't work for me. Stiffed Leg DLs might be better. We'll see.
I think they are too dangerous for older lifters, but I am going to keep some very light ones in this cycle, because I'm experimenting with my own bastardization of Coan's DL routine*, which includes them, and like you, feel they have value as lower back warmup and hammie stretch. (*I split the routine into two days and don't do the accessories as a complex.)

Last edited:
Yomo

Yomo

MuscleHead
Dec 18, 2015
I love dropping by your log...incredible lifting, insane amount of motivation for myself....good luck with the Coan routine, pretty brutal volume...

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Al-
Thanks for the props for CL and I. To echo him, I think we all sometimes push ourselves for the respect of our friends on here and I am okay with that!

Your training is ridiculous, as usual. Two questions:
1. How long do these take!?!?
2. Are you taking in cals during?
3. Do you do mobs in between?

Okay 3 questions. Public school.

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
I love dropping by your log...incredible lifting, insane amount of motivation for myself....good luck with the Coan routine, pretty brutal volume...
Thank you for your kind words, brother. My split version of the Coan routine is nowhere near as brutal as the real thing, but my overall volume is still pretty high.

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
Al-
Thanks for the props for CL and I. To echo him, I think we all sometimes push ourselves for the respect of our friends on here and I am okay with that!

Your training is ridiculous, as usual. Two questions:
1. How long do these take!?!?
2. Are you taking in cals during?
3. Do you do mobs in between?

Okay 3 questions. Public school.
Yea, we keep each other motivated, that's for sure.

1. Training sessions usually take about two hours, unless I start bull shitting between sets.
2. I drink a mix of protein/bcaas, Powerade, and coffee with half & half. Sometimes, I add oatmeal, but it makes me gag.
3 (beaten mercilessly by nuns until stricken with counting OCD). Do you mean mobility, mean old bastard, or are you insulting my Italian heritage? If mobility, only during squats, because my depth is otherwise abysmal. However, I start every session with functional mobility movements and finish with mobility & stretching.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Yea, you and I are the resident TID reppers, Turbo. It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta set the bar.

I like Belgian ales. My fav is Three Philosophers.

Reps = strength. =))

Nice man. The Belgian Ales, what type are they? Like ipa, stout, lager, etc? Sorry for my ignorance, kinda new with the beers.

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
The Belgian Ales, what type are they? Like ipa, stout, lager, etc? Sorry for my ignorance, kinda new with the beers.
Beer is divided into ales and lagers, based on fermentation (yeast). The ales include Belgians, IPAs, stouts and a few others. The Belgians I like most are dark and complex (you can taste fruit, nuts, coffee, chocolate, herbs, and a host of other shit). A 750 ml bottle of Three Philosophers or Duran gives me a righteous buzz, too. There are also lighter and more simple Belgians, too, like the popular Blue Moon. I drink those with dinner, since they won't bloat me, like the heavier ones.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
LOWER REAR TRAIN
Deadlift: 135x5, 135x3, 225x3, 315x2, 365x2, 405x2, 425x2, 365x3x2
Reverse Hyper: 80x10, 150x10, 220x10x2
GHR: 8,8,8
GHR Situp: 15,12

Cat Vomit
Bird Dog
Front & Side Plank
Curl-up: 30

Bodyweight: 166.0

* Trained at one of the local hardcore gyms, which has a deadlift bar and reverse hyper & GHR stations. Awesome group of lifters, too. Had a great time.
* Volume was low, due to an inordinate amount of bull shitting.
* The double with 425 wasn't fast, but it was a smooth RPE 8.5.

Last edited:
UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
Just three of us today for family bench press.

Bobby: 75x5, 85x3, 95x2, 105x1, 115x0, 90x6
Vin: 135x8, 185x5, 225x3, 255x3, 275x3, 245x8

Gramps:
CGBP: 45x20, 95x10, 135x5, 165x3, 195x2, 225x1, 240x1, 240x1, 215x3, 205x5
One-Arm Rear Lateral: Black mini x 15 x 4 ss with
Tri Pressdown: Black mini x 30 x 4
Pullup: 27 +5,5,5,5,5 rest/pause
Curl: 85x8, 95x8, 105x8 drop to 55x15
Hike: 5 miles

Bodyweight: 165.6

Good bench day.
*Bobby's multiple rep sets continue to get easier by the week. He came sooooo close to making his 115 PR attempt. I think he psyched himself out.
* Big Vinny was super strong, hitting some nice numbers easily.
* All of my singles were paused. Top sets weren't easy, but I'm on schedule to meet my goal in eight weeks.

Turned 70 this week. Here's a summary of the numbers I hope to maintain for the next five years and where I am at now at mid cycle:

Squat. 315 goal reached this week. Doubt I'll try to exceed it, since anywhere near double bodyweight kills my hips.
Bench Press. With eight weeks to go in this cycle, my singles with 240 put me ahead of schedule to meet my 250 goal.
Deadlift. My double with 425 pretty much puts me at my goal of 450. I will probably up it to 460.
Pullups. Already exceeding my goal of 25. Will definitely up it to 30.

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Happy belated birthday! Hope the beers served you well. Blessed to have your family with you, for celebration and for this lifting life.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Good try Bobby! That 115 will be his very soon.

All around nice bench day, Al ... those 1RM goals will be there. Let's see, between us, who can get to a 460 pull first! :)

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Nice pulls and bench! And happy birthday!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic