Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
severedthumbz
What's New?

Seated or Standing Shoulder press?

Oct 29, 2010
I've generally done all my military presses ect seated. On of my bros swears by standing... What do you guys do and why?

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I do barbell seated and dumbbells standing. Mainly do this just for variation. Plus sometimes I do the DBs one arm at a time because it's a little tough to get 2 DBs that are 100#+ into position. It makes it easier to do this standing.

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
I typically do them seated, I can isolate the muscle better that way and get a better quality lift

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
i do them seated for the reason that redneck stated, i am more stable and can concentrate on using my shoulders and not the pressure on my lower back.

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
generally I do them either way for the variation utilizing db's bb's or even the shoulder press machine. Also standing facing or away from the machine is another good variation. I do prefer doing them seated though, which is my preference

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I do standing, but the main difference to me is how you do them. They are right, more pressure on your lower lumbar area with standing. But I feel you incorporate more areas with standing. The other thing I have seen some do, is the push/presses. Legs are incorporated big time (and momentum). I don't do these. I just unrack it and press. I think personally, if you are doing either of them, you are on the right track. Great movement in my opinion.

Fish77

Fish77

VIP Member
Dec 24, 2010
When I do the Arnold press, rotating out the front db press, I stand some times. It lets me cheat the last few reps, and for me that is high volume lift.

Heavy db or bb I do seated.

Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
Only use Dbells, used to do them standing but now do them seated as I find it too difficult to swing the Dbells up when standing.

Dangling Unit

Dangling Unit

MuscleHead
Jan 2, 2011
Military press works more stabilizing muscles. BTW, it's not called a military press if you're seated.

crowman

crowman

MuscleHead
Nov 2, 2011
I've generally done all my military presses ect seated. On of my bros swears by standing... What do you guys do and why?

do both. change is good. seated, standing, barbell, dumbell, clean and press. Here is one that will kill you..or does me. Seated dumbell clean and press. it frys your entire shoulder. I only use 50lb db's for sets of 12 but talk about an insane burn.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I do both but my staple is the Standing Strict Press. Performing them standing forces the lifter to engage their abs and also stresses the lower back. This just isn't the case when performed seated. This is why you can lift more when you perform them seated (they are easier).

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
do both. change is good. seated, standing, barbell, dumbell, clean and press. Here is one that will kill you..or does me. Seated dumbell clean and press. it frys your entire shoulder. I only use 50lb db's for sets of 12 but talk about an insane burn.

You can't perform a "real" clean seated. To perform a "real" Olympic clean you must be standing.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic