Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

My weight loss stopped

W

whatsup

MuscleHead
Apr 11, 2017
I lost 20 lbs in less than 3 months from cutting back on carbs and calories however, for a month or so, I've plateau and stay in the same weight range and can't seem to drop another 8 lbs to reach my goal.

Is there anything I need to do?

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
We all reach plateaus. What I tell my clients is if they lose weight and they hit a plateau just continue to do what you're doing and let your body readjust to its new homeostasis. Then you can make adjustments to either increase your cardio / exercise output to burn more calories or you can make adjustments to your calories.

Not knowing your diet, your stats, your exercise regimen etc very difficult to make a recommendation based on the information provided

Your body does not want to lose weight continuously that's where the plateaus can come in just stick with where you're at I always suggest six to eight weeks just to allow your body to readjust like noted above. And then reassess what you're doing and move forward. I know 6 to 8 weeks seems like a long time but depending on the percentage of body weight you lost I don't know what that 20 lb represents it could be a high percentage or a low percentage. Let your body get into the groove of your new current weight and then like mentioned above reassess your best plan

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
What’s your BF% right now, roughly? Are you at 10% or are you higher? Can be hard to get below 10%bf. Maybe try increasing protien to increase metabolism for a bit. You burn more calories digesting protein than carbs or fats too. Or you could try full Keto and drop all carbs. If you’re not afraid of the suppliment route you could add a caffeine/ ephedrine combo or Clen/ T3 combo. Wouldn’t suggest the second one unless you are at least on trt. Natural test production drops a lot when dieting and T3 would eat more muscle than you would want. But even a replacement dose of T3 while dieting hard could do wonders by increasing your metabolism, which slows during a diet as well. You could add in some HGH if you have the funds also. Even 2ius a day of a quality generic could do wonders also on a cut, by increasing lipolysis. Another option if you think you’re still eating too much you could try some semiglutide to help with appetite. But we definitely need more info to really help. Where did you start- weight/ BF% wise? Where are you at now? What is your diet right now? How many carbs, protein, fats roughly? Are you taking any testosterone or AAS? And other weight loss supplements/ drugs currently? Any health issues? High blood pressure or diabetes?

Last edited:
genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I really cannot answer this without more information. What have you done so far for diet and cardio in detail? What is your no BS current body fat? How is your training in the gym? Have you experienced a loss in strength or endurance? How much are you sleeping at night? Do you have any life stressors that could be causing you to hold body fat? Are you taking any ergogenic aids?

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
For me, if I have a kind of cheat-ish week where I consume quite a bit more clean calories where I am not in a deficit anymore, when I get back to the stricter diet I push through and start loosing again. I think your body starts to think you are starving and goes into savings mode. Eating a little more than you need allows you to start loosing again when you cut down again.

Also ever done Keto? This works for everyone I have ever seen and fast too. But, it is tough if you have a family who does not eat keto.

W

whatsup

MuscleHead
Apr 11, 2017
My body fat is 24 now and bmi 28. Months ago, body fat 29 and bmi 31.
I eat protein and some carbs.
Example breakfast 2 eggs with bacon and sometimes toast.
Lunch chicken salad with crackers and occasionally a yogurt.
Dinner meat and avocados and, at times, a small handful of rice.
I used to lift not for bodybuilding but health here and there but got injured.

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
I asked one of the most impressive gym rats I have ever seen "how can I get past a BF reduction stall"? He told me to eat more on certain days. Now we have the 5:2 and it works for me. 5 days in a deficit 2 days in which I make up but DO NOT exceed my weekly target calories.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
My body fat is 24 now and bmi 28. Months ago, body fat 29 and bmi 31.
I eat protein and some carbs.
Example breakfast 2 eggs with bacon and sometimes toast.
Lunch chicken salad with crackers and occasionally a yogurt.
Dinner meat and avocados and, at times, a small handful of rice.
I used to lift not for bodybuilding but health here and there but got injured.

To achieve sustained weight loss on a small caloric defecit is the goal. To achieve that, you need two metrics for staying on track: you need to know your BMR (how many calories do you need each day to maintain weight, not gaining and not losing) and how many calories and what macros are you actually eating each day. Both of these are critical to make continuous progress.

Your description of your diet seems to indicate you are not using either measure for guidance. Further, your statement that you used to lift for health here and there but got injured begs whether you are even lifting currently.

You can lose weight without regular weight lifting, but are likely to lose muscle in the process. Also, it is easier to lose weight if exercising regularly, especially weight lifting, due to increased caloric use from exercise, from increased metabolic rate, and over time from larger demands as your body becomes more fit and you have greater muscle mass.

Consistency will be the key to all of this. If you want to do this right, start lifting regularly. Re-hab those injuries. Start tracking your food consumption (what are you eating and how much of it) as well as calories and macros (find a good food journal to do this). Get to a point where your daily caloric intake and macros are the same, day in and day out. From a starting point where you are maintaining weight for a month or two, start reducing your calories slightly (no more than a 500 calorie per day defecit) and watch the weight come off. Don't cut more than 2 lbs per week on average.

For macros you should get as many grams protein as your bodyweight, 1.0 gram per lb bodyweight, to 1.5 grams protein per lb bodyweight. Fats should be below 100 grams per day and carbs will fill the caloric gap (when you add up calores from protein and calories from fat, use carbs to fill in until you are at yo caloric goal for the day.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I asked one of the most impressive gym rats I have ever seen "how can I get past a BF reduction stall"? He told me to eat more on certain days. Now we have the 5:2 and it works for me. 5 days in a deficit 2 days in which I make up but DO NOT exceed my weekly target calories.
I have found your style as the best approach and there are several variations on how to set it up.

The 5:2 is like the Bodyopus diet Dan Duchane put out. High 2 days with 5 days of no carbs, which essentially were low days. He had it split up to both the high days were on the weekends in order to get a couple days in ketosis at the end of the week, but I think a better adaptation would have been a 3:1, as it has been shown that it only takes 3-4 days of being in a calorie deficit of 500+ calories for thyroid production to slow. Sure, you wouldn't get the 1-3 days in ketosis, but keeping the thyroid function high would probably work out better.

I found having high, low and even medium days throughout the week works best. First, you get calories in when you need them most. I train 4 days a week, so I have 3 medium days, 1 high day and 3 low days when I am cutting. I change 1 medium day to a high day when I am growing. This guarantees I have calories (carbs) when I need them for performance. Protein is the same for all days. Carbs on high days are 500-700 grams, medium days are 250-275 grams and low days are 50 grams. Fats on high days and medium days are 50-60 grams and on low days are 75-100 grams. I am on TRT, so not worried about high and medium day fats crushing my test. If I was setting this up for a natural guy, I will keep the fats a little higher. Second, having a set up like this, cravings are very, very low. I never have two low days in a row. I used to train MTThF, so my low days were SSu. Nope, that sucked us and my training on M suffered even if F was my high day. I switched it up to MWThS with S being my high day during cutting and WS being my high days during growing. Works freaking great.

W

whatsup

MuscleHead
Apr 11, 2017
To achieve sustained weight loss on a small caloric defecit is the goal. To achieve that, you need two metrics for staying on track: you need to know your BMR (how many calories do you need each day to maintain weight, not gaining and not losing) and how many calories and what macros are you actually eating each day. Both of these are critical to make continuous progress.

Your description of your diet seems to indicate you are not using either measure for guidance. Further, your statement that you used to lift for health here and there but got injured begs whether you are even lifting currently.

You can lose weight without regular weight lifting but are likely to lose muscle in the process. Also, it is easier to lose weight if exercising regularly, especially weight lifting, due to increased caloric use from exercise, from increased metabolic rate, and over time from larger demands as your body becomes more fit and you have greater muscle mass.

Consistency will be the key to all of this. If you want to do this right, start lifting regularly. Re-hab those injuries. Start tracking your food consumption (what are you eating and how much of it) as well as calories and macros (find a good food journal to do this). Get to a point where your daily caloric intake and macros are the same, day in and day out. From a starting point where you are maintaining weight for a month or two, start reducing your calories slightly (no more than a 500 calorie per day defecit) and watch the weight come off. Don't cut more than 2 lbs per week on average.

For macros you should get as many grams protein as your bodyweight, 1.0 gram per lb bodyweight, to 1.5 grams protein per lb bodyweight. Fats should be below 100 grams per day and carbs will fill the caloric gap (when you add up calores from protein and calories from fat, use carbs to fill in until you are at yo caloric goal for the day.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Thank you. I'm going to try lifting again.
When you say carbs will fill in the caloric gap.. can you please explain? Like how many carbs am I allowed daily. To lose weight, I need to be at 1500 calories a day.

CFM

CFM

Mar 18, 2012
I have a question. Weight loss or fat loss?

CFM

CFM

Mar 18, 2012
A stall in 'weight loss" as the result of muscle hypertrophy could be a good thing. The Anabolic Switch can activate as BF drops and T becomes free to be utilized.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic