Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

My new business (pic attached)

J

J2048b

MuscleHead
Jul 2, 2012
Congrat mf! U will do great! U have a lot of knowledge!

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
Hope it all works out mini just leave one section for the peptides lol

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Hey MF. This is great news. Is it a single store front, part of a franchise, or a chain of stores? If you don't mind me asking, will this mean you will own two stores (I thought you owned one now), or only one?

One word if caution: if this is your second storefront, be ready for this. Owning a second business or opening in a second location, does not allow you to enjoy the economies of scale that most people think. People I know and trust (and I have witnessed this myself) say that opening a second location (or buying a business in a second location) is almost as much work as starting in the first location, so be ready to hire more help with your existing store and the new business. I have also heard and witnessed, on multiple occasions, that starting or purchasing a second business is a very risky time for an existing business owner, and creates an increased likelihood that both businesses will fail.

All of this is to say: Plan for the worst case scenario (i.e. losing customers and key employees, or having a natural disaster) at both businesses, then you should be ready for any and all challenges that might come up. Good luck with it buddy, I hope everything goes very well for you.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Looks great. Best of luck with your new venture.

Tiny

Tiny

Dec 12, 2011
Great news. Wish you the best!

Why is the owner selling?
How long has it been established?
What have margins looked like since opening?

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Thanks guys ~ I don't have time to write much at the moment but to bullet point:

** It's a franchise but the store owners own the head lease rather than the franchisor
** Single store (only one in Christchurch, one other in the South Island) and 25+ stores up in the North Island
** The Franchisor is definately looking at opening more stores in the South Island within the next 2-5yrs and we will be given the first opportunity to buy
** Owner is selling because they are retiring. Hardy's as a group has been around since the 80's. The current owners have owned this store since it opened 14yrs ago, I have worked with the company as a store manager for 7yrs
** Margins and profit are both very good and the group has experienced steady growth over the last few years despite the earthquakes and difficult economy, we've spent a few months running the numbers with the figures for the last three years trading. Franchise/advertising fees are around 5%, overheads and expenses are fairly high but then it is prime location in a busy mall. Foot traffic is excellent

WW ~ this will be my first store. I did look at purchasing another one a couple of years back but the timing wasn't quite right.

Last edited:
woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Very cool bro. And exciting, too.

If this is your first time owning a business, don't forget the profit and loss statement does not include the principal payments on your loan. So when you look at how much profit you will have in a year, you must then subtract the principal payments each year to have a good picture of how much money you will have left over for yourself.

That is a classic newbie mistake, and if you have good business advisors, i am sure you already have been told this. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
marx

marx

MuscleHead
Sep 29, 2010
Best to you MF. Looks like a great beginning. Wishing you much and smooth goodness!

Billthebutcher

Billthebutcher

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2011
Good Luck hope it comes through....

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Nice clean looking place I'm sure you will do well.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic