jacobss
What's New?

Life Insurance

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
New guy here with a question.

I dont know my ass from a hole in the ground about this life insuarnce bizness. I need to do something this stage and age in my life, i dont have 1,000s of dollar lqying around to start throwing at investments, just a regular blue collar guy trying to survive. What would be a suggestion to get started in with least amount of money to start...if possible.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010

I dont know my ass from a hole in the ground about this life insuarnce bizness. I need to do something this stage and age in my life, i dont have 1,000s of dollar lqying around to start throwing at investments, just a regular blue collar guy trying to survive. What would be a suggestion to get started in with least amount of money to start...if possible.

Ask about Term Life policy. You can usually get a million dollar policy for maybe $20 a month. Could be cheaper. Best option is to shop around. Advice always is that you get a policy of your salary x 10 years.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011

Like Jack said get a Term Life Policy. At your age and health you can get $1mil reasonably. Don't worry they don't raise your premium for bein ugly!! Just make sure you get your policy from a 'A' rated Company or higher
This site will give you the basics of what you may need and expect to pay.
www.selectquote.com is actually a pretty good site for term

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
this is the truth. Consult a financial planner who is a fiduciary. They have an ethical duty as part of their job, to advise their clients in their best interest first and foremost.

BINGO!

Not everyone can do their own investing and financial planning, particularly if they have lots of assets and are very busy making big decisions and big bucks. Very few millionaires and multi-millionaires and beyond can do everything themselves - tax and estate planning, growth and income, gifting and trusts, etc, etc.

I mostly get paid a flat %... the more $ my clients have, the more I make. So screwing them is not in my best interest. And my clients tend to be more sophisticated investors who also have lawyers and accountants who are in the picture as well, so I wouldn't likely get away with screwing anyone for very long anyway.

Anything above that flat % comes from small upfront commissions on the odd insurance policy or annuity - and a higher % and a performance fee I charge on one smaller, more aggressive growth fund that is not for everyone... that I put most of my own $ into along with a few bucks here and there from a few more aggressive investors.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
I agree with others that the cheaper term life policy is generally best for those who don't necessarily have a huge amount of money and /or a super high income. Something for the family if something unexpected happened to you.

And insurance skips probate and is shielded from creditors, and will get into your beneficiary's hands quickly after your death, without any taxes coming out.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
I put a lump sum into a variable annuity a few years ago. I add something to it regularly, and look forward to probably drawing 5% or so on it in about 15 years. It will be one of several nice streams of incomes I will have to fall back on. And it will be "for life", should I choose to draw on it and not let it just continue to grow.

If bonds are yielding very little in 15 years and if stock dividends aren't looking so hot, it's nice to know there's something else I can draw on.

I'm also putting a little into a life policy for tax reasons as well.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I put a lump sum into a variable annuity a few years ago. I add something to it regularly, and look forward to probably drawing 5% or so on it in about 15 years. It will be one of several nice streams of incomes I will have to fall back on. And it will be "for life", should I choose to draw on it and not let it just continue to grow.

If bonds are yielding very little in 15 years and if stock dividends aren't looking so hot, it's nice to know there's something else I can draw on.

I'm also putting a little into a life policy for tax reasons as well.

This is exactly the rationale behind investing in annuities and/or life insurance (the same thing???). And I think this works for not only people with a lot of money, but also for people who have little money to waste, who don't know enough to invest their own money. If you don't have a lot of money, knowing you'll get a guaranteed return slightly higher than historic inflation, is a very valuable thing.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
BINGO!

Not everyone can do their own investing and financial planning, particularly if they have lots of assets and are very busy making big decisions and big bucks. Very few millionaires and multi-millionaires and beyond can do everything themselves - tax and estate planning, growth and income, gifting and trusts, etc, etc.

I mostly get paid a flat %... the more $ my clients have, the more I make. So screwing them is not in my best interest. And my clients tend to be more sophisticated investors who also have lawyers and accountants who are in the picture as well, so I wouldn't likely get away with screwing anyone for very long anyway.

Anything above that flat % comes from small upfront commissions on the odd insurance policy or annuity - and a higher % and a performance fee I charge on one smaller, more aggressive growth fund that is not for everyone... that I put most of my own $ into along with a few bucks here and there from a few more aggressive investors.

LMAO JR!! I didn't mean to use such a broad brush, we all know there is exceptions to the rule. You seem like a genuine good guy as you share good tips and investments here.
But we also know most planners\investors that work at big box Investment Companies are for lack of a better word 'salesmen'. They sell company templates that benefit ..their company at the expense of the client. Like selling a young family with meager means a whole life policy. We have also seen MANY rich sports\public figures get took for every cent by their fiduciary.
I just recommend everyone takes a interest in their nesteggs and learn how to put your money to work and be that extra pair of eyes on the 'fiduciary''. Don't Invest and Forget.
Sounds like you work for a private firm or yourself? A different game for sure as most private firms have a minimum investment, some as high as $1mil. They're a lil more hands on

Anyways didn't mean to impune your integrity JR

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
LMAO JR!! I didn't mean to use such a broad brush, we all know there is exceptions to the rule. You seem like a genuine good guy as you share good tips and investments here.
But we also know most planners\investors that work at big box Investment Companies are for lack of a better word 'salesmen'. They sell company templates that benefit ..their company at the expense of the client. Like selling a young family with meager means a whole life policy. We have also seen MANY rich sports\public figures get took for every cent by their fiduciary.
I just recommend everyone takes a interest in their nesteggs and learn how to put your money to work and be that extra pair of eyes on the 'fiduciary''. Don't Invest and Forget.
Sounds like you work for a private firm or yourself? A different game for sure as most private firms have a minimum investment, some as high as $1mil. They're a lil more hands on

I can't disagree with anything you say here bro. And that is why I try never to paint with a broad brush, because the truth lies in the details, which are lost with a broad brush.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Oh, I didn't take anything personally. But I think it's inaccurate to say "most" are "salesmen", etc.

It's a highly regulated industry overall. Some companies regulate themselves more than others, and some train their people better and provide their people a guaranteed income for the first several years so that they won't be so likely to stick it to people and end up getting fired.

"Firms" such as Primerica and Ed Jones are not so good overall - little or no beginning pay, limited investment choices, high upfront fee structure, etc. Primerica is even multilevel marketing. And I've heard and seem some stuff regarding the brokers / agents of these insurance companies as well - high fees, poor (strictly or mostly proprietary) investment choices, brokers churning in the accounts, etc.

I've also heard some bad stuff from people investing with the retail banking arm of one of the world's largest banks - brokers wrongly telling clients they cannot leave for another institution without paying big fees because of their "contract"... or telling them that some of the better and more unique products they offer through other companies were "created specifically for the bank's customers" by the company selling the product - so that the clients wouldn't be tempted to leave for another institution, etc. Lying, basically.

But the better firms such as Wells, Merrill, Goldman, and JPM are better for investors - at least for investors with 6 figures or more. It's unfortunate that the very small investor (under 6 figs) doesn't really benefit from the better firms, and those better firms are generally not interested in them because they have limited funds.

These are the firms where an advisor is not going to be just a "broker" or a "salesman". I became a registered investment advisor many years ago when I left a bank for a big firm. More disclosures and transparency, fiduciary, paid mostly on a % of assets managed, etc.

I have been independent for years, and only deal with accredited investors - and a limited number who I have trained well, at that. :D

I actually had a client (very emotional retirement aged female) ask me years ago "What kind of salesman are you?" when she showed me some hot stock tip some guy at the bar recommended to her, and I immediately told her all the reasons why the investment was not a good idea for her situation, and that the stock was already overpriced and far too risky for her. I told her that unlike her former Ed Jones hack, I was looking out for her best interests. He had not - he would simply do whatever she asked - including buying those "hot stocks" that would end up costing her grief and money, and also not talking her out of putting a couple hundred grand into a VERY obvious ponzi scheme (with an "independent" crook) he should have recognized as such.

What people who cannot do their own investing should do is shop around. And even though I'm independent, I actually advise most people to stick to the big, reputable firms - virtually no chance of getting caught up in a Ponzi, the firms are SIPC insured, insured against theft, etc.

But most people won't shop around for an advisor - they'll just bring their newfound windfall into their local bank, or into the office of an old buddy, or a friend's broker or whatever.

Have any prospective advisor put together a detailed proposal of what they plan to do with your money, disclose all fees, their track record, etc. Most who come into money suddenly simply do what's convenient or invest with their emotions - they do it all wrong.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic