jacobss
What's New?

Life Insurance

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
You cannot and should not make such decisions based upon recommendations from a few people on a BB message board who do not know your particulars and the particulars of the policy.

Shut your dirty mouth! You mean the guys here don't know everything?!?!? ;)

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
JR, you and woodwise clearly know what you're talking about. I'm not a big insurance fan, in fact, I've got none. But I understand that it can have a place in the big overall plan.

LK, getting a financial planner (optimally a CFP), is a good idea. While we could all argue until we're blue in the face about what is the "best" plan, simply having "a plan" gets you most of the way there. And implementing that plan before you're getting close to retirement makes things a lot easier.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
Ok, I see how it is, I'll take my ball and go home... LK another great investment is savings bonds!!!!;)

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Shut your dirty mouth! You mean the guys here don't know everything?!?!? ;)

Perhaps JR has a point. I was only considering the 99% when making my blanket recommendations. I agree that you may want to consult a financial planner, but please not one that sells these crap products. Some of the big company agents call them selves financial planners but really only sell their products. For example, my State Farm agent.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Woods, I like and respect you. Have you considered the actual return to you? There are only two ways that whole life pays off. One, if you die before you've paid for it. Difficult, because the cost of insurance is deducted off the top of your premium. Second, if your investment exceeds the value of the policy. Unlikely unless you bought it 50 years ago. Then you borrow against it and die before you pay it back. Remember, if you die you only get the value of the insurance, not the investment.

There are many people who are comfortable getting the 5% to 7% return that a whole life policy generates on their investment, who are not super wealthy, and who are not comfortable investing in the stock market. Before mutual funds most of the middle class professionals my family knew (many of whom lived through the great depression) would never consider buying stocks, but would invest comfortably in whole life insurance, bonds, CD's and other safe investments.

There are many people today who will never buy stocks because they see it basically as gambling, and they don't know enough to invest without and advisor, and they don't trust advisors. Life insurance, CD's bonds are all things they will consider.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Perhaps JR has a point. I was only considering the 99% when making my blanket recommendations. I agree that you may want to consult a financial planner, but please not one that sells these crap products. Some of the big company agents call them selves financial planners but really only sell their products. For example, my State Farm agent.

this is the truth. Consult a financial planner who is a fiduciary. They have an ethical duty as part of their job, to advise their clients in their best interest first and foremost.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
There are many people who are comfortable getting the 5% to 7% return that a whole life policy generates on their investment, who are not super wealthy, and who are not comfortable investing in the stock market. Before mutual funds most of the middle class professionals my family knew (many of whom lived through the great depression) would never consider buying stocks, but would invest comfortably in whole life insurance, bonds, CD's and other safe investments.

There are many people today who will never buy stocks because they see it basically as gambling, and they don't know enough to invest without and advisor, and they don't trust advisors. Life insurance, CD's bonds are all things they will consider.

Not wise to put your future in someone elses hands. I know more than a few guys that have lost fortunes to shiity investment companies and ''financial planners''. My brother in law, a dumb ass but still, lost everything he had with Charles Schwab. In this day and age you need to be active in your finances, invest and forget no longer cuts it. Google is a wonderful tool :D
Besides if one has a IRA or pension plan, or whole life one is investing in the stock market, he just has no say. Might as well have a say in how your money is handled imo but hey if you're happy with 5% mo power to ya, I'm happy for ya.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
this is the truth. Consult a financial planner who is a fiduciary. They have an ethical duty as part of their job, to advise their clients in their best interest first and foremost.

Funniest post of the day!!:))

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Not wise to put your future in someone elses hands. I know more than a few guys that have lost fortunes to shiity investment companies and ''financial planners''. My brother in law, a dumb ass but still, lost everything he had with Charles Schwab. In this day and age you need to be active in your finances, invest and forget no longer cuts it. Google is a wonderful tool :D
Besides if one has a IRA or pension plan, or whole life one is investing in the stock market, he just has no say. Might as well have a say in how your money is handled imo but hey if you're happy with 5% mo power to ya, I'm happy for ya.

You really don't understand the difference between whole life insurance as a guaranteed annuity versus investing in the markets with financial planners? There is very little risk with the life insurance. The returns are guaranteed. For an unsophisticated investor guaranteed 5% to 7% returns over their lifetimes for them sure does beat the risk of investing in the stock market where in 2008 many people lost as much as 50% of their life savings.

It is only one tool in the bag of investments that people have available to them, but it is the safest and most guaranteed one. The same goes for annuities. You can purchase annuities out there today with 5% to 7% annual guaranteed returns on your money, or you can purchase annuities that are indexed to the DOW or S&P so you are guaranteed those returns on your money annually. For people who don't know how to invest their money in the stock market, or who have no interest in being in the market, and especially for those on fixed incomes and retired, these make excellent financial investments.

There are basically three risks with the insurance / annuity products. 1. You don't get as good a product as you thought (here it is key to know you can trust your insurance guy); 2. the insurance company goes belly up (in which case the reinsurance company steps in so you are good); 3. the reinsurance company fails (if that happens, you are truly f***ed, unless other insurance companies step in as they did in 2008 when AIG failed).

In contrast, there are no guarantees in the stock market or bond market, and you can, and people frequently do, lose everything.

Given the choice between losing everything and having 5% return on my money, you bet I would be happy with 5%.

Last edited:
woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Funniest post of the day!!:))

You don't believe there are ethical people out there, who will give you honest advice and not try to take your money for themselves? I feel sorry for you bro. You must have had one tough life to feel that way about other people.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
You don't believe there are ethical people out there, who will give you honest advice and not try to take your money for themselves? I feel sorry for you bro. You must have had one tough life to feel that way about other people.

Did you miss the whole financial meltdown of 2006? You may want to study it, it answers all your questions and statements.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 2 members watching this topic