jacobss
What's New?

I LOVE Beef Jerky

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Jerky is expensive because it's expensive to make. 5lbs of raw meat for jerky turns out to be less then a lb when it's all said and done. I was on amazon one time and ordered gator jerky off there. Best jerky I have had was venison. I would like to try elk jerky.

Your math is way off bro. You get much more than a lb of jerky out of 5lbs of meat. I'd say you lose 50% to water weight.

Regulator

Regulator

VIP Member
Jan 26, 2011
Your math is way off bro. You get much more than a lb of jerky out of 5lbs of meat. I'd say you lose 50% to water weight.
Yes I was just saying why it's expensive. I have never weighted the after product was just stating. Sorry for the incorrect math. :)

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
It depends what you are making and the fat content. I make slim jim style jerky occasionally out of chop meat and my yield is much higher then using a london broil or thick cut pork chops. Straight meat (not the tubesteak Raiden eats) you lose more is what I have noticed.

Regulator

Regulator

VIP Member
Jan 26, 2011
I have used 85/15 ground beef in my jerky cannon and damn that shit is greasy. I have also used venison in my cannon and it's more dry. I have never used a dehydrator only drying rack and in oven. I'm due up to buy a dehydrator I think it would taste so much better.

OfficialTeragonRe

OfficialTeragonRe

Jul 28, 2012
If I can find one without all the added salt :)

Yaya

Yaya

VIP Member
Jun 25, 2012
Love me some jerky....

Gonna have to hit walmart

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I have used 85/15 ground beef in my jerky cannon and damn that shit is greasy. I have also used venison in my cannon and it's more dry. I have never used a dehydrator only drying rack and in oven. I'm due up to buy a dehydrator I think it would taste so much better.

C'mon Raiden, he said Jerky Cannon!!

Dehydrator makes a huge difference bro.

Bigherm21

Bigherm21

Apr 12, 2012
I shoot deer and make my own. Grow a set Uhc and come down here and we'll go shoot some shit.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
2 pages and no ghey posts about beef... im disappointed.

Where can you buy a dehydrator? Im interested in trying to make my own as well. Not to thrilled to pay 5$ a bag with 6 pieces in it.

RAIDEN, this thread isn't about beef injections...
Ok got that outta the way.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
I don't feel so bad about chowing down on this stuff now. Make our own and can't leave a store without buying a stick or two. beef Jerky da devil!!!!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 2 members watching this topic