Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

GENETICS is EVERYTHING

ProteinFarts

ProteinFarts

Apr 7, 2014
...ps we agree. we are mearly comparing differnt metrics. I was comparing top teirs. You bottom. And yes I agree some just can't grow now matter what. Just as I can never get as big as the guy bigger than me because his genetics out rank mine.

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
Genetics is not everything. To be a world champion you also need determination, guts, perseverance, and a host of other psychological factors. You need luck. You need a lifestyle that is conducive to bodybuilding. You need knowledge of nutrition and the willpower to apply it. You need to know how to train, what your body responds to, and the intestinal fortitude to do it. Mostly you need to love it with a deep and burning passion.

We have all seen genetic freaks who are gifted enough to be champions but who train like pussies and lack the mental toughness and other attributes necessary to ever get there.

Good genetics plus mental toughness and the other championship attributes will beat great genetics alone.

Genetics is a necessary ingredient. But it is not alone sufficient. And therefore, genetics is not everything.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Here is the thing. You can have great genetics and your diet may not be spot on and you would still break to 20. Look at Lee. You could have great genetics and be a bit lazy and still crack top 10, look at flex. But, you could have determination, guts, perseverance, perfect diet and unlimited amounts of the best gear and if you have s hit genetics you wont even hit a national level contest. End of story.

Genetics can make up for a lot of things. I grew up with my best friend Marcus. He was black and until age 14 looked average. At age 14 he started to get abs, then arms, then a wide back. By the time he was 16 he looked like he could step on a local stage and take it easy, all without touching a weight and living off garbage. When he did hit the weights he went from 160 to 200 inside of two years drug free living off fruit punch and fudge. 27" waist, 17" arms and maybe 8% BF year round. I been juicing for 7 years and don't come close to looking as good as he did then.

All the other stuff is important but without great g
enetics you might get a bit bigger and a bit stronger but you aint gonna be competing.

Last edited:
DrMehta

DrMehta

Apr 5, 2014
Genetics is everything, in every walk of life. That being said there is no reason you can not be good if you only have average genetics in something, you will never be great but being good is something.

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010

All the other stuff is important but without great g
enetics you might get a bit bigger and a bit stronger but you aint gonna be competing.

I basically agree with this statement. And I agree that gear, even in massive amounts, will not make up for bad genetics. I would simply add that genetics sets a range potential, not an either or, and that without drive and hard work and the other factors you will never know how far you can go. Which for me is another way of saying that having genetic potential is essential, but that genetic potential alone is not everything.

I would also agree that if all other factors are equal, the competitor with the best genetics will win. On the other hand, as between competitors with essentially equal genetics, work ethic and the other factors will determine the winner.

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
Genetics,drugs,training/nutrition in that order.i bet that most of the people in the iron den train harder than most pros but what separate us is genetics and response to gear.lets take phil Heath.genetic freak.never seen a hyper responder to gear.without the gear his 198 pound beach body physic with the gear well the rest is history.i have been around pros in the 90s along with some big ass gym rats and honestly it comes down to genetic response to gear.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Genetics,drugs,training/nutrition in that order.i bet that most of the people in the iron den train harder than most pros but what separate us is genetics and response to gear.lets take phil Heath.genetic freak.never seen a hyper responder to gear.without the gear his 198 pound beach body physic with the gear well the rest is history.i have been around pros in the 90s along with some big ass gym rats and honestly it comes down to genetic response to gear.

I agree for the most part, but its not just genetic response to gear. Its genetic ability to eat 6,000+ calories per day and not get sick. Its the genetic ability to actually build 20+ ripped arms etc. I wouldn't matter how many drugs I had or how much food I ate, my genetics will never allow me to have 20+ arms and 20" calves. Never gonna happen. This is the part people don't understand.

1bigun11 said:
I basically agree with this statement. And I agree that gear, even in massive amounts, will not make up for bad genetics. I would simply add that genetics sets a range potential, not an either or, and that without drive and hard work and the other factors you will never know how far you can go. Which for me is another way of saying that having genetic potential is essential, but that genetic potential alone is not everything.

I would also agree that if all other factors are equal, the competitor with the best genetics will win. On the other hand, as between competitors with essentially equal genetics, work ethic and the other factors will determine the winne

Agreed

BD Cool

BD Cool

VIP Member
Dec 1, 2011
I find it odd that Rich is saying genetics are everything & his muscles look like breast implants.

ProteinFarts

ProteinFarts

Apr 7, 2014
Genetics is not everything. To be a world champion you also need determination, guts, perseverance, and a host of other psychological factors. You need luck. You need a lifestyle that is conducive to bodybuilding. You need knowledge of nutrition and the willpower to apply it. You need to know how to train, what your body responds to, and the intestinal fortitude to do it. Mostly you need to love it with a deep and burning passion.

We have all seen genetic freaks who are gifted enough to be champions but who train like pussies and lack the mental toughness and other attributes necessary to ever get there.

Good genetics plus mental toughness and the other championship attributes will beat great genetics alone.

Genetics is a necessary ingredient. But it is not alone sufficient. And therefore, genetics is not everything.

Aside from Ronie Colmen and Dorain Yates, most top tier guys with the genetics, I see training in videos, have abisimal form - like quarter range movements and body rocking. So if it wasn't for their genetics and ten lbs of gear each month they would likely not be much bigger than me. Which isn't very large by body building standards.

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
Aside from Ronie Colmen and Dorain Yates, most top tier guys with the genetics, I see training in videos, have abisimal form - like quarter range movements and body rocking. So if it wasn't for their genetics and ten lbs of gear each month they would likely not be much bigger than me. Which isn't very large by body building standards.

The problem with that attitude is that you are defeated before you ever get going. Whenever you see someone bigger than you, your excuse for your own lack of size is going to be that they just have better genetics and use more gear. It is like the fat person who would rather complain about his gland problem than go on a diet. Rather than whining about crappy genetics, why not try some partial reps and burns and do some cheating movements to mix things up. You will find that kind of training is freaking intense.

Of course if you grew from that type of intense training then you would run the risk that someone smaller than you would say that you owe all of your size to your superior genetics and massive drug usage. Oh well.....

ProteinFarts

ProteinFarts

Apr 7, 2014
The problem with that attitude is that you are defeated before you ever get going. Whenever you see someone bigger than you, your excuse for your own lack of size is going to be that they just have better genetics and use more gear. It is like the fat person who would rather complain about his gland problem than go on a diet. Rather than whining about crappy genetics, why not try some partial reps and burns and do some cheating movements to mix things up. You will find that kind of training is freaking intense.

Of course if you grew from that type of intense training then you would run the risk that someone smaller than you would say that you owe all of your size to your superior genetics and massive drug usage. Oh well.....

Oh trust me I have no attitude of that type :) Mr O's aside. Lets talk normal joes. I am a realist though. Lets face it. With lots of gear you can break out of any genetics limited growth. But without it, you can manipulate what god gave you with hard work and determination, but are somewhat limited to by its predetermined confines. If I stay lean, I am as about as big as I can get. And trust me I can't workout any harder, or eat any more or better, or sleep any more. In the end, all you can do is push yourself as hard as you can, and be the best "you" can be. In other words, I compare myself to me.

Last edited:
gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I find it odd that Rich is saying genetics are everything & his muscles look like breast implants.

Thats what synthol does for you. Funny how many people on the forum love it and defend it so much. I guess thats what you do when you don't have the genetics to actually build a muscle. Just inject enough oil and presto! Instant calves, side delts, etc.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic