Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Fu$!#&ing pec tear

Dawgpound Hank

Dawgpound Hank

VIP Member
Mar 20, 2023
I was listening to Dave Tate today talking about all the injuries he had and he mentioned not once did he suffer an injury pushing big weights. It was always with weights he was repping out with and he just lost focus.
Kinda same here, but I can't say I lost focus. I guess the "big weights" is relative - I don't call it big weight if I can rep it 12x (unless on big leg exercises, which I rarely go below 12 reps). I call it big weight if I can rep it 6x - for ME, that is. I initially tore my pec doing DB flat press 9 weeks ago. My normal gig, and also that day was 30's x 30, 55's x 20, 80's x 12, 100's x 8. So all of those are super easy. Don't wanna tax myself for my work-set. That may seem overkill on the warm-ups, but keep in mind I have bad RC's, so that's why - playing it safe. Next set was my work-set with 120's. The 3 prior workouts I had got it for 10-12 reps. I was EXTREMELY focused, as I always am when getting close to work-sets especially. On this day, 3rd rep and POW, it bit me.

When I initially tore this pec was 2005 - doing incline Smith press. Same scenario. I normally worked up to 365 x 5-6. I was doing 315, which normally I could get for 12 reps. On that day, the 7th rep got me.

I know alot of guys DO tear their pec close to maxing out on flat bb bench, but indeed, it often happens with lesser weight, as Tate mentioned, and in my own case. Be careful amigo - you are approaching 50 I believe, and you use some serious poundages.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Kinda same here, but I can't say I lost focus. I guess the "big weights" is relative - I don't call it big weight if I can rep it 12x (unless on big leg exercises, which I rarely go below 12 reps). I call it big weight if I can rep it 6x - for ME, that is. I initially tore my pec doing DB flat press 9 weeks ago. My normal gig, and also that day was 30's x 30, 55's x 20, 80's x 12, 100's x 8. So all of those are super easy. Don't wanna tax myself for my work-set. That may seem overkill on the warm-ups, but keep in mind I have bad RC's, so that's why - playing it safe. Next set was my work-set with 120's. The 3 prior workouts I had got it for 10-12 reps. I was EXTREMELY focused, as I always am when getting close to work-sets especially. On this day, 3rd rep and POW, it bit me.

When I initially tore this pec was 2005 - doing incline Smith press. Same scenario. I normally worked up to 365 x 5-6. I was doing 315, which normally I could get for 12 reps. On that day, the 7th rep got me.

I know alot of guys DO tear their pec close to maxing out on flat bb bench, but indeed, it often happens with lesser weight, as Tate mentioned, and in my own case. Be careful amigo - you are approaching 50 I believe, and you use some serious poundages.
Yeah, I have kind of backed off a bit, but still push it sometimes. Especially on leg and back days. In the last two years I tore my hamstring and soleus on my left side, partials, so no surgeries required. Neither one was from my ego either. The weights were heavy, but they were weights I would still get 12+ reps with. Right around rep 3-4, bam!

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Yeah, I have kind of backed off a bit, but still push it sometimes. Especially on leg and back days. In the last two years I tore my hamstring and soleus on my left side, partials, so no surgeries required. Neither one was from my ego either. The weights were heavy, but they were weights I would still get 12+ reps with. Right around rep 3-4, bam!

That sucks!:(

I tore my right calf back in 2014. It was a partial, but it is smaller than my left for sure and noticeable. No surgery was required either. I was at a job luncheon function we used to do every year in the spring for fun. I got bombarded with water balloons and I tried to turn into Jackie Chan trying to jump and dodge them....well, that didn't work out too well, lol. I landed wrong when coming down and dropped like a sack of potatos. I jumped back up and knew immediately I screwed it up. I couldn't even walk without assistance....it effin' hurt like a BITCH!!! Weighing 280+ didn't help for sure. I was just getting ready to kick it in gear for summer too:(

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic