Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Ebola being brought into the USA

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
Some many great things coming out of Africa these days!

Joliver

Joliver

MuscleHead
Jan 19, 2014
Who is saying it's not airborne? It sort of is. Not as readily transmitted thru the air as say a cold but if there is blood in a patient's sputum then it's certainly possible. But even in those cases "close contact" is required. You wouldn't get it by sitting next to someone in a coffee shop unless they bleed in your coffee.

In a hospital setting if very strict PPE controls are not taken by staff it can spread rapidly in a clinical setting. I think with this emerging pathogen (in the US) and all eyes on these facilities they will likely be more cautious. They will likely use almost exclusively single use instruments on the patient.

I think part of why there is no vaccine for this disease is because until recently there have not been large scale outbreaks garnering national attention. Even after the movie outbreak first aired.

It also has many unknowns. If you don't fully understand the etiology of a disease then it's tough to prevent beyond isolation and quarantine. We still don't know how the virus winds up infecting human populations. It's apparently zoonotic but what animal is it coming from? What do we look for in animal populations as a sign that they are infected.

Exciting times for me with this going on. There is so much for us to learn about these events. I am actually trying to get myself shipped over there to work but the locals are starting to chase the clinicians and public health folks out of their villages.

"Ebola doesn't spread through airborne or waterborne methods. It spreads through contact with organs and bodily fluids such as blood, saliva, urine and other secretions of infected people."--CNN

"
Ebola spreads through close contact with bodily fluids and blood, meaning it is not spread as easily as airborne influenza."--Fox News

"Ebola spreads in the community through human-to-human transmission, with infection resulting from direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people, and indirect contact with environments contaminated with such fluids. Burial ceremonies in which mourners have direct contact with the body of the deceased person can also play a role in the transmission of Ebola. Men who have recovered from the disease can still transmit the virus through their semen for up to 7 weeks after recovery from illness."--WHO

"
When an infection does occur in humans, there are several ways in which the virus can be transmitted to others. These include:
  • direct contact with the blood or secretions of an infected person
  • exposure to objects (such as needles) that have been contaminated with infected secretions"--CDC

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
"Ebola doesn't spread through airborne or waterborne methods. It spreads through contact with organs and bodily fluids such as blood, saliva, urine and other secretions of infected people."--CNN

"
Ebola spreads through close contact with bodily fluids and blood, meaning it is not spread as easily as airborne influenza."--Fox News

"Ebola spreads in the community through human-to-human transmission, with infection resulting from direct contact (through broken skin or mucous membranes) with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected people, and indirect contact with environments contaminated with such fluids. Burial ceremonies in which mourners have direct contact with the body of the deceased person can also play a role in the transmission of Ebola. Men who have recovered from the disease can still transmit the virus through their semen for up to 7 weeks after recovery from illness."--WHO

"
When an infection does occur in humans, there are several ways in which the virus can be transmitted to others. These include:
  • direct contact with the blood or secretions of an infected person
  • exposure to objects (such as needles) that have been contaminated with infected secretions"--CDC

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that the media get it wrong.... what stupidity. You need education to prevent disease. Misinformation only breeds hysteria.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
Some many great things coming out of Africa these days!

Hell yes!! Now we get to be just like them!! Yeaaauuu!! Bleeding out your eyes, ears, nose ..asss but IC already bleeds out there so thats not new but Hell Yea!!! Lets be like the Turd World

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
I wonder how much better care the two Americans will receive at Emory U hospital compared to if we had sent a few highliy trained physician, etc. over to where they were? I'm guessing someone ran that calculation, and compared that benefit to the costs and risks and made the decision. At least I hope somebody, somewhere was making that calculation. Then again, it is the gov't we're talking about.

I'm more concerned with communicable diseases and biological agents coming into the country through our porous southern border. If Al Qaeda has no problem with strapping explosives to themselves and detonating to kill the great satan, seems like it would be pretty darn easy to infect a martyr with ebola or smallpox or whatever, and simply walk up to an border partol agent and get "processed." How many people would get infected before they figured it out?

Thanks Obama. At least you'll get a few more democrat votes in November.

This is one of the top docs and he said there was absolutely no good reason to bring them here. Think about this..we've never treated a ebola patient here, Africa has treated thousands

Last edited by a moderator:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Yeah this sucks... I gotta say I'm not happy at all with their decision to bring it here nor am I happy that the CDC is here in the south.

Joliver

Joliver

MuscleHead
Jan 19, 2014
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that the media get it wrong.... what stupidity. You need education to prevent disease. Misinformation only breeds hysteria.

I unequivocally believe that.

J

Jacko0510

Jul 12, 2014
**** that as soon as a bsl4 pathogen reaches a densely populated area who knows how it might mutate. Keep it over there and take the facilities there. It's like the start of an apocalyptic film where the whole audience says " why the **** are your transporting that virus to USA?" Personally I think it's a big mistake

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic