jacobss
What's New?

Ebola being brought into the USA

Joliver

Joliver

MuscleHead
Jan 19, 2014
What's ur opinion?

It's obvious we have the best medical facilties and experts in the world but I wish we sent our health professionals and equipment to them in Africa..

All it takes is 1 fumble to change the course of the game

I agree that they should be treated over here, but for god sakes.....for the media and the medical community to pretend that ebola isn't airborne transmissible is bothersome. It reminds me of those idiot marine biologists that spend all their time trying to convince people sharks cant see well underwater and accidentally attack humans--so dont hurt them m'kay?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I agree that they should be treated over here, but for god sakes.....for the media and the medical community to pretend that ebola isn't airborne transmissible is bothersome. It reminds me of those idiot marine biologists that spend all their time trying to convince people sharks cant see well underwater and accidentally attack humans--so dont hurt them m'kay?

Who is saying it's not airborne? It sort of is. Not as readily transmitted thru the air as say a cold but if there is blood in a patient's sputum then it's certainly possible. But even in those cases "close contact" is required. You wouldn't get it by sitting next to someone in a coffee shop unless they bleed in your coffee.

In a hospital setting if very strict PPE controls are not taken by staff it can spread rapidly in a clinical setting. I think with this emerging pathogen (in the US) and all eyes on these facilities they will likely be more cautious. They will likely use almost exclusively single use instruments on the patient.

I think part of why there is no vaccine for this disease is because until recently there have not been large scale outbreaks garnering national attention. Even after the movie outbreak first aired.

It also has many unknowns. If you don't fully understand the etiology of a disease then it's tough to prevent beyond isolation and quarantine. We still don't know how the virus winds up infecting human populations. It's apparently zoonotic but what animal is it coming from? What do we look for in animal populations as a sign that they are infected.

Exciting times for me with this going on. There is so much for us to learn about these events. I am actually trying to get myself shipped over there to work but the locals are starting to chase the clinicians and public health folks out of their villages.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
The CDC and government has falsely sold our country as "Too clean to spread this kind of disease". Bullshit. We have become complacent and the threat of it spreading here is very real, very serious, and very probable when you deliberately introduce it to our country. I have discussed this case with several ER docs, one being in the department of health, and several other general surgeons etc, and they all agree that this is absolutely a threat and should not have been brought here

I just caught the airborn thing, so editing here.

Most people don't realize it's air born, and the gvoernment is keeping that part hush hush. They aren't denying it, per say, but they aren't stating that it is, either.

sup3r_man

sup3r_man

Jul 28, 2014
I've always been afraid of something like this happening. I think we should help the people in the other countries but when you make a movie about a certain disease then we shouldn't bring it over here.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
Who is saying it's not airborne? It sort of is. Not as readily transmitted thru the air as say a cold but if there is blood in a patient's sputum then it's certainly possible. But even in those cases "close contact" is required. You wouldn't get it by sitting next to someone in a coffee shop unless they bleed in your coffee.

In a hospital setting if very strict PPE controls are not taken by staff it can spread rapidly in a clinical setting. I think with this emerging pathogen (in the US) and all eyes on these facilities they will likely be more cautious. They will likely use almost exclusively single use instruments on the patient.

I think part of why there is no vaccine for this disease is because until recently there have not been large scale outbreaks garnering national attention. Even after the movie outbreak first aired.

It also has many unknowns. If you don't fully understand the etiology of a disease then it's tough to prevent beyond isolation and quarantine. We still don't know how the virus winds up infecting human populations. It's apparently zoonotic but what animal is it coming from? What do we look for in animal populations as a sign that they are infected.

Exciting times for me with this going on. There is so much for us to learn about these events. I am actually trying to get myself shipped over there to work but the locals are starting to chase the clinicians and public health folks out of their villages.

I heard if you go to Africa to work, you come back with 200lbs added to your total...

and 2" added to your penor

Hittin

Hittin

VIP Member
Jan 24, 2012
If it spreads in the USA I might worry but I doubt it.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Just wait until you see what happens if a disease like that starts to spread. Military going to get involved real fast.

silntrunin

silntrunin

MuscleHead
Aug 30, 2011
Lot of good arguments both ways. My personal opinion is they should not have brought it into the country. I realize the fact that a travelor might bring it here just as well but why take the chance.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I wonder how much better care the two Americans will receive at Emory U hospital compared to if we had sent a few highliy trained physician, etc. over to where they were? I'm guessing someone ran that calculation, and compared that benefit to the costs and risks and made the decision. At least I hope somebody, somewhere was making that calculation. Then again, it is the gov't we're talking about.

I'm more concerned with communicable diseases and biological agents coming into the country through our porous southern border. If Al Qaeda has no problem with strapping explosives to themselves and detonating to kill the great satan, seems like it would be pretty darn easy to infect a martyr with ebola or smallpox or whatever, and simply walk up to an border partol agent and get "processed." How many people would get infected before they figured it out?

Thanks Obama. At least you'll get a few more democrat votes in November.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I wonder how much better care the two Americans will receive at Emory U hospital compared to if we had sent a few highliy trained physician, etc. over to where they were? I'm guessing someone ran that calculation, and compared that benefit to the costs and risks and made the decision. At least I hope somebody, somewhere was making that calculation. Then again, it is the gov't we're talking about.

I'm more concerned with communicable diseases and biological agents coming into the country through our porous southern border. If Al Qaeda has no problem with strapping explosives to themselves and detonating to kill the great satan, seems like it would be pretty darn easy to infect a martyr with ebola or smallpox or whatever, and simply walk up to an border partol agent and get "processed." How many people would get infected before they figured it out?

Thanks Obama. At least you'll get a few more democrat votes in November.

Good question. I am not a clinician so I can't speak in depth but the care for someone with Ebola is supportive care to relieve symptoms. Anti viral drugs don't even work. So fluids, oxygen, something to reduce fever, maybe antibiotics for secondary infections. Not sure what else. But it's not as though they need some special thoracic surgeon to perform a grueling 12 hour procedure. As long as the treatment materials flow to the affected areas that's as good as it gets I think.

Having said that though some villages are running off the NGO'S that are there to help because they think they bring the disease and prefer their "witch doctors" to treat instead.

Regulator

Regulator

VIP Member
Jan 26, 2011
He knew the risks when he went over to help. Sorry but I would rather die then run the risk of infecting hundreds of thousands more only to "try" to save me. It ****ing kills me when we have people here in our own back yards that need help or kids that need adopting but yet everyone like rich movie actors and shit go adopt kids from other country's why can't we help our own first

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic