jacobss
What's New?

dr. jim vs kjetil1234

Status
Not open for further replies.
kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Jul 6, 2014
Op also said he has shoulder pain. Agreed otherwise.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
Op also said he has shoulder pain. Agreed otherwise.

For the record, I'm having my shoulder treated and it's mending. I was wondering about the product itself , if it lived up to the claims of the maker NOT if it healed like magic. Facts like, does it stay in place, does it actually create pressure. I've become , from my own experiences, a believer in applying heat and switching off to icing , on n off. I can say my right shoulder I could barely lift my arm after scar tissue treatment and ice\heat it is 110% healthy, unfortunately Im an old fart and now my left shoulder is trashed.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
I saw a vid from a sports doc that treats pro athletes and he suggested not using ice but instead heat and an estim unit. I thought it was a novel idea.

Draw blood in with nutrients and healing stuff and work out the debris thru the lymphatic system with the estim.

I haven't had a serious sprain to treat (knock on wood) so I don't have any feedback to report.

My chiro has used this on me for years, mehhhh.. I can't say it made a big difference, I think the stim numbs me more than anything. I have had it turned up where the muscles was twitchin like a sumbitch and down low. This treatment I'm doing now, I'll have to find the name, but it's basically breaking up the scar tissue worked on my shoulder and is working on my other. My PT worked with the 9er's years ago and just retired so Im on too a new woman this time..with big boobies:D I like that about her..and her skills too of course

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
Blog or not, doesn't change the chemistry. Well, we don't have to agree on everything, doc. That's fine.

It kind of does matter where it is posted... especially in this day of the internet I'm sure you can find someone out there with a website/blog/forum post to backup ANY opinion (right or wrong) so the importance of source checking is paramount. If I post up on a blog that the world is flat, that doesn't make it so. A little extreme example, yes but if you want to relate it to real life then look at the abundance of libertarian documents showing evidence (yes, evidence) that we should abandon democrasy, disband the police force and hospital system. They actually back up their statements with a surprising amount of proof from, yes, multiple sources. However that doesn't make it more or less correct. Back to my point: it DOES matter where it is posted. If it is a multiple peer reviewed double blind placebo controlled academic study published in a reputable journal then it holds infinitely more weight than a singular person case study from someone no one has heard of. I rarely google information on steroids, I go straight to journals and if only then if I can't find something will I check out forums because on the forums you can get an overwhelming surge of 'broscience' thats just regurgitation of what they've been told and not based on anything more (not much here on TID, but if you look at idiots fight themselves on IIFYM debates and shit)

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Fix the cause of your pain rather than conceal the symptoms?

Ice will slow(not stop) the inflammation. The natural inflammation occurs to promote healing of the area. So, the ice will delay the healing and conceal the symptoms of injury, not fix anything.

http://sock-doc.com/2013/02/recover-prevent-injuries/

Additional info of symptom relief: This is why drugs like NSAIDS are horrible in these cases, as it will break the healing process of the tissue and cause scar tissue. It greatly stunts tissue regeneration (inhibits fibroblasts (cells that regenerate tissue) and macrophages (cells that clean the waste from area))

http://www.caringmedical.com/sports-injuries/nsaids-why-we-do-not-recommend-them/

I am seeing this more and more, especially in the Crossfit community. There seems to be new phenomena that we are completely throwing RICE to the wind and letting the body heal "naturally".

I think this is a gross misinterpretation though. As healthcare professionals, we have to be careful how we word things and make sure the patient and others listening to our advice fully understands what exactly it is you're trying to explain. For instance, when you cut yourself, you will bleed. It's natural, right? However, too much bleeding will cause anemia, and even death. "But I thought it was natural!". Same with swelling. SOME swelling is ok, but too much swelling will NOT allow rapid or efficient healing. Remember that, also, there is a standard of care. If you have a patient that has swelling, and you don't treat it appropriately according to the standards of care because of some newer information that hasn't been established yet as standard of care, you can get your ass in some hot water.

BTW, using the RICE method isn't concealing the symptoms. If ice makes it feeling better, then it's been shown, with well backed studies, that it is treating the problem.

On a final note, I tell people to use ice for 24-48 hours, then use whatever makes it feel better after that. Pain relief using heat or ice IS treating the issue (Pain caused by inflammation, which prevents proper range of motion, possible impingement etc. If it's an infection causing the swelling, well, that's a different story. Antibiotics are needed in that case, not heat or ice.

Last edited:
dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
I saw a vid from a sports doc that treats pro athletes and he suggested not using ice but instead heat and an estim unit. I thought it was a novel idea.

Draw blood in with nutrients and healing stuff and work out the debris thru the lymphatic system with the estim.

I haven't had a serious sprain to treat (knock on wood) so I don't have any feedback to report.

-----------
Oh indeed PB a considerable portion of traditional medicine can and should be questioned but why some are opposed to posting the "evidence" on TID is beyond reason.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I believe some people come to TID for not only the opinions of it's members but a better understanding of medical therapeutics.

To not post articles or have debates on what that evidence is, misses the opportunity to help those when they are hungry for info. Rest assured to contend the best place for these discussions is in the back corner of TID where no one will read them is nuts.

For instance I've pulled and reviewed three of those articles referenced by K's blog. One was an in vitro analysis, another only followed their patients for TWO weeks, and another used a clinical test "drawer sign" to determine if the Patients ankle (ankle sprain patients) had healed. That test although once believed reliable has since been proven to be notoriously unreliable.

But is any of this so unbelievable since essentially all of those blog studies were conducted TWENTY YEARS AGO!

However why should I post any of this info if someone else has a compunction to simply delete it, NOT!

Respects
Jim

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Where was it deleted? It wasn't just moved you are missing the point

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
However why should I post any of this info if someone else has a compunction to simply delete it, NOT!

Respects
Jim
I'm not getting into a pissing match with you, I simply started a new thread to not block up 3 pages of stuff no one is going to read besides the 2 of you for the most part. No one deleted anything and you are thinking people make it through most of your posts and don't stop a few sentences in....
Carry on.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
-----------
Oh indeed PB a considerable portion of traditional medicine can and should be questioned but why some are opposed to posting the "evidence" on TID is beyond reason.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I believe some people come to TID for not only the opinions of it's members but a better understanding of medical therapeutics.

To not post articles or have debates on what that evidence is, misses the opportunity to help those when they are hungry for info. Rest assured to contend the best place for these discussions is in the back corner of TID where no one will read them is nuts.

For instance I've pulled and reviewed three of those articles referenced by K's blog. One was an in vitro analysis, another only followed their patients for TWO weeks, and another used a clinical test "drawer sign" to determine if the Patients ankle (ankle sprain patients) had healed. That test although once believed reliable has since been proven to be notoriously unreliable.

But is any of this so unbelievable since essentially all of those blog studies were conducted TWENTY YEARS AGO!

Respects
Jim

Jim we aren't deleting your posts that I am aware of. And we certainly support debate here at TID. If we didn't there would be nothing to discuss and no reason for the board to exist. You keep doing what you are doing. I think more people are reading what you post than you think. It's good stuff and we can put it to practice and see if it works.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
Jim we aren't deleting your posts that I am aware of. And we certainly support debate here at TID. If we didn't there would be nothing to discuss and no reason for the board to exist. You keep doing what you are doing. I think more people are reading what you post than you think. It's good stuff and we can put it to practice and see if it works.

---------
How can I prove a post was deleted if it's DELETED? ???

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Nothing was deleted. Why would we lie ? I'm not going to argue this with you.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic

Status
Not open for further replies.